PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis - Community Made Movie

Nick Soares
05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Original Thread: http://www.filmmakerforum.org/production/461-community-made-movie.html

From Beneath The Cellar:

"Four young adults decide to investigate an old 1920's hospital with old tails of spirits that have such rage that just seeing or hearing one can drive a person insane. During their investigation they find that the forces of evil they are capturing on camera are leading them to the bottom level of the hospital. They pursue the sounds and images that can only be heard and seen on camera to a fake floor bottom, they dig and remove the floor to find an old cellar door that will lead to all their answers, as well as their eternal suffering."

TO THE WRITERS: I was thinking all four characters end up getting ripped apart in a terrible way. I want this to be a found footage film meets "The Grudge"

Let me know your thoughts.

BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE "Writer" EMAIL LiST ---> http://www.filmmakerforum.org/profile.php?do=editusergroups Click "writer" and save

2001 Productions
05-01-2012, 10:24 AM
How about starting with a logline?

"A forensics team documents its efforts to collect and identify human remains unearthed from the cellar of a condemned hospital. Believing they may have finally found the missing victims of an unsolved serial murder case, the investigators soon discover just how right they are."

or

"A documentary crew records the efforts of a team of archaeologists to identify ancient skeletal remains unearthed from the basement of a condemned cathedral. Believing they may have discovered a heretofore unknown species, the scientists soon learn they are more right than they could have imagined."

Just spitballing... :)

Terry W Drake
05-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Two young boys had discovered an abandoned house while playing in the woods. What they discovered in the cellar has alerted the whole town when they reported their discovery to their parents.

MCubb
05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Glad so many people liked my title!

Here's a logline I've come up with:

"After discovering a trap door in an abandoned winery cellar, two teenagers lower themselves, and a camera, inside, but soon find that the previous vintners were interested in far darker creations than wine."

What comes to mind would be some great creepy shots of dust covered racks of wine bottles, some shatterings of bottles, red wine spilling around, etc.

Nick Soares
05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
REserved For mine <--- Coming Soon

rdhay
05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Logline:

An estranged couple hope to rekindle their relationship on a romantic escape to a remote vineyard, but instead face terror, agony and solitude in the vineyard's deep and dark history.

I'll have a play with that and put together a synopsis to add here.

pkillam
05-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Logline:
A family vacation to an old ruin brings back a curse that manifests in their cellar.

IndieFilmmaker
05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
A group of friends (3 guys, 2 girls) go camping (your typical horror movie)...
They spent the night telling horror stories. One of the guys gets scared the most, so the group decide to play a prank on him in the morning. They leave him at camp site by himself as they take off to the woods to hide.
Their mindset is that it will be funny to see his reaction when he wakes up.

The couple of the film (there's always a couple) end up finding a house in which it has cellar. Inside the cellar there's x-amount of dead bodies.

The camera aspect is simple. Everyone has a camera as they get killed one by one by the person. It can be something along the lines of a friend couldn't go, so they decided to record their camping experience.

Felix
05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Logline: A rescue operation goes underway in a town recently devastated by a hurricane. When the team comes across a cellar door, they discover that the survivors inside are no longer human.

Brief synopsis - I like 2001 Productions' idea of a hospital setting. I'm thinking that a flood/hurricane/freaking tsunami destroys a town and a rescue team of police and trained professionals search for survivors. They come across a cellar door and head inside. It leads them underground to a stream from an aquifer. They follow the stream to the town hospital where they encounter mutated humans and thus begin the fight for their lives.

roninfilmer
05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
A group of college friends purchase a abandoned house with a bad history to start their own party house. With one friend documenting their new party experiences , sounds from beneath the cellar one night wake them up causing them to open the cellar, and unleash a group of imprisoned flesh eating zombies.

MattPrater
05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
A young family, six months pregnant with their second child, relocate to a humble neighborhood and move into an aging Victorian where they install security cameras and baby (video) monitors and soon become infected by a toxic leak from beneath the cellar that turns them into maniacal cannibals who feast on their unsuspecting neighbors.

dougshear
05-03-2012, 07:58 AM
While repairing a leak in the cellar, a family discovers the floor has been pierced from below by a sharp, ivory-colored object. As they dig deeper they unearth an enormous horn belonging to the Devil.

lizperkins
05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
From Beneath the Cellar
Bizarre and frightening events plague a young couple as they settle into their new home in the woods and prepare to welcome a new baby conceived in the bowels of Hell.
Bizarre events unfold with lightning speed as new home owners, Rob & Elli, fail to connect the dots. Dirt tracks in the house, broken and overturned objects, items disappearing, TV’s always blaring ‘The Flintstones.” Rob dismisses the happenings as Elli’s , ‘hormone mirages.’ Elli excuses them as Robs, ‘Guy Things.’
Inner comflict arises as Elli’s doctor reveals traumatic news about their unborn baby.
Things come to a head when Elli disappears and is subsequently discovered in a giant cocoon suspended in the, ‘Nookie’ tree in the forest, followed by the discovery of a giant ‘nest,’ in the previously unexplored cellar.

theturtle
05-03-2012, 06:13 PM
FROM BENEATH THE CELLAR

Vince is a young film fanatic who reopens a small town movie theater in California. He rents a house that once was the summer home of a famous film director involved in a Hollywood murder. In the cellar he discovers a passage to a lower cellar full of highly flammable silver nitrate films. Vince is obsessed with watching all the films and hopefully solving the earlier unsolved murder, before the evidence goes up in smoke.

lowbarprods
05-04-2012, 10:03 PM
A group of high-schoolers decide to spend the night after prom in the local haunted house armed with video cameras for some amateur ghost hunting--never expecting that they would indeed find something.

Nick Soares
05-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Closing this thread tonight - And we can start voting in 1 day!

rdhay
05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Okay, so here's my quick synop for my logline, "An estranged couple hope to rekindle their relationship on a romantic escape to a remote vineyard, but instead face terror, agony and solitude in the vineyard's deep and dark history."

After working through couple's therapy, a man and his wife are given an "assignment" to go away on a romantic weekend getaway and document the entire trip for later study with their counselor. So, camera in hand, they make their way to a remote vineyard renowned for its scenery and ambiance. But the couple's disputes lead them to discover secrets best left hidden, and soon they must fight for their lives and for each other.

shadowman
05-05-2012, 01:53 PM
FROM BENEATH THE CELLAR

OVERVIEW: A dysfunctional family with a dark secret attends the viewing of their recently deceased strange uncle. During the evening viewing, the power in the ominous funeral home goes out, leaving the small gathering in darkness. A paranormal shriek pierces the air before an unearthly wind slams the access doors to the building shut and locked. Then, a frightening pounding ripples through the building. The group moves to the basement for sanctuary, even though it quickly becomes the last place to find safety.

Has their mysterious uncle come back in spirit to expose the family's secret, or is revenge to be issued to the family from a darker force that lies beneath the earth of the sinister funeral home?

- shadowman

Felix
05-05-2012, 07:31 PM
FROM BENEATH THE CELLAR

Has their mysterious uncle come back in spirit to expose the family's secret, or is revenge to be issued to the family from a darker force that lies beneath the earth of the sinister funeral home?

- shadowman

I don't know. You tell me.

Nick Soares
05-06-2012, 12:36 AM
This thread is open to the people who have already posted in it, but closed to the rest.

Tomorrow I will read through

Nick Soares
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Ok, I have read through all of them, check this out! I think after reading all of them, I can come up with a great Log Line and Synopsis with a hybrid of them all. Give me 24 hours, then you guys can read it and let me know if we all can agree :)

Nick Soares
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Almost done, I have had to consider lots of different hurtles with the locations around here. But It is moving along

Nick Soares
05-15-2012, 08:46 PM
"Four young adults decide to investigate an old 1920's hospital with old tails of spirits that have such rage that just seeing or hearing one can drive a person insane. During their investigation they find that the forces of evil they are capturing on camera are leading them to the bottom level of the hospital. They pursue the sounds and images that can only be heard and seen on camera to a fake floor bottom, they dig and remove the floor to find an old cellar door that will lead to all their answers, as well as their eternal suffering."

TO THE WRITERS: I was thinking all four characters end up getting ripped apart in a terrible way. I want this to be a found footage film meets "The Grudge"

Let me know your thoughts.

roninfilmer
05-15-2012, 10:38 PM
You have the young people doing a investigation which makes the camera usage well warranted.

The characters are young, so you can have a few attractive actresses to sell the sex appeal.

They are young adults so it appeals to the main horror target audience.

The old hospital says horror from the beginning and will easily work on the DVD cover

Now the only thing is what is actually beneath the cellar door?

Nick Soares
05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
You have the young people doing a investigation which makes the camera usage well warranted.

The characters are young, so you can have a few attractive actresses to sell the sex appeal.

They are young adults so it appeals to the main horror target audience.

The old hospital says horror from the beginning and will easily work on the DVD cover

Now the only thing is what is actually beneath the cellar door?

Correct, I dont know :)

Felix
05-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Synopsis works for me. I'd like to have more people involved.

If we're considering twists, is one of the people in the group somehow involved with bringing people down to the cellar to be "sacrificed"? For example: the subway driver in "Midnight Meat Train", something to that effect.

Are they trying to figure out what occurred at the hospital to piss these spirits off or are they simply trying to survive, leaving the mystery to the audience to interpret.

Good job Nick!

--Eric

roninfilmer
05-16-2012, 02:25 AM
The aspect of eternal suffering is cool. An option is not having whats under the cellar door seen until the climax of the film. Where the ultimate answer is going to be revealed, and the camera drops before it can make it in to the cellar door and you see only a glimpse of hell with red color, the shape of a demon, and the agony yells of the characters and the camera shuts off

1ladynerd
05-16-2012, 05:58 AM
I like it. Everybody's doing a great job with thoughts and ideas and questions. And I like the hospital setting.

pkillam
05-16-2012, 08:25 AM
I think of the movie Devil where one of the five is the Devil. Let's not go there, but maybe one of the four will be allowed to escape if they can lead the other 3 down successfully. They would need to be subtle allowing the twist at the end. Scattering clues throughout that would be reveiled in a montage as to who the betrayer is. Alas the Devil doesn't make deals, and the betrayer's sin of deception and lying makes them suffer the worst of the four.

2001 Productions
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Thoughts on character dynamics:

A seasoned paranormal investigator has split away from his previous group in favor of starting his own. His new co-investigators are two inexperienced young women and a skeptical cameraman. The cameraman believes that the lead investigator is a fraud who is only looking for an opportunity to get into the girls' pants. The cameraman has the hots for one of the girls, and has come along on the "investigation" to make sure she isn't taken advantage of.

When odd things begin happening, the cameraman is certain that the lead investigator has pre-arranged all of it to try and convince the others of his legitimacy. He confronts the lead investigator about it, escalating the tension between them. One of the girls is frightened and wants to leave. The lead investigator assures her that most spirits are benign, while the cameraman contends that it's all a crock of shit anyway.

Eventually it is revealed that the lead investigator did not leave his previous group of his own accord, but was kicked out because of his lack of consideration for the safety of his team members. He defends his actions by claiming that his previous collaborators were spineless wimps -- all hat and no cattle. He challenges his new team members to prove their mettle and stick to the investigation, wherever it may lead.

Nick Soares
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Love it, I'm taking all the notes down, and will add them to the original post

lizperkins
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
It's feeling rather pedestrian. What if those creatures stool the teens good minds and exchanged their mad ones...then the teens turn on each other in a bloody binge?

Jfvideos
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
A community project is such an awesome idea. I've read the posts and there is alot of value so far. I felt like participating and adding my two cents. Here is a commercial film structure outline that found footage films have used in the past. Some including Quarantine, Cloverfield, Chronicle, The Last Exorcism, and Project X. Good luck with the project.

Michael hauge's 6 stage-5 turning point structure

Stage 1: Set up. First 10% of the screenplay.

The opening 10% of your screenplay must draw the reader, and the audience, into the initial setting of the story, must reveal the everyday life your hero has been living, and must establish identification with your hero by making her sympathetic, threatened, likable, funny and/or powerful.

TURNING POINT #1: The Opportunity (10%)

Ten percent of the way into your screenplay, your hero must be presented with an opportunity, which will create a new, visible desire, and will start the character on her journey. This is the point where Neo is taken to meet Morpheus and wants to learn about The Matrix, or where Ike gets fired and wants to go meet the Runaway Bride.

Notice that the desire created by the opportunity is not the specific goal that defines your story concept, but rather a desire to move into the next stage.

STAGE 2: The New Situation

For the next 15% of the story, your hero will react to the new situation that resulted from the opportunity. He gets acclimated to the new surroundings, tries to figure out what's going on, or formulates a specific plan for accomplishing his overall goal: Fletcher has to figure out that he's been cursed to tell the truth in Liar, Liar; and Mrs. Doubtfire devises a plan for seeing his children.

TURNING POINT #2: The Change of Plans (25%)

Something must happen to your hero one-fourth of the way through your screenplay that will transform the original desire into a specific, visible goal with a clearly defined end point. This is the scene where your story concept is defined, and your hero's outer motivation is revealed.

STAGE III: Progress

For the next 25% of your story, your hero's plan seems to be working as he takes action to achieve his goal: Ethan Hunt begins closing in on the villain in Mission: Impossible 2; Pat gets involved with the woman of his dreams in There's Something About Mary. This is not to say that this stage is without conflict. But whatever obstacles your hero faces, he is able to avoid or overcome them as he approaches…

TURNING POINT #3: The Point of No Return (50%)

At the exact midpoint of your screenplay, your hero must fully commit to her goal. Up to this point, she had the option of turning back, giving up on her plan, and returning to the life she was living at the beginning of the film. But now your hero must burn her bridges behind her and put both feet in. They are taking a much bigger risk than at any previous time in these films. And as a result of passing this point of no return, they must now face…

STAGE IV: Complications and Higher Stakes

For the next 25% of your story, achieving the visible goal becomes far more difficult, and your hero has much more to lose if he fails. After Mitch McDeere begins collecting evidence against The Firm at that movie's midpoint, he now must hide what he's doing from both the mob and the FBI (complications), and failure will result in either prison or death (higher stakes). This conflict continues to build until, just as it seems that success is within your hero's grasp, he suffers…

TURNING POINT #4: The Major Setback (75%)

Around page 90 of your screenplay, something must happen to your hero that makes it seem to the audience that all is lost: These disastrous events leave your hero with only one option: he must make one, last, all-or-nothing, do-or-die effort as he enters…

TURNING POINT #5: The Climax (90-99%)

Several things must occur at the climax of the film: the hero must face the biggest obstacle of the entire story; she must determine her own fate; and the outer motivation must be resolved once and for all. This is the big moment where our heroes go into the Twister and the Jewish factory workers make their escape in Schindler's List.

STAGE VI: The Aftermath

No movie ends precisely with the resolution of the hero's objective. You have to reveal the new life your hero is living now that he's completed his journey.

theturtle
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Synopsis for BENEATH THE CELLAR:

Four current time young adults investigate the hospital. The found footage is of four earlier people whose investigation ends in their various on-film deaths. Three of the current time friends joke that the fourth looks like one of the found footage four. (He does not.) But the current and found footage fourth begin to look more and more alike, including a new cut on the forehead. It becomes undeniable, they are now mirror doubles by the time the found footage fourth dies. It becomes the same with each of the other three. After the four found footage murders, the current four are led to believe that by opening the door in the basement floor, they will allow their former selves to escape. But instead, when the door is opened, it is … THE END. Literally.

shadowman
05-18-2012, 06:37 PM
I sort of like the direction that LizPerkins was going in her post here. I think the MacGuffin of the story is what exactly is beneath the cellar. The clever tactic would be for the team to overcomplicate what they feel is down there, when in fact, what is there is nothing but a red herring for the audience. The team has scared themselves into such a frenzy from jittery overreaction and inaccurate hypothesizing that they begin killing each other one by one. So as they attempt to discover and save themselves from what they theorize is beneath the cellar based on lore or misinterpreted metascience, they are slowly terminating each other, creating an inadvertant snuff film. The terror comes from the team themselves and false scares. It actually becomes a bit satirical in a way, keeping its horror roots.

- shadowman

dougshear
05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I know what's beneath the cellar, but I'm not telling.

Nick Soares
05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Ok, getting ready to start thinking about casting:

pastorlloyd
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Just a thought, but you could use Waverly Hills, in Louisville KY as a setting. The place was a TB sanitorium and saw hundreds of people die. However, here is the real cool part of the history... most of them didn't die while it was the sanitorium. More deaths and suicides within the building happened after the sanitorium closed down and reopened as a nursing home. You could really spin this as the four young adults trying to fund out what caused all of this.

bigiam
06-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Future Copyright is an easy to use, clever web-based system. And...
it’s FREE. Future Copyright is used by musicians, designers, actors,
film makers, inventors, writers, journalists, teachers, cartoonists,
biographers, programmers, architects etc - to copyright and protect
their creative works.