PDA

View Full Version : Completed Horror Films Wanted

Nick Soares
01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Nov 2013 **UPDATE** New Slots Open
Aug 2013 **UPDATE** All slots are taken

My company is interested in purchasing any completed horror film.

If you have one and it is at least 75 minutes and are interested in selling it, contact me here.

Nick Soares

www.digiworldwide.com

Dinozo
02-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Nick, just so I understand correctly, does your company have access to the kind of funds that could easily purchase a feature 35mm with known actors? I know most lower end, HD slasher movies and horror flicks are offered anywhere between $100,000 to $300,000. Dark Games budget well exceeds $500,000.

It would only be of interest to your company if there are a number of investors involved in purchasing. As I said in an earlier post, there has been much interest in the project since Booboo Stewart got a three picture deal to appear in Twilight Eclipse, Breaking Dawn Parts 1 and 2. It's important that your investors understand the possibilities of marketing the film online and self-promoting it to the Twilight fanbase.

Eric D.

M5Boss
02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Nick, just so I understand correctly, does your company have access to the kind of funds that could easily purchase a feature 35mm with known actors? I know most lower end, HD slasher movies and horror flicks are offered anywhere between $100,000 to $300,000. Dark Games budget well exceeds $500,000.

It would only be of interest to your company if there are a number of investors involved in purchasing. As I said in an earlier post, there has been much interest in the project since Booboo Stewart got a three picture deal to appear in Twilight Eclipse, Breaking Dawn Parts 1 and 2. It's important that your investors understand the possibilities of marketing the film online and self-promoting it to the Twilight fanbase.

Eric D.

Eric, Although i appreciate what your are doing here for you project, it doesn't sit well with investors when you try and qualify them even before they have screened your product..

Dinozo
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
It's well known to anyone who's been on the other end of trying to sell an indie project (as I have) that most horror films (like Dark Games) are offered anywhere between $100,000 to $300,000. As most of these projects are shot in HD or, in some cases, consumer grade cameras. This is just the way it is. This project is shot in 35mm and the costs well exceed that of an HD indie.

I'm letting you know that the project's budget exceeds $500,000 because I wouldn't presume to waste your time, or any other investor's time, on a project that exceeds your spending budget. I feel that honesty is the best policy when it comes to these situations and it doesn't help you, Nick, James or anyone else who may be considering buying the rights to the film if the funds are not there.

I've met so many people online that parade as producers, production companies, indie directors and 99% of them don't have the first dime to spend. This is the reality. It's so much easier to know what you're dealing with up front before you start sending screeners out to everyone who claims to be a financier. It's only fair to ask how much financing is in place before I even begin to involve Mr. Hage in sending out screeners.

No disrespect to you or Nick because I wouldn't be on these forums if I didnt get the feeling you guys were dead serious about purchasing finished films. It's just easier to know up front what kind of money we're talking about because most indie directors spend only a fraction of what Mr. Hage has spent on this 35mm project. And most don't shoot on film. I really have nothing to do with ownership of the film, but I'm only trying to help Mr. Hage and make contact with interested parties.

M5Boss
02-17-2012, 11:02 AM
got-it, no problem - if $10.00 screeners (dvd/postage/pitch + 15 mins of your time) are not in the budget, upload the feature on vimeo, and give private access to potential investors...

All im saying is, don't be so quick to qualify, you never want any words to come across wrong - in any way to any potential investors (and maybe an investor for future films too)..

Dinozo
02-17-2012, 11:13 AM
got-it, no problem - if $10.00 screeners (dvd/postage/pitch + 15 mins of your time) are not in the budget, upload the feature on vimeo, and give private access to potential investors...

All im saying is, don't be so quick to qualify, you never want any words to come across wrong - in any way to any potential investors (and maybe an investor for future films too)..

I've mentioned uploading on vimeo idea, but he's been reluctant to do so, for whatever reason. I have no idea. He's also fought me on the idea of self distributing online, even though there are thousands of websites that mention the film and I've personally read hundreds of posts from people wanting to know where they can purchase the film.

May I be so bold as to ask how much financing is in place? Like I said, I don't own the property nor do I make any decisions. But I do have to get him somewhat interested before he lifts the first finger. I've just been a nervous wreck about it because I know how much this film will sell if promoted properly. But he doesn't seem to be doing much with it.

I'm only being forward with you guys because I know how stubborn he's been with listening to anyone's suggestions. I'm fairly certain he won't return my call unless I know what kind of money is at stake. This may be inappropriate, but I feel like I need to be this forward to get him to do anything about it.

Dinozo
02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Apparently, if you go to his website, you may request a screener. Dark Games featured film introducing Boo Boo Stewart (http://www.darkgamesmovie.com).

Eric D.

Nick Soares
02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
It's well known to anyone who's been on the other end of trying to sell an indie project (as I have) that most horror films (like Dark Games) are offered anywhere between $100,000 to $300,000. As most of these projects are shot in HD or, in some cases, consumer grade cameras. This is just the way it is. This project is shot in 35mm and the costs well exceed that of an HD indie.

I'm letting you know that the project's budget exceeds $500,000 because I wouldn't presume to waste your time, or any other investor's time, on a project that exceeds your spending budget. I feel that honesty is the best policy when it comes to these situations and it doesn't help you, Nick, James or anyone else who may be considering buying the rights to the film if the funds are not there.

I've met so many people online that parade as producers, production companies, indie directors and 99% of them don't have the first dime to spend. This is the reality. It's so much easier to know what you're dealing with up front before you start sending screeners out to everyone who claims to be a financier. It's only fair to ask how much financing is in place before I even begin to involve Mr. Hage in sending out screeners.

No disrespect to you or Nick because I wouldn't be on these forums if I didnt get the feeling you guys were dead serious about purchasing finished films. It's just easier to know up front what kind of money we're talking about because most indie directors spend only a fraction of what Mr. Hage has spent on this 35mm project. And most don't shoot on film. I really have nothing to do with ownership of the film, but I'm only trying to help Mr. Hage and make contact with interested parties.

Not sure how this thread passed me up, Dinozo. I 100% understand what your saying about other sites/forums this is 100% the reason why I created this one. I was tired of many people that talk big because they have 3,000 posts on a forum, I think its a disease or something. No this website is for serious people with serious films going on, and a serious feedback system that helps people keep track of sales, jobs, etc.....

As far as wondering about the amount of financing we have for films, here is the way we prefer it. We somehow watch the screener, (with watermark for protection) as I know how it is letting others see a copy, so we watch and we offer X amount of dollars for certain territories or for all. I am serious about this and again this is why I created a fresh site specifically for all indie filmmakers/distributors

EuropeanDistributor
02-18-2012, 01:53 AM

I'm sorry, but your information is just flat out wrong.

Most lower end Slasher/Horror movies do not get offered anywhere near $100k, let alone $300k.

I don't know if you meant worldwide or just domestic. But even if you have a "low end" horror flick with no stars you will not see $100k, not even from worldwide sales.

Indie horror used to be hot 5-6 years ago, now, not so much.

Believe me, I have first hand knowledge.

I work in film distribution in Europe. Just recently we bought an indie horror with no names, but a nice and catchy premise.
Never again!

We were only able to sell it to a few mom & pop cult movie stores and an online retailer and a VOD service. We didn't make profit with the film.

Every retailer and wholesaler we tried to sell it to kept telling us the same thing, indie horror simply doesn't sell.
I learned my lesson, I won't touch indie horror again, not with a ten foot pole. Even indie horror with some names is highly risky.

Pretty much the only horror that sells well are studio releases. That is true at least in Scandinavia.

Don't get me wrong, indie horror still sells in many places, but the prices are nothing like they used to be.

On to my second point.

Distributors and buyers don't care how much was spent on producing a movie.
They only care about who's in it, what genre is it, who's directed, produced, did it win any awards etc.
It doesn't matter whether a movie cost a million dollars or ten dollars, if there are certain elements in the movie a distributor needs, they will buy it.

I can respect the director of Dark Games for shooting it on 35mm, but I sure can't understand the reasoning behind it, since the fact that it was shot on film doesn't mean anything to a distributor.

Most movies these days are shot digital, even studio pictures.
Sure, 35mm in the end looks better than HD if done right, but again, for a distributor it doesn't mean anything.
It doesn't bring any real value to the end product. A consumer doesn't care or know about such things.

Please don't consider my posting an attack on you, or the director of the movie. like you said, honesty is the best policy, and these are just facts I know and have learned in the business.

Also, please be aware that you asking Nick about their funds can be perceived as impolite, and stuff like that can kill a business deal.

In this instance Nick is the one interested in buying a product, he should be asking you the questions first.

I am a little confused with your wording. You talked about how the buyer should have investors behind them?
At this stage in the game, there are no investors, there are only sales agents, distributors and buyers.
An investor is someone who invests a money into a movie that he or she thinks can make a profit.

If a distributor thinks that your movie is worth $700k they will fork over the money and they don't need any investors for that.

Now on to my final point.

What I have been able to gather from what I've read about the movie, this is what I think:

First of all, it is pure madness producing a movie and paying it out of your own pocket, especially if it costs as much as over half a million.

You simply don't finance your own movies, unless they are really cheap, like micro budget.
With a budget of $500k+ you should hire at least 2-3 high level B-names, who are still in high demand in the market.
These names should be able to secure you pre-sales, if you can't get pre-sales you can't expect the movie to sell after it's finished either.

With that kind of a budget the movie should also be filmed in a state that offers tax incentives.
The rest of the budget will be covered by gap financing.

Here's what the movie has going for it:
It looks nice, the cinematography looks good, I would say better than most movies of this budget range and genre.
It has one name, Danny Trejo, who still has some pull in the market.
With these factors alone you should have no trouble getting a sales agent to start selling it to buyers worldwide.

I can guarantee you that you won't get $700k though.

You should stop thinking that you have a million dollar movie in your hands, because you simply don't.

The fact that you have an actor who was in the Twilight movies doesn't mean much in the market.
There are plenty of actors out there who have been in major roles in major motion pictures who still don't have any name power at all.

Treat the movie for what it is, an indie production.

Try to get the movie to play at a bunch of film festivals, if it's good enough it will create some buzz.
In the meanwhile get a sales agent to work on domestic and international distribution.
It should sell pretty good on VOD and POV domestic.
There are plenty of distributors who would love to have it.

Just be aware that you will not get the money you think you will.

The director clearly has talent, he should consider this as his calling card so to say, a very expensive one.

The next movie he or you together will do, make sure to think about distribution before production. Meaning that you should get actors who have selling power in the market, and don't shoot it in 35mm, it will bring no value to the product and it will only increase the budget.

Nick Soares
02-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Dinozo

Question, do the owners of the film even know you are here looking for distribution?

Nick

xzilez
02-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Russell Davis
Pen name: Raziel David
Xzilez26[at]gmail.com
862-888-2268

To whom it may concern,

My name is Russell Davis. I write under the Pen name Raziel David. I have been writing for the past ten years. I have four full length scripts, two shorts, song lyrics, and a book. I have also done freelance journalism for a tabloid and magazine company. I also maintain my own review blog called embracethefilm.blogspot.com. It’s been a little over a year and it already has reached over 20,000 views.

I’m writing this query letter to see if you are interested in helping me sell my horror script called Sinners. It is a low budget film about a serial killer who kills people because of their sins. It can be made for as low as 100,000 dollars. The synopsis is below.

Genre: Horror/Comedy/Slasher

Repent or be damned.

It’s Saint Patrick’s Day so you know what that means. It’s the day where college students get drunk to the point of forgetting their own names. A group of friends decide to skip the bar hopping and have a small party of their own in the local woods. Ella doesn’t think it’s a good idea but her boyfriend, Sean, thinks otherwise.

Sean and his friends arrive at their destination and the drink fest begins. Little do they know a serial killer is not too far away from them having a party of his own. He has been torturing one of their friends for most of the day and looks to turn his attention to them. He believes their partying ways are full of sin and he wants them all to repent and face their punishments. He enjoys the chase and loves to play mind games. This will be one party they will never forget.

The script features strong violence, nudity, sex, disturbing images, and dark comedy. If interested please contact me.

Thank you
Russell Davis

Doug
02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi Nick,
The distributor for my feature FROM A PLACE OF DARKNESS (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0867295/) is no longer. So, I'm looking for a place for it to land.

Let me know if you're interested.

Doug

Nick Soares
02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Nick,
The distributor for my feature FROM A PLACE OF DARKNESS (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0867295/) is no longer. So, I'm looking for a place for it to land.

Let me know if you're interested.

Doug

Almost finished with my distribution site, ill PM you now, and update you when its done, (few days)

SONJANASH
02-27-2013, 04:15 AM
Hi there, are you still interested in completed horror genre films? If yes - in what capacity? International sales and distribution?

Havey
02-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Nick, would have been nice if we would have pulled the trigger on my feature, wouldn't it :p.

Hate life right now.

Nick Soares
02-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Nick, would have been nice if we would have pulled the trigger on my feature, wouldn't it :p.

Hate life right now.

Yea....... That was a good opportunity you passed up, but dude thats life you are a better producer now because of that.

For those that do not know, I offered Havey the $4,000 he was looking for to shoot his film in return for 50% profits. I believe his partner declined.......

Charles
02-27-2013, 09:40 AM
this is strange, Havey I have read your posts you are a smart guy. What are you doing working with someone like that? Non the less it is a life expereince

Director
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
From my own experience I have found that it is easier to find investors to put up $400,000 to shoot a film, than it is to find a good distribution deal. That said, I have to fully agree EuropeanDistributor's post. Asking, or holding out for a sweetheart deal will keep your movie on the shelf for potentially years collecting dust.

It is better to make films because you love doing it and you have a passion for perfecting your craft, and then hope that you can make some money off of it. If you truly have talent, or at the very least enough sense to surround yourself with talented people, the money will probably follow.

Regarding Dinzo's post: It sounds like he doesn't have any contractual rights to shop the film. Or maybe I just read it wrong.

Havey
02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
this is strange, Havey I have read your posts you are a smart guy. What are you doing working with someone like that? Non the less it is a life expereince

At the time it basically went like this.

I came up with the script, wrote it, got a friend of mine and few other talented actors to act in it, then went to another good friend of mine who had a very nice set of skills an equipment. Equipment that I did not have at the time.

So basically I thought this.

I'll Write and Produce it and let him film it. He had the camera and the equipment.

Unfortunately he was burnt out on it, and when I told him Nicks offer, he declined. But by then we all had papers that stated we all had rights to the film, not just myself, so unfortunately I really had no way of changing his mind...

Future opportunities will came between Nick and myself in the future I'm sure. I love his idea and Distribution company, they are super fair. So that will be the only person I go through when I do complete my first feature.

SONJANASH
02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Nick, sorry I am new to this site (as you just discovered) so am unsure of some things so forgive me if I sound a little dumb here.
Are you a sales agent? Do you operate like a sales agent? Like taking a percentage for territories etc.,? Or do you just but the film full stop and then it's yours? Sorry for asking so many questions but I haven't read all the blogs on here yet so don't fully appreciate how you operate. Thanks for your time - Sonja

Nick Soares
02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi Nick, sorry I am new to this site (as you just discovered) so am unsure of some things so forgive me if I sound a little dumb here.
Are you a sales agent? Do you operate like a sales agent? Like taking a percentage for territories etc.,? Or do you just but the film full stop and then it's yours? Sorry for asking so many questions but I haven't read all the blogs on here yet so don't fully appreciate how you operate. Thanks for your time - Sonja

Hi SONJANASH, nothing is a dumb question here. This was an old post, and before I started launched DiGi Distribution (http://www.digidistribution.com). This was posted more then a year ago, and at the time we wanted to purchased full rights and offer a lump sum for completed films. I now operate a VOD Distribution company were there is no "middle men" from us to you, but for DVD world wide we do offer "representation" - I will close this topic so it doesn't get bumped, but feel free to start a topic on anything you need.

Nick Soares