PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation Effect

Bryce Welsh
06-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Hey, guys. I'm trying to think up an original sort of style of teleporting for my film. I want something new that can be identified with my film, but also something doable on AE, Premier Pro, or Motion 5. Thoughts?

Aaron Jones
06-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Yes,
Film the scene with out the person there for a clean slate.
then film the person in the same scene with the camera in the same position preferably with a green screen
Now you can introduce the person or object separately without any blemish or issue to the scene itself and it will sell the visual deporting.
You can use after effects to make the person or object disappear then reappear without the scene being altered at all.

I would make two or three clean slates to have 2 to 3 different angle to cut to (one wide shot angle, one close up angle, and maybe a off center mid range angle, be creative to sell your scene) to show this scene depending on how you want to audience to feel or experience what you are relaying to them about what is going on.

I hope this helps...

Havey
06-11-2014, 04:52 PM
This is something really old that I did. I have pretty well perfected this now.

I only used Adobe After Effects. Tell me if this is basically what you're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIdWI-PcupI

filmmaker6563
06-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Bryce Welsh
06-11-2014, 09:20 PM
I think he's asking for an original form of teleportation. Star Trek had a unique style of teleportation not shown in film before (blue light, disappearance as the blue light fades away), and he wants his own specific style that he wants to be able to call his own, or distinguish it from the rest of the styles of teleportation within cinema. For example, the character breaks away like glass, implodes into him or herself, twists around in circles, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, exactly this. Something unique, like Nightcrawler's smoke or the Vortex Manipulator's lighting, and yet something also doable.

This is something really old that I did. I have pretty well perfected this now.

I only used Adobe After Effects. Tell me if this is basically what you're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIdWI-PcupI

Kind of like that, yeah. Just something quick and simple but memorable. :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-12-2014, 03:28 AM
Do what Aaron Jones initially said, and try to add some light during the transition. A lens flare or even just pure burst of light (although that wouldn't look as good) could do the trick.

Havey
06-12-2014, 12:34 PM
If you want to do something creative, everything can be done in AE. Pretty easily too, once you get use to it.

You have to first learn how to do it though, then you can begin to add lighting effects and some displacement to give it a creative effect!

Alex
06-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Hey, guys. I'm trying to think up an original sort of style of teleporting for my film. I want something new that can be identified with my film, but also something doable on AE, Premier Pro, or Motion 5. Thoughts?

Here's a few examples I did, at the 3s, 7s and the better one is at 14s with the re-entry at 19s mark. It still requires the same base concept Aaron mentioned about having a clean base plate etc. All I did was add the particle effects on top of the masking of layers. Play with the initial removal from the scene and once that is set add your effects / lighting / displacement etc to your hearts content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZw15MnIfPY

Bryce Welsh
06-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Here's a few examples I did, at the 3s, 7s and the better one is at 14s with the re-entry at 19s mark. It still requires the same base concept Aaron mentioned about having a clean base plate etc. All I did was add the particle effects on top of the masking of layers. Play with the initial removal from the scene and once that is set add your effects / lighting / displacement etc to your hearts content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZw15MnIfPY

That's really cool. :)

khathawayart
08-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Nice Job, Alex! Looks real smooth.

Not sure, Bryce, if you're actually looking for someone to accomplish the FX or just want ideas that are original to teleportation FX...that you would do yourself.

If you're not already familiar with After Effects, I suggest you at least play around with it with some youtube or Lynda tutorials in front of you.

By playing with the various filters and such, you can get a feel for what may strike your fancy. I'm partial to particle systems, 'cause they look so damn cool, but I'm not sure if that would be original enough for you. To be original, though, you'd probably have to use a number of techniques in combination.

The woman in the chair video above I though was kinda original since she seems to be sucked away from within--not sure if I've ever seen that before. Film Riot has a video out there about teleportation FX, but I'm not sure it's very original...kinda based on the Nightcrawler FX.

I'd be curious to see the FX you settle on, though.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

FedeleE
08-28-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm really attracted to the visual style of a teleportation that looks similar to a scale animation. As in, where you would take, say, a text layer, and move the scale from 0% to 100% in order for it to appear. So, essentially, you would do a very quick, snappy animation where the character would very quickly appear out from a small point.

If that makes any sense, I hope it helps! Good luck!