PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's questions [Production + Edition]

Micard
01-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Hello there!

I'm just a beginner in film making and I've reached that point when it's time to make something worthwhile. I've got a few questions, so I hope you don't mind answering them.

Audio:

1) Should I use internal camcorder mic for recording surrounding sounds? Steps, rustle etc.
2) I have to use external microphone for recording dialogues and important sounds, if I understand correctly.
3) Any tips for synchronizing video and sounds from different recording sources?

Video:

1) Situation. I have a whole scene. Imagine a guy sitting on a couch and then suddenly TV turns on or a painting falls on the floor. How do I show this? Should I show it in one shot, in one big scene? Or should I show the painting falling in a different shot?
2) I have different sources of video recording. I've got a camcorder, a DSLR camera, some other stuff. I assume that the picture will be looking always differently. Any tips?

Thanks!

Nick Soares
01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
You internal mic will pick up so much ambient sound it would be useless if you want to have a "professional film feel" to you video, BUT I would suggest someone here that knows more about DSLRs then I to reply to the audio question.

I have a whole scene. Imagine a guy sitting on a couch and then suddenly TV turns on or a painting falls on the floor.

This sounds like a "clip" not a scene, but to try and answer your question would be really hard to say because we don't know the genre, the current "mood" of the scene, or how the other scenes are being shot.

Micard
01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Hey Nick! Thanks for your reply! It's going to be a horror movie, so the mood is pretty stressful and dark. I've seen different ways of shooting these kind of things, so I'm not really sure which one is more preferable.

Anonymous Filmmaker
01-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Hello there!

I'm just a beginner in film making and I've reached that point when it's time to make something worthwhile. I've got a few questions, so I hope you don't mind answering them.

Audio:

1) Should I use internal camcorder mic for recording surrounding sounds? Steps, rustle etc.
2) I have to use external microphone for recording dialogues and important sounds, if I understand correctly.
3) Any tips for synchronizing video and sounds from different recording sources?

Video:

1) Situation. I have a whole scene. Imagine a guy sitting on a couch and then suddenly TV turns on or a painting falls on the floor. How do I show this? Should I show it in one shot, in one big scene? Or should I show the painting falling in a different shot?
2) I have different sources of video recording. I've got a camcorder, a DSLR camera, some other stuff. I assume that the picture will be looking always differently. Any tips?

Thanks!

Audio:

1: I do not recommend it. While DSLR mics are often underrated because they are often too far away from the action and too close to the lens, they pick up a broad range of sound and would be bad for specifics.

2: Again, you don't have to, but it would greatly increase production value. If you opt not to, move in the camera close to the actor so the audio is picked up clearly.

3: Use a slate.

Video:

1: You could do both, but I would probably make it a series of short cuts to build up stress.

2: Shoot on a flat profile, rec 709 if possible. Then, color "correct" all of the shots to look the same. After that you can do a color "grade" which you can apply whatever look you want to all of the clips.

Micard
01-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Hey there! Thanks for your assistance! Much appreciate it!

Micard
01-08-2014, 09:24 AM
I've got one more question, if you don't mind. Is there any difference if I connect my ext. mic directly to the laptop or camera?

VTLithyouvong
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I know you have tons of questions and they might not all be answered. Here are a few things that might help. Watch a lot of movies....from blockbuster hits to B-rated. Also watch a lot of behind the scenes, I believe that's important. Knowing the process will help things move a little smoother. I have no film school education but this is how I learned. I started out small, really small, and now, I just wrapped filming this weekend on a music video shoot with professional cast & crew, it's currently in post-production. My 2nd music video as the director. Music video is essentially making a short movie because this video is about 85% film, 15% seeing the artist sing.

Shoot shoot shoot, that is the only way to get better. Whether is good or bad, it is essentially a training tool to look back at.

AUDIO:
Internal mics are horrible. If you can cough up some money, use an portable external audio recorder, ie, Tascam DR-40 and a shotgun mic, ie RodeMic. RodeMic is good for dialog since it's directional. Tascam can record great stereo too for background. As for syncing, SLATE IT. You probably heard this before.....90% audio, 10% visual, maybe not those exact numbers. I would rather watch a horrible movie with good audio than vise versa.

VIDEO:
Like what everyone else is saying...it's your film, you set the mood, you decide the vision. Use your artistic gut feeling. Try using the same type of camera or close. If not, make sure the settings are the same or close to.

Micard
01-08-2014, 09:48 AM
VTLithyouvong, awesome! Thank you very much!

VTLithyouvong
01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
I've got one more question, if you don't mind. Is there any difference if I connect my ext. mic directly to the laptop or camera?

Yes it will make a difference. I know for a fact that the DSLR cameras have AGC (audio gain control). That causes a hissing/buzzing sound when connecting directly to it. Unless you have a firmware update to turn off AGC, then that would work. But, it would not be great quality, it will be bearable. Of course, nothing will beat external audio recorder.