PDA

View Full Version : Let's get organized!

Vance Baryn
02-13-2014, 09:35 PM
It appears there is some renewed interest in doing this. It sort of just died the last time, and I know I haven't been around much lately, but let's get organized and get this done.

What we need is one person who is completely in charge and can make decisions and push it forward. He or she will take into account the opinions of others, but have the final say on everything. This free for all we have going on now is going to get us nowhere.

We need someone who has the time and inclination to do so to step up and take charge of this thing or nothing will ever get done. Democracy is a terrible form of government. We need a benevolent leader.

filmmaker6563
02-14-2014, 08:38 AM
BOW DOWN TO ME, MORAL BEINGS!

Now, I'd like you all to build an alter and start offering up sacrifices. I'd also appreciate everyone to start working on that golden throne.

Anonymous Filmmaker
02-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Ummm, so I guess you're interested in being the leader?

filmmaker6563
02-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Nah, that was just a demon spea- I mean, I was just joking around. Yeah, just joking around. Yeah It's all good (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfrb1t7G0S1qao79po1_500.jpg).

-

If anything's going to happen, we should probably get Nick involved. Although a good starting place would be to establish the following:

- Short or Feature
- Doc, Experimental, or Narrative
- People who would like to be involved
- Budget (???)
- Distribution plan

At least we know that people are taking an interest in the idea of making a community film. That's a start.

Anonymous Filmmaker
02-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Nah, that was just a demon spea- I mean, I was just joking around. Yeah, just joking around. Yeah It's all good (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfrb1t7G0S1qao79po1_500.jpg).

-

If anything's going to happen, we should probably get Nick involved. Although a good starting place would be to establish the following:

- Short or Feature
- Doc, Experimental, or Narrative
- People who would like to be involved
- Budget (???)
- Distribution plan

At least we know that people are taking an interest in the idea of making a community film. That's a start.
We voted a while ago, but we should decide again because different people are involved now. I would vote narrative, although the idea of a doc about film making would be of interest to me as well.

Kevin
02-14-2014, 07:44 PM
There's a certain logic to the documentary idea there... though I do like me some narrative. A short just seems to ... short... for the complexity here.

Vance Baryn
02-14-2014, 07:45 PM
It would be great if Nick were involved, but that's not a prerequisite. We have lots of talented people here, and I feel we can move ahead on this as long as someone just takes charge and makes it happen.

As far as the list of things that we need to figure out, that's one of the problems that is better solved once we have someone heading this thing up. At that point there won't be a whole bunch of votes and discussion and no action. There will be a brief discussion and then a definitive decision will be made and then we move on.

That said, though, I think a few items on your list are easy to answer if we actually want to get it done.

- Short or Feature: Definitely do a short first as a proof of concept. get the processes down before we try to jump in the deep end.
- Budget: I would say pretty much none for the short/proof of concept. Just out of pocket, people use their existing equipment
- Distribution plan: none. Do a proof of concept first. Put it up for free online.

- People who would like to be involved: This is one of the things the leader would do, confirm who is involved and assign them roles.

- Doc, Experimental, or Narrative: This seems to be the most contentious point. Once again, it's something that the leader will have to just make a decision on. Unfortunately, this decision has the ability to alienate some people. For example, I would have little interest in working on anything other than a narrative film. But the decision just has to be made and then let the people who aren't interested decide not to participate. You can't please everyone.

Kevin
02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Personally I'd suggest NOT experimental. One, I'm a "New, inexperienced" filmmaker so basics are more my wheelhouse, and two... everyone would have to agree to an experiment. I think this "diffused" film crew method would, alone, qualify as an experiment

filmmaker6563
02-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Okay.

So, we're going to be making a short with no budget or distribution plan to establish that we can actually make something and proceed to move onto bigger projects. A short narrative seems like the best choice (although we'd probably have to either have one person shoot it or intertwined stories), although if we can come up with an idea for a doc, that's an option as well.

I can help get this project going, if no one else is interested.

---

Any doc ideas anyone?

Vance Baryn
02-16-2014, 01:12 AM
So, we're going to be making a short with no budget or distribution plan to establish that we can actually make something and proceed to move onto bigger projects.

I am completely convinced that is the best way to go. It is guaranteed that once we start there will be problems. There will be technical problems that severely affect the quality of the film. There will be people who commit to do things and then flake. There will be things we haven't even thought of that will impede our progress. All these things will happen. Do we really want all that to happen on a feature film that we have actually invested money in?

A short narrative seems like the best choice (although we'd probably have to either have one person shoot it or intertwined stories)

I also think a short narrative would be best. In my opinion, having one person shoot it would not be in the spirit of the project. Over the life of this idea, however, there have been vastly differing opinions on what exactly this project is, and my opinion is certainly no more definitive than any other.

Here is how I see it going down though:

1. A script is written that includes various locations throughout the world where there are different people in each place. There has been no dearth of suggestions about how to do that (ex. The characters collaborate over the Internet, the main character can jump bodies, etc, etc)
2. A team in each location shoots and edits their portion of the film.
3. The fragments are sent to a master editor who puts it all together.
4. Other post work such as audio sweetening, colorist, and so forth are each done by a single person so it stays consistent.
5. Movie finished!

Yes, if we do it this way, the different locations will likely have different editing styles. I think this is a good thing! It gives each location its own style.

I suppose I'll throw in my hat for ring leader as well.

Let's give it a week or so and see if anyone else is interested.

filmmaker6563
02-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I am completely convinced that is the best way to go. It is guaranteed that once we start there will be problems. There will be technical problems that severely affect the quality of the film. There will be people who commit to do things and then flake. There will be things we haven't even thought of that will impede our progress. All these things will happen. Do we really want all that to happen on a feature film that we have actually invested money in?

Cool. That sounds like the best route to go.

I also think a short narrative would be best. In my opinion, having one person shoot it would not be in the spirit of the project. Over the life of this idea, however, there have been vastly differing opinions on what exactly this project is, and my opinion is certainly no more definitive than any other.

Okay, I think that a narrative sounds good.

1. A script is written that includes various locations throughout the world where there are different people in each place. There has been no dearth of suggestions about how to do that (ex. The characters collaborate over the Internet, the main character can jump bodies, etc, etc)
2. A team in each location shoots and edits their portion of the film.
3. The fragments are sent to a master editor who puts it all together.
4. Other post work such as audio sweetening, colorist, and so forth are each done by a single person so it stays consistent.
5. Movie finished!

What about someone who wakes up a different human being every couple of minutes, almost like a more serious "Freaky Friday". Perhaps all of the stories can be intertwined.

I suppose I'll throw in my hat for ring leader as well. Let's give it a week or so and see if anyone else is interested.

Seeing the rough plan we're devising now, I'd actually be glad to lead the project.