PDA

View Full Version : Stabbing scene AND a burning - woohoo!

FourthCoven
08-19-2014, 08:59 AM
hi there,

filming in late September and we have a scene with a struggle and a deliberate stabbing, in or around the heart. The man will be wearing a shirt and can even wear an outer garment (its a Western) to make things easier with blood. The weapon will be a substantial kitchen knife. The scene will be shot at night, indoors. Later, we will see a body part in the fire, smouldering.

Questions: the actress (stabber) wants a fight coordinator to choreograph the struggle. Anyone work with one in the past, have any tips (near Austin, TX)?

Any issues with insurance?

Any thoughts on making this look nice and real?

Anonymous Filmmaker
08-20-2014, 08:37 AM
hi there,

filming in late September and we have a scene with a struggle and a deliberate stabbing, in or around the heart. The man will be wearing a shirt and can even wear an outer garment (its a Western) to make things easier with blood. The weapon will be a substantial kitchen knife. The scene will be shot at night, indoors. Later, we will see a body part in the fire, smouldering.

Questions: the actress (stabber) wants a fight coordinator to choreograph the struggle. Anyone work with one in the past, have any tips (near Austin, TX)?

Any issues with insurance?

Any thoughts on making this look nice and real?

I'm going to go ahead and just answer the last question and leave the first two to someone else.

Get two versions of the knife, one bladed and one just the handle. This will be useful for the actual stabbing. Do you have anyone doing visual effects? If I was making it I would combine some practical with some visual effects. Any blood that sprays and squirts out, I would add in post. Any that's there for a while smear on the shirt.

For the burning:

How close do you need to get? Could you just use a scarecrow like thing?

mara
08-20-2014, 08:40 AM
We had a stabbing in my first short - we used a fake knife with a retractable handle and some nice quick cuts in the editing to do it cheaply.

Good luck!

khathawayart
08-26-2014, 01:38 PM
If you're using a real knife for the fight, you may want to buy a second one and dull the edges and point with a sanding machine or something. Sounds like the actress is concerned about safety--as should you. Use the sharp knife for close shots, but use the dull one for the fight stuff so no one gets hurt.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com