PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up shot for someone going through a TV

Austin Hamilton
07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
As the title says, I will be jumping through a TV in the video, and coming out of a monitor. Like teleporting from one to the other if you will. I want to jump head first, or climb in. How would I make it look as realistic as possible? How would I capture it on my DSLR/What shots do I really need? Any help is appreciated :)

Nick Soares
07-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Couple questions: Will the shot be on sticks or dolly, or jig? If its on sticks then it will be much easier with a greenscreen. Someone here will be able to help you out I am sure.

Austin Hamilton
07-15-2014, 11:04 AM
The first shot of me going through the TV will be on a tripod (So a still shot). It will be a medium side shot of me. The second shot will also of a guy sitting on his computer (medium side shot), sitting in a chair. I then want it to show me flying out of the computer screen in the same shot, and the other character falls back in his chair. So both will be steady tripod shots.

Austin Hamilton
07-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Bump! Help :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Look at Andrew Kramer's tutorial on portals. There are some good hints making things go through other things. It will be greenscreen with some masking/basic animation.

Austin Hamilton
07-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Look at Andrew Kramer's tutorial on portals. There are some good hints making things go through other things. It will be greenscreen with some masking/basic animation.
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-18-2014, 03:55 AM
No problem, glad I could help!

FedeleE
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
This may be too late, but If it's a static shot, you could shoot two identical shots. One without the TV in place where the actor would walk all the way through the space where the TV was. The other, would be just a shot of nothing happening, but with the TV in place. You would then split the shots with a mask with some edge feathering and that would give you the basis of what you want to do. I don't know if that helps because it's fairly simple, but I'm jet hoping to provide a different perspective.

Good luck!