PDA

View Full Version : New Filmmaker Support

Nick Soares
01-23-2012, 06:41 PM
**THIS THREAD IS CLOSED - PLEASE CREATE A NEW TOPIC HERE (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/) FOR SUPPORT**

****This thread is turning into a great information source for new filmmakers! Keep it up everyone, and if you know someone is looking for general newbie help, point them to this thread****

Hey guys, I thought I would open up a thread for new filmmakers to ask any question they want and I, along with others will answer them as best as possible.

Anything from Pre-Production to Distribution I can assist with

Here are some short cuts:

The number one thing to do when seeking investors for your film?
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/39-new-filmmaker-support.html#post235

What script software to use
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/39-new-filmmaker-support.html#post347

Cheap editing software?
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/39-new-filmmaker-support.html#post409

Sell a story to hollywood
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/39-new-filmmaker-support.html#post1982

I want to do a feature. I'm ready for my close up
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/39-new-filmmaker-support.html#post2580

Filmmaking shots and angles for beginners
Basic Shots and Angles - New Filmmakers (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/production/1347-filmmaking-shots-angles-new-filmmakers.html)

Nick Soares

(You can subscribe to this thread by clicking "Thread Tools" and in the drop down menu click "Subscribe" (Be sure to click *Instant Email Notification*) this will send an email to you when a new post has been added.)

Paul77
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi Nick,

My name is Paul and i am getting into the film industry. What is the #1 I should not do when seeking money from investors?

Also, what is the best camera to shoot on that looks like film?

Nick Soares
01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Nick,

My name is Paul and i am getting into the film industry. What is the #1 I should not do when seeking money from investors?

Also, what is the best camera to shoot on that looks like film?

Hey Paul, Thanks for joining.

To your first question -
The #1 thing not to do when asking for money is to not be emotional about it. Example, if you are doing a true story drama, dont explain to the investor that the story needs to be made because it is a true story, these are emotional investments which to investors are very risky. Instead explain the genre and profits it can make while keeping all emotions out of it. Just always remember emotional investments are risky investments.

To your second question -
The Epic (By Red) is going to be the hottest camera over the next few years. Its footage is compared to (if not better) then a panavision 35mm.

Hope this was of some help to you.

Paul77
01-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Hey Paul, Thanks for joining.

To your first question -
The #1 thing not to do when asking for money is to not be emotional about it. Example, if you are doing a true story drama, dont explain to the investor that the story needs to be made because it is a true story, these are emotional investments which to investors are very risky. Instead explain the genre and profits it can make while keeping all emotions out of it. Just always remember emotional investments are risky investments.

To your second question -
The Epic (By Red) is going to be the hottest camera over the next few years. Its footage is compared to (if not better) then a panavision 35mm.

Hope this was of some help to you.

Wow, thanks Nick you saved me $80 sisnce I didnt have to buy an ebook that a guy (with no imdb credits) was trying to sell me these secrets! This forum is the best I cant tell you how excited I am.

Thank you

Cheers!!!!!!

Nick Soares
01-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Ha, its my pleasure Paul, yea i see lots of ebooks out there, ive bought them all and there all junk. I just smile to be able to help people out, just like my friends helped me out when I started.

Let me know if anyone else has questions and ill do my best (for free) :)

Nick Soares

sparkle2012
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Investors only want to know about ROI regardless of the field you r in (film, software, social media, etc). Focus on what is unique about the project and what they will get out of it....have a nice day.

Nick Soares
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Investors only want to know about ROI regardless of the field you r in (film, software, social media, etc). Focus on what is unique about the project and what they will get out of it....have a nice day.

+1

MnM
01-24-2012, 10:32 PM
hi - i was wondering if there was a software I could use to write scripts? thank u

Nick Soares
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
hi - i was wondering if there was a software I could use to write scripts? thank u

MnM,

I personally used Final Draft when I wrote "A Brush With Death" and found it very useful. Others might have a different program in mined, but thats just what I used.

PH5.5
01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
...software I could use to write scripts?

Celtx is essentially and open source version of Final Draft. Not quite as full featured, but definately enough to get any writer started.

Celtx - #1 Choice for Media Pre-Production (http://www.celtx.com)

MattPrater
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
MnM,

I personally used Final Draft when I wrote "A Brush With Death" and found it very useful. Others might have a different program in mined, but thats just what I used.

Final Draft is the best. I've been using it for a decade.

Underdog
01-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I use Movie Magic and Final Draft. Mostly, I stick with Movie Magic.

Mark
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
hi thnk you for all of the info here. Truly a neat clean site. Can you let me know what is a cheap or even free software that i can edit a movie on?

Nick Soares
01-25-2012, 11:09 PM
hi thnk you for all of the info here. Truly a neat clean site. Can you let me know what is a cheap or even free software that i can edit a movie on?

Hey Mark, answered here ---> http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/72-cheap-editing-soft-ware.html

Ralph
02-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I've used both Final Draft and, currently, Movie Magic Screenwriter.
I noticed an anomaly when I changed my FD scripts to MMS format. There were less pages in MMS. Apparently, MMS handles white space at the bottom of the page differently, in a better way. A writer friend pointed this out to me.
If you're lazy, FD might be the way to go. Otherwise, MMS gives you 10-15% fewer pages for the same amount of work!
Has anyone else noticed this unusual and unexpected result when changing FD into MMS? :cool:

beckasbooks
03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Nick , I am actually a published author with Publish America. I am looking to sell one of my stories to hollywood for a great movie idea. Any suggestions, comments, or etc.?
Thanks Rebecca

Nick Soares
03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi Nick , I am actually a published author with Publish America. I am looking to sell one of my stories to hollywood for a great movie idea. Any suggestions, comments, or etc.?
Thanks Rebecca

My first thoughts are "How many sales"?

Do you have a website with a list of fans?

How popular is the book?

How are the reviews?

If you dont have many of the above questions then i think you will still be in same situation of any other screenwriter that has a great script.

The advantages you have is you might have an audience already, so this is a big + in your next step from Book to Screen

Hope this helped :)

actorwriter
03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Besides craigslist and this website, any other "free" places where there are producers looking for screenplays?

Nick Soares
03-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Besides craigslist and this website, any other "free" places where there are producers looking for screenplays?

Not that I know of, even though I use CL to find scripts/writers at times, I always post who I am and what im doing, many people do not do this and i wouldn't send to those people.

I do not know of any other website that hosts active "real" producers. This site will eventually become the largest "legit" producer hosting site in a few years, maybe less. I just really haven't been contacting the people I should because ive been swamped with post-production.

There are some other forums out there, but they are flooded with new filmmakers learning, and inexperienced people trying to teach.

My goal is to keep people busy with work using this site. I just need to contact all of my connection to post there work here, and I have been slacking on my part :)

smotion93
03-05-2012, 11:54 PM
hi nick,
im new to this page,but i want to know as a college student what could i do to gain experience in this field. particularly animation and horror films?

Nick Soares
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
hi nick,
im new to this page,but i want to know as a college student what could i do to gain experience in this field. particularly animation and horror films?

Great!, Im glad you joined!

Let me ask you a few questions,

What is your goal in the industry? Directing, Producing, Editing, CGI etc..?

What state are you from?

smotion93
03-06-2012, 12:16 AM
well im from california,the san fernando valley to be exact
my main interest is animation and im interested in special effects as well,
im a bit unsure what im going to choose but im really good at coming up with story ideas,creating horror movie makeup,drawing,etc.

Nick Soares
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
well im from california,the san fernando valley to be exact
my main interest is animation and im interested in special effects as well,
im a bit unsure what im going to choose but im really good at coming up with story ideas,creating horror movie makeup,drawing,etc.

First thing I recommend would be to find local films going on and offer to help in the department you want to learn more about. You want to learn the basics and language used on set.

If there are no films going on around you (within 5 hours) or further then your comfortable driving, then do some test on your own, grab a camera, or edit some animations and show your work. Competition is fierce in this industry, and everyone just wants in, so by showing your work you can find jobs/internships much easier and therefor getting your foot in the door.

By the way, do you know how to animate or is that what you want to learn? If you have some samples, send them my way and we can go from there.

RobertMercado
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
My name is Robert Mercado.

Ive been making shorts for youtube, funnyordie, or just for fun for a while now.
I am an actor and can't sit still so I'll write my own material just so I can act. I just finished my first draft on a family comedy I really love and I want to shoot it myself or maybe get someone else to do it.

I'm shooting on a canon 60d and having trouble with the sound being too echoey off the mic. Would a lavaliere alone give me the kind of quality capable of my movie being shown at a theater ? If not what should I steal?

And If go the route of trying to raise money for a crew? How much could I expect to spend on a sound guy ?

I feel like visually, I could make a compelling feature but sound wise ; its just not good enough yet.

Although, If Im using the wrong camera let me know. I want to make this right so I could just keep doing what I love.

So much to learn :)

Peace
Robert
Robert Mercado - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1540267/)

Nick Soares
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM
My name is Robert Mercado.

Ive been making shorts for youtube, funnyordie, or just for fun for a while now.
I am an actor and can't sit still so I'll write my own material just so I can act. I just finished my first draft on a family comedy I really love and I want to shoot it myself or maybe get someone else to do it.

I'm shooting on a canon 60d and having trouble with the sound being too echoey off the mic. Would a lavaliere alone give me the kind of quality capable of my movie being shown at a theater ? If not what should I steal?

And If go the route of trying to raise money for a crew? How much could I expect to spend on a sound guy ?

I feel like visually, I could make a compelling feature but sound wise ; its just not good enough yet.

Although, If Im using the wrong camera let me know. I want to make this right so I could just keep doing what I love.

So much to learn :)

Peace
Robert
Robert Mercado - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1540267/)

Yea sound is a big part in films.

Related to your questions, are you looking to do a feature or a short?

RobertMercado
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
I want to do a feature. I'm ready for my close up; you know what I'm saying. :)

Havey
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
We use the 7D for production that we do, and its sound is really good. Though it doesnt pick up some things from a good distance. I do like the 60D but have you ever considered upgrading the camera? If not you could buy a mic system, you can get some decent mics for not all that much.

Also it depends on how much production value you want out of this..is it just going on youtube, or are you wanting to make a feature like Nick said ect? If not, you wont have to pay that much. Its all about what you are wanting to do with it.

Nick Soares
05-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I want to do a feature. I'm ready for my close up; you know what I'm saying. :)

Ok, got it ~

If you want my honest tips:

Raise $20,000
Do a found Footage Horror Film
Make some money

Then raise more (now you are credible to your investors) and do a larger budget film

RobertMercado
05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
You guys are amazing. Thank you for the advice. You got me inspired, my brain is ticking, and I feel good. Woooohooo! Cheers to Horror Movies!

Nick Soares
05-08-2012, 01:43 PM
You guys are amazing. Thank you for the advice. You got me inspired, my brain is ticking, and I feel good. Woooohooo! Cheers to Horror Movies!

Let me know when you have it complete, DiGi Distribution will take a look at it

samuelr
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Kurt Kelly with his exceptional Voice Over skills is a perfect in all that he accomplished. He is Very professional, quick and easy-going.

lev_47
11-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey,

Looking at getting a new hdv camera for some small projects and maybe progressing onto bigger ones. Not really concerned about cost, I just want to know what some of the quality camera's that people use are, and their specifics i.e. are there better pieces of equipment for making documentaries as opposed to short films...

Any advice would be good as I'm fairly new to the scene and my background is purely audio.

Cheers

theozguron
12-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Oh never mind I figured it out

Treadwell
01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
What is the process of getting a script to an actor's manager or agent for their consideration to be a lead in a production? Specifically, an up and coming African American actor, Christian Keyes. Also, the established actors, Brian White and Boris Kodjoe; what is their typical fee and how would I submit a script to their agents?

Nick Soares
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
What is the process of getting a script to an actor's manager or agent for their consideration to be a lead in a production? Specifically, an up and coming African American actor, Christian Keyes. Also, the established actors, Brian White and Boris Kodjoe; what is their typical fee and how would I submit a script to their agents?

First, Find out who the agent is:

You will need to be very prepared, agents with up-coming stars are normally very busy and you most likely only have one chance if your not a millionaire

Have a budget ready

Have what you will pay them ready --- PLEASE make sure it is not below SAG requirements - They will ignore you

Have a proposal ready - With Budget - Synopsis - (Make sure money is in bank and can be Guaranteed!

The economy is bad, so if there is work with a promise of X amount then it will increase your chances of being taken serious.

Keep in mind that having a budget to small will most likely cause the agent to ignore, as they know what certain budgets can produce in quality, sound, etc...

They want their talent to continue work and being in a low-budget film could hurt that chance...

Hope this helped

ericNCwriter
01-27-2013, 12:27 PM

I found two decent free script-writing software packages. One is Celtx, as someone else mentioned. The other is Trelby, which takes a little effort to figure out, but it includes the ability to export your script as a watermarked PDF. Trelby also includes a database of tens of thousands of names of all nationalities, so if you're having trouble coming up with a name for your Armenian butcher, it can help. If you decide to try out Trelby and want a few pointers, feel free to get in touch.

BlackholeFM
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Greetings,

I am currently working on an amateur film production with an almost non-existent budget. We are hoping to have a fire effect, both for use with a camp-fire and if possible a flame-torch. Safety and legal issues render actual fire pretty much impossible to utilise, and while I can certainly produce flame and fire effects in post production, as the segment in question will be filmed at night I will need some flame-like light source to work with. Most options for producing realistic flame-light at the correct brightness seem to be quite costly from what we have thus far seen and both I and my co-producer are stumped. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick Soares
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Greetings,

I am currently working on an amateur film production with an almost non-existent budget. We are hoping to have a fire effect, both for use with a camp-fire and if possible a flame-torch. Safety and legal issues render actual fire pretty much impossible to utilise, and while I can certainly produce flame and fire effects in post production, as the segment in question will be filmed at night I will need some flame-like light source to work with. Most options for producing realistic flame-light at the correct brightness seem to be quite costly from what we have thus far seen and both I and my co-producer are stumped. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Try this. Light them with whatever light source you have (from a low angle - or which ever angle is most realistic to their shadows) now in front of the light source you can have a piece of paper (or cardboard) and cut some random holes and shapes in it. Have someone dedicated to moving this back and forth at a speed suitable to your liking. This will give a flicker effect - Now in post, darken and color correct to a more orange hue to give the campfire feel....

^ This is the general idea, you can modify this in many ways

The size of the holes and the length of them will have an effect on the look, so try different ways.

BlackholeFM
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Try this. Light them with whatever light source you have (from a low angle - or which ever angle is most realistic to their shadows) now in front of the light source you can have a piece of paper (or cardboard) and cut some random holes and shapes in it. Have someone dedicated to moving this back and forth at a speed suitable to your liking. This will give a flicker effect - Now in post, darken and color correct to a more orange hue to give the campfire feel....

^ This is the general idea, you can modify this in many ways

The size of the holes and the length of them will have an effect on the look, so try different ways.

Thank you! I think we will definitely give this a go.

Treadwell
02-04-2013, 09:40 PM
First, Find out who the agent is:

You will need to be very prepared, agents with up-coming stars are normally very busy and you most likely only have one chance if your not a millionaire

Have a budget ready

Have what you will pay them ready --- PLEASE make sure it is not below SAG requirements - They will ignore you

Have a proposal ready - With Budget - Synopsis - (Make sure money is in bank and can be Guaranteed!

The economy is bad, so if there is work with a promise of X amount then it will increase your chances of being taken serious.

Keep in mind that having a budget to small will most likely cause the agent to ignore, as they know what certain budgets can produce in quality, sound, etc...

They want their talent to continue work and being in a low-budget film could hurt that chance...

Hope this helped

WoW! A little disheartening but, thanks for keeping it real! I guess we will keep moving forward with talented actors who are not YET headliners:)

Liked
02-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Hey Nick! I'm new here and I just wanted some tips on starting up. I'm a newbie so yeah....

Specifically, how did you start out with filmmaking? What did you do/have to know before starting?
What camera/camcorder or tools would you suggest I start out with?
Are there any types of software you would recommend that I learn to use for editing purposes? Because I know when people take pictures, they would use photoshop/lightroom to change the lighting and edit how the pictures look.

Let me know! Thanks!

Nick Soares
02-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Hey Liked! I will need a little more information to answer you that correctly.

What is your goal with filmmaking?

What position do you see yourself in 10 years from now? - Director, Producer, Actor, Sound,Editing, Production Management?

Patrick Wiley
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Where does one actually find investors, I've heard vague ideas like "look for people in the restaurant industry" but no real plan of action. How do I find these people and how do I approach them, cold call? letter? screener?

Nick Soares
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Where does one actually find investors, I've heard vague ideas like "look for people in the restaurant industry" but no real plan of action. How do I find these people and how do I approach them, cold call? letter? screener?

This is the mother of all questions, and near the limits of what this free support can offer. You can get a PRO account for really cheap right now on our IndieGoGo campaign, that will allow you to the downloads section and I do believe will answer this dreadful question :)

Also, according to my notes, a pro account will bump you up 10 spots in the script contest.

Paul77
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Very much worth it. Thank you Nick for everything

Nick Soares
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.digipress.us/pics/troy-book.png

EvanC
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey everyone. My name is Evan and I hail from the west coast of Ireland, moved to DC about 2 years ago and just recently moved to Boston, MA. I've always had a passion for film and am just recently starting to realize that more than anything I want to try my own hand at it, recreationally at the very least. I've worked in production pretty much since I first got here, first on a nightly news program and then on two different documentary series. Right now I am working on a documentary/biopic of a former president of Egypt as a production assistant. Enough of my boring intro...

My question is about what level to start at Camera wise for someone who just wants to test the waters before diving right in. I know that's not the ideal attitude but I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. I have some experience with FCP...I've edited plenty of short stuff together (never in a stylized way though) so I'm looking for a low to mid range camera to use to try some stuff out. My budget will probably be somewhere in the 500-1000 range (preferably on the lower end as I'm also going to need my own Macbook pro and FCP software). Like I said I've got some editing experience but no shooting experience and I want to know what will give me the best bang for my buck as a newbie.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

Kevin
02-21-2013, 07:20 PM
http://www.digipress.us/pics/troy-book.png

I actually own this book. Weird. Gonna read it once I get it back from my buddy... heh.

Nick Soares
02-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone. My name is Evan and I hail from the west coast of Ireland, moved to DC about 2 years ago and just recently moved to Boston, MA. I've always had a passion for film and am just recently starting to realize that more than anything I want to try my own hand at it, recreationally at the very least. I've worked in production pretty much since I first got here, first on a nightly news program and then on two different documentary series. Right now I am working on a documentary/biopic of a former president of Egypt as a production assistant. Enough of my boring intro...

My question is about what level to start at Camera wise for someone who just wants to test the waters before diving right in. I know that's not the ideal attitude but I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. I have some experience with FCP...I've edited plenty of short stuff together (never in a stylized way though) so I'm looking for a low to mid range camera to use to try some stuff out. My budget will probably be somewhere in the 500-1000 range (preferably on the lower end as I'm also going to need my own Macbook pro and FCP software). Like I said I've got some editing experience but no shooting experience and I want to know what will give me the best bang for my buck as a newbie.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

Havey? SeanParkerFilms? I know you guys know more about this range of camera then me. I only really have experience with 35mm, HVX, RED, and the EPIC.

Dont worry, someone will help you soon