PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Pro Color Correction Help

Bryce Welsh
11-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Hello. We shot some footage yesterday using a replica rifle. It looks very realistic other than an orange tip. When filming, I assumed it would be easy to change the vibrant orange color of the rifle's tip to black like the barrel when editing, but it has proved extremely difficult due to the lighting of the scene. I am unable to isolate the orange color of the tip without selecting a similar color in an actor's clothes.

Is there any way of selecting just a small part of the frame to edit? Like circling the tip and have effects that only apply to the circled portion? I also have After Effects and Speed Grade if I'd need to use those. Any tips?

Aaron Jones
12-01-2014, 12:28 AM
After Effects would be a good way to go.

Create Composition to work with your footage. Drag footage to composition. Duplicate the footage by typing Control + D. Mask the first by cutting out the tip of the gun then color it as you wish without coloring the whole scene. This is just one way off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in with a better way.

Mick Scarborough
12-02-2014, 09:00 AM
You should have painted that tip before ever starting the camera. I cant even begin to understand why you would have chosen to eliminate the orange in post when 8 seconds on the set would have solved everything. I hope I am not coming off as harsh but I see too many projects ruined by people thinking computers are the answer to everything. Trust me, in Hollywood, they paint the tip. If its possible, reshoot the scene with the painted tip. If you cant reshoot, then do the masking in After Effects and learn for next time. Good luck.

Bryce Welsh
12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
You should have painted that tip before ever starting the camera. I cant even begin to understand why you would have chosen to eliminate the orange in post when 8 seconds on the set would have solved everything. I hope I am not coming off as harsh but I see too many projects ruined by people thinking computers are the answer to everything. Trust me, in Hollywood, they paint the tip. If its possible, reshoot the scene with the painted tip. If you cant reshoot, then do the masking in After Effects and learn for next time. Good luck.

Neglecting to paint the tip was a very conscious decision we made, and a smart one, too. It wasn't just being lazy or being dependent on computers. If you have a realistic-looking gun out in public and a cop sees you, the law permits the cop to shoot you on the spot. Ever heard of "suicide by police?" Painting the tip would have been a bad move.