PDA

View Full Version : Voices and cuts

3RightsFilms
07-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Hello all. It might be a very simple answer but I've always wondered how voices and clips are put together when different angles are used. Films have the same voice clip used in the whole scene but different angles are used. Does the actor need to say the line in the exact same way everytime they film the scene from different angles to sync the voice clip? Thanks.

ironpony
07-13-2014, 01:15 PM
This all depends. I mean for example, I had an actor go on and improve some lines differently a scene. But he said it better than I wrote it in the script I thought, so I didn't mind. He also added some things I hadn't thought of which added layers to the speech. So I liked it, and went with it even though, he didn't say it that way in the other angles. I guess if you want the line to be the same so you can choose whatever angle you want, then have the actor say it the same. If you don't mine him/her changing it up to give more options, but forcing you to use a certain angle, then you can go with that too.

So it's really a matter of preference. But it has nothing to do with syncing, cause if someone says a line differently, than just use the different take of that line, and put two lines together from different takes. It just should still sync as long as you use the same audio and video clips that the particular line was said in.

3RightsFilms
07-14-2014, 08:21 AM
This all depends. I mean for example, I had an actor go on and improve some lines differently a scene. But he said it better than I wrote it in the script I thought, so I didn't mind. He also added some things I hadn't thought of which added layers to the speech. So I liked it, and went with it even though, he didn't say it that way in the other angles. I guess if you want the line to be the same so you can choose whatever angle you want, then have the actor say it the same. If you don't mine him/her changing it up to give more options, but forcing you to use a certain angle, then you can go with that too.

So it's really a matter of preference. But it has nothing to do with syncing, cause if someone says a line differently, than just use the different take of that line, and put two lines together from different takes. It just should still sync as long as you use the same audio and video clips that the particular line was said in. What if the tone and pitch of the voice sounds different from different angles? If you use different clips wouldn't it sound different? Or can the adjustment of the volume of the clip fix that?

ironpony
07-14-2014, 09:07 PM
It can sound different. Let's say you have a close up shot, and you do five takes. Well you can use those takes for other shots, as long as the actors head is a close distance. For example, I took some dialogue from a front close up, and put it overtop of an over the shoulder shot, where you see the back of that actors head. Since you do not see his mouth move, I could pretty much put whatever words I wanted to overtop.

If you shoot a further away master shot though, the voices may sound further away. So you can swap audio to different video takes as long as the actor's head is a similar distance away, but in some cases the tone will sound different, like in a really echoey room, where the mic is boomed towards a different direction. That's what I've heard but I have not been in that situation yet. Hope that helps.

khathawayart
08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Films have the same voice clip used in the whole scene but different angles are used. >>

==================

I've never seen this--as far as I know, anyway.

The audio is taken [generally] from the camera angle that's used on the screen. The microphones should be placed roughly in the same spots from angle to angle to get consistency [when possible]. Sometimes the editor will sync an audio clip from take 4 [for example] with the video from take 5, and maybe it'll work--and maybe it won't. The shorter the better. Longer audio clips just won't sync right as each performance is slightly different.

But generally as the cuts change from one angle to another--so does the matching audio. The audio isn't from a single take. Except in music videos where they lip sync to the music track.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com