PDA

View Full Version : HD EDIT WOES

martynuk
04-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Hello everyone, Ive been editing standard DV for years with no problem. I've now upgraded everything to HD and did our first shoot recently.
My edit software is Studio 14 HD Ultimate and I've been happy with it up till now.
The way I have always done a DV edit is to make an AVI file when the timeline got too complex.
I never edited more than scene by scene, so I usually end up editing together AVI files.
No matter how many times I made new AVI from already copied AVI they never lost quality.
Jumping to HD and editing in AVCHD I saved edit after edit of the film buildup, the early cuts re-processed many times.
Horror of horrors the exported disc in AVCHD is shockingly bad, no where near the quality of standard DV.
Is this a normal drawback with using AVCHD? has anyone else had this problem?
Surely no body edits an entire film on one timeline?
I'm tempted to put all the original HD straight down to standard DV and start the edit over again, or am I missing something?
How does everyone else edit this stuff? Please help.

Aaron Jones
04-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Well first, lets take a look at how you are capturing footage. What camera are you using? What is the Mbps rate you are using?

Yes AVCHD does compress footage down to a manageable size to fit on SD cards. There are cam out there that has a high Mbps rating though, not sure which cam you are using. You do loose some quality in the process of the compression.

I have a Sony HDR AX2000 and the best Mbps is 24. I'm getting the Sony NEX EA50 and the best Mbps is 28. But, there are some alternatives to this. I just purchased a Ninja 2 Video Recorder (http://www.atomos.com/ninja/).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQcOtMggg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUFQVU0WXI

Via HDMI port I can grab footage right from the sensor in 4.2.2 color, provided that your cam has this capability. This process will allow you to get the best quality that your camera can put out before it gets compressed down by AVCHD.

So the first thing is first, what cam are you using and at what recording Mbps rate are you capturing your footage at?

UniqueAmI
04-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Follow the instructions in the videos above. I had the same problem, only with Final Cut Pro. It turned out I was importing wrong codecs and crap like that. The things we never thought about when editing SD.

If you have an older computer, just know everything is going to slow down a bit. But, as long as your editing software can handle the transition, you'll be fine.

martynuk
04-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks Aaron,
That Ninja footage is amazing, the cameras we shot with are all Panasonic camcorders but differing models, they have all been used together before and given good results (I'm told).
They all shoot 50 fps [at] 1080P. As for bitrate to SD card, I don't know what they can manage. I copied the results from all the SD cards straight to laptop and then to a fast desktop here at home. I looked at it from those files on media player (least I think it was m.p.) and it looked very good.
Thanks UAI,
You are right, I never gave it a thought about codecs etc. and now feel badly burned!
So when you edit now, are you using HD? Do you save a complex timeline and carry on editing with that or what? If you do, what file settings do you use to re-edit without loosing picture quality?
I'm going to go through all the settings I'm using to try and figure it out. Although it looks like the best temporary fix is going to be to drop everything to DV for this film.
One last question if you're still reading, what were you editing with before FCP?

Aaron Jones
04-18-2014, 08:20 AM
It could be nice to know the model # of the Panasonic that you are using so we can start from the beginning to make sure we know what is actually going on.

I use the Adobe Creative Cloud where I can use all of the Adobe apps to edit. After effects does not compress the project at all because it is a given that you will finish it in a finishing app like premiere pro or FCP to cut down on the repeated compression. There the time line is edited. You can save the project until the whole thing is finished then render.

martynuk
04-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks Aaron, They were not my camera's so I couldn't say. All this is a revelation to me as I thought that having high def footage in a high def editor would produce a high def result, pretty reasonable assumption wouldn't you say?
If not for people like yourself I would be spending hours and hours going round in circles trying to do something which can't be done, at least not in the way I normally do things.
Let me get this straight, the way you edit is to do everything in Adobe after effects, with no quality loss, then go to disk or whatever using PP or FCP?
I'm guessing my way of editing by making a movie file as a crash safeguard and to simplify a timeline is not possible in high def editing?

Aaron Jones
04-18-2014, 09:32 AM
There are plenty of ways that a lot of editors go about this process. I have learned with Adobe Suite. I do not know other editing software besides the windows Movie maker, lol!. As I connect with different editors via web, Linkedin Groups, and so on... I get a understanding on different ways and processes.

My process is to take my fresh shot footage and download to my machine. Then If I already know what I'm going to do with the footage I bring it up in After Effects. I use AF for coloring, grading, different effects, text, and so on. Once I finish with all of my major editing I render the footage then bring it up in Premiere Pro to set my timeline and flow along with finishing touches to coloring and so on. I will have a project saved until I finish it in Premiere. Once done I render it out according to the quality I need. If it is going on youtube then quality is not the biggest priority. if it is going on Vimeo then I pay a little more attention to the quality. If it is a short or something going to the customer I try and make sure there is little compression at all. Once rendered we can always go back and transcode down to a lower file size which adds compression.

Sometimes I use Adobe Prelude which is a great app that allows you to scrub through, organize, and transcode all your footage before starting the editing process. This is to bring the file size down before bringing it into your AF or PP making it less intense on the resources of your machine. With the Adobe Creative Cloud they give you all of there software apps to do what you need.

I hope this may help and answers your question in which you posed to what my process is.

martynuk
04-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks again Aaron,
I can see how you deal with editing now, I'm over the shock of failure from my first stab with high def. It's a much bigger change than I thought it would be, thanks for taking the trouble to explain, obviously it's a lot to take in in one go and it looks like I'll have to shell out some to have worthwhile results.
Not something to rush into, but thanks again Aaron, much appreciated.