Havey
03-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Anyone watching the Oscars?

Anonymous Filmmaker
03-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Yup.

filmmaker6563
03-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Yup. Coincidentally, today is my birthday. A perfect present :)

Leto's speech was amazing. Was a bit annoyed with Gatsby (didn't like ANYTHING about that movie) and 20 Feet From Stardom (other docs far more important), but overall not bad so far. Fingers crossed for 12 Years a Slave for Best Picture, and Prisoners for Cinematography.

Anonymous Filmmaker
03-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Yup. Coincidentally, today is my birthday. A perfect present :)

Leto's speech was amazing. Was a bit annoyed with Gatsby (didn't like ANYTHING about that movie) and 20 Feet From Stardom (other docs far more important), but overall not bad so far. Fingers crossed for 12 Years a Slave for Best Picture, and Prisoners for Cinematography.
Happy birthday!

I'm just rooting for Gravity to win as much as possible. I really love that movie!

filmmaker6563
03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Haha! Thanks AF!

12 Years a Slave is going to win Best Picture, and Gravity wins a ton of technical awards + best director. Honestly, 12YAS is an important movie that people need to see... Steve McQueen is one of the most important directors around, with 3 masterpieces, IMO. Prisoners might not win anything, but I personally thought it had the finest cinematography... some of the best I've seen in the last couple of years. I'm going to go as far as to say it has some of the most beautiful imagery of the last decade and a half.

filmmaker6563
03-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Whoa. Lupita's speech was amazing.

Havey
03-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Honestly thought that was the best overall show I've seen in years. Oscar's wise.

filmmaker6563
03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
I loved it. Except for Great Gatsby. I personally thought the set design and costumes were far too extravagant and distracting, the frame was always cluttered.

Aside from that, I thought the Oscars this year were near perfect as Havey said, one of the best in years. Ellen was also a good apology from the Academy because of McFarlane ;)

Sammy388
05-02-2014, 03:28 AM
I loved it. Except for Great Gatsby. I personally thought the set design and costumes were far too extravagant and distracting, the frame was always cluttered.

Aside from that, I thought the Oscars this year were near perfect as Havey said, one of the best in years. Ellen was also a good apology from the Academy because of McFarlane ;)

Baz Luhrmann basically bedazzles everything on his set. For certain movies it works but it was so hard to take some scenes seriously when there are literally a thousand flowers distracting you from what really happening in the scene. His movies are beautiful but I describe his version of The Great Gatsby as the music video version...I didn't love it.