PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of noise on footage

BobbyTannock
03-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Hello everyone, I'm editing a short video for my cinematography course and the footage was mostly shot at night.
On the shoot we had 4 weak LED lights because that's all we could book out. The footage looks nice but it's a bit noisy.
I've changed the luminance levels in post and I managed to get rid of some or most of it by raising the lights, darkening the darks, using a sensible gamma and adding a slight black tint over it but I was wondering if anyone knows a decent way, (software, plug-in ect) that would almost certainly get rid of the remaining noise.
I'm editing on Sony Vegas and unfortunately I haven't come across a noise reduction plug-in yet. Is there one or some decent software to use?
Thanks =)

Soundmaxx
03-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi BobbyTannock,

I can give it a try, to clean up your audio file for free. Contact me if you like :)
Thanks...

BobbyTannock
03-11-2014, 01:38 AM
video noise :p Audio noise I can clean up no problem I mean there's grain and noise on the video. Thanks though :)

Soundmaxx
03-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Ok then :) Good luck!

Anonymous Filmmaker
03-11-2014, 03:31 AM
If you have after effects you can do it with that. I found this: http://www.neatvideo.com/index.html?g34, but no idea if it's any good.

BobbyTannock
03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
thanks for the tip i'll take a wild stab at it

UniqueAmI
03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Something I learned the hard way. If you want a dark scene, do NOT shoot it dark. Darken it in post.

Anything can be darkened and it will enhance the image. You can not lighten an image and enhance it. Because if it's shot dark, what you're trying to lighten isn't on the video.

Shoot light. Darken in post. That was a nasty lesson to learn.

BobbyTannock
03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah I'm definitely learning that now lol. Thing is though we had 5 lights. 4 Roto lights and a LED box light our cameraman owned. The roto lights are piss poor. For lighting a cross lit 2 shot and lighting trees we couldn't get much light on them. What we do have is acceptable even with the grain but yeah it's definitely a learning experience struggling with this footage.

Aaron Jones
03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
I shot a wedding that had some grain in it and I had some experience with Denoiser II by Red Giant. A plugin that works in Premiere Pro and After Effects.

filmmaker6563
03-22-2014, 07:39 PM
As stated, DeNoiser and Neat Video are good plugins. Although for future situations, just make sure you light your scenes well... don't always depend on plugins to save you.

Littlemonkey
03-30-2014, 08:42 AM
This thursdays film riot episode is about shooting in the dark or lighting in the dark
Watch it, I learned a lot from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15tYFWR4cvA&list=UU6P24bhhCmMPOcujA9PKPTA