PDA

View Full Version : Avid follows Adobe to the cloud!

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-05-2014, 11:23 AM
At the ongoing NAB 2014, Avid recently announced that it was moving to the cloud (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/avid-unveils-groundbreaking-solutions-technology-184023041.html). They are calling it Avid Everywhere. Another link: http://apps.avid.com/avid-everywhere/mission/#overview.

I am not sure what to think about this, to me it really looks like they are just stealing a bunch of ideas off of Creative Cloud. What do you guys think?

Nick Soares
04-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Wow, interesting. I am following the links now

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-05-2014, 11:41 AM
The forum's email notification system doesn't seem to be working. The last few times people responded to a thread I am subscribed to I didn't get an email.

Nick Soares
04-05-2014, 11:43 AM
The forum's email notification system doesn't seem to be working. The last few times people responded to a thread I am subscribed to I didn't get an email.

Hmmmm, have you confirmed they are not in your spam box?

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Hmmmm, have you confirmed they are not in your spam box?
Yup, just checked again.

filmmaker6563
04-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I don't think that a bunch of ideas are being stolen from CC. You can't really "steal" ideas, and even if they are, then that's good! They're taking from other editing programs aimed at a similar market to put out the best quality product they can. That means that Adobe needs to find a way to be better than it's competitors, so the people over at Adobe will start adding more features, and they'll both copy off of each other and add more features to try to be the better editing system. Introduction of new features will now be even easier because of it being on the Cloud. It's not what I'll be switching to anytime soon, but it's worth checking out and keeping your eye on.

Anonymous Filmmaker
04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't think that a bunch of ideas are being stolen from CC. You can't really "steal" ideas, and even if they are, then that's good!

I disagree. I think that ideas can be stolen, and it looks like Avid is even taking the same structure as Adobe copying products and packages Adobe already makes.

They're taking from other editing programs aimed at a similar market to put out the best quality product they can. That means that Adobe needs to find a way to be better than it's competitors, so the people over at Adobe will start adding more features, and they'll both copy off of each other and add more features to try to be the better editing system.

That's true, I guess this is good for people using either one. I think it will take a little while for them to form equal competition, though. Some people who saw the NAB presentation about this said that it sounded like Avid was having a hard time describing their own product and are unsure about a lot of it. It will probably take time for Avid to figure out how to get a working, supported, and fully featured cloud system.

filmmaker6563
04-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I disagree. I think that ideas can be stolen, and it looks like Avid is even taking the same structure as Adobe copying products and packages Adobe already makes.

Ok, so Avid is releasing products that somewhat resemble that of Adobe's products. Keep in mind that they are both directed at the same market, and there are still features that make the two distinguishable, offering new features that were lacking in Adobe's suite, but also lacking some of the features in Adobe's suite. Perhaps they saw that CC made Adobe more accessible or made workflows easier, so they decided to follow their lead and put out another product which may or may not be flawed, but they'll probably develop and make chances to, especially considering how easy it is to now make changes because everything is in the cloud. Companies throughout history have "stolen" ideas and incorporated those "stolen" features into their work. One could even try to make the point that Adobe stole from it's predecessors and competitors... which is silly, just as I think people trying to show how indistinguishable these two products now are because of the most likely poorly executed campaign that fails to show the power of Avid's new editor and their quick follow-up that looks like copying (but is really Avid trying to move forward and not become technologically insignificant and fade into obscurity) is silly.

That's true, I guess this is good for people using either one. I think it will take a little while for them to form equal competition, though. Some people who saw the NAB presentation about this said that it sounded like Avid was having a hard time describing their own product and are unsure about a lot of it. It will probably take time for Avid to figure out how to get a working, supported, and fully featured cloud system.

I don't think we can necessarily say that yet, they might have just quickly put together a shoddy presentation to get at least something at NAB in time. I don't think we can know of the stability and quality of a product until we've actually heard critiques of the product or have used it ourselves, but even that's difficult because you might find yourself reading or listening to the words of an incredibly passionate Avid user or an Adobe evangelist. Even if they don't have a stable and working system, I'm almost entirely sure that it won't take as much time as it has taken for editors to work fluidly considering that you won't have to have complicated installment processes, and changes can be made faster by the Avid team, but not everything can be judged by a presentation. Shoddy presentations have made good products look weak and good presentations have made shoddy products look strong.

-----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ-FWG0GRzw

Hehehe.

Aaron Jones
04-05-2014, 08:44 PM
I just think that Adobe created a market and the competitors are following as they see it is the way to go and consumers like myself have jumped on board with the creative cloud. McDonalds sells hamburgers but Burger King is not stealing the idea just breaking into the market that was created. I think it is a good thing because it brings competition and most of the time drives prices down. In my humble opinion...