PDA

View Full Version : Copyright covered music in film?!?

JacopoScano
01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Good evening everyone!

I've just joined the forum because I couldn't find any answers to my topic :)

So, I've been working as a filmmaker both for myself and on commission, and I think if everything works out I'm gonna shoot my first feature this summer...
So far I've always worked with copyright-free, creative commons music for my productions and I guess I'm gonna do the same with this film.
Although, I'd love to have like two minutes out of a song by the Electric Light Orchestra as the end credits sequence... :S

Obviously I can't afford to pay their rights to that excerpt, but I heard rumors about some contests that accept films that include copyrighted material as long as you're, you know, still an aspiring director and not an actual one.
Similarly, I've heard of other contests (it's still rumors, that's why I'm still doubtful) which [I]reward[I] your movie, in case of course it's the "best of fest" kinda thing, with its distribution and, consequently with all copyright expenses covered.

Is that right? Are there any other legal ways to do it? Meaning I literally don't intend to use the song without being busted, but at the contrary, finding a way to be allowed to use it!

Thank you so much for your help! :)
Jack

Jsthompson79
01-01-2014, 10:54 AM
I do not know the answer to your questions either but I would be doubtful that either scenario exists. My suggestion would be to check out Withoutabox and research the festivals you are interested in. On Withoutabox it will list the requirements of the festival in order for your film to screen. As for music, there are a lot of aspiring composers on here that are always looking for work. I am sure you can find someone that will work with you on your film and will work within your price range. Also welcome to the forum.

filmmaker6563
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Never heard of those. But I assure you that your best bet is hiring a composer. It's better than risking it by using a copyrighted song, or using royalty free stuff. Plus, you find work that better suits your production.

mara
01-01-2014, 02:15 PM
In addition to hiring an aspiring composer, there are many indie bands performing original work that would love the exposure of having their work included in a movie.

JacopoScano
01-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Thank you all so much!!
Actually I thought of hiring some composers but always gave up for lack in funds... Maybe I'll find someone who'd like an "exchange" :)

filmmaker6563
01-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I'll PM you my composer's page.

Soundmaxx
01-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Hello JacopoScano

I'm a new member here as well. I'm a freelancer musician composer. Feel free to contact me, we will try to find a solution for your needs!

Have a nice day,
Soundmaxx

Nick Soares
01-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Much of the decision in companies allowing to use their material is based on the "end product" - Many artist would love to have their song be in a film, but if the film is crappy they do not want to affiliate their song with it.

Here is a similar deal I went through with Coors Light. We had the script and asked for permission to use their beer in the film, they first said no because the characters in the film were to young, so we re-wrote the film to be college students. Then they said the budget is to low to be affiliated with us, but we could show them the find product and they would decide. They ended up giving us permission to use their beer in our film.

khathawayart
01-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Nick...

That means you used their beer [presumably on camera] and they decided later to say yes? If they said no, you'd have to reshoot?

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Nick Soares
01-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Nick...

That means you used their beer [presumably on camera] and they decided later to say yes? If they said no, you'd have to reshoot?

Kurt Hathaway

Yes, we would have had to cut that scene out, or re-shoot it

SamuelR74
01-13-2014, 08:13 AM
Good evening everyone!

I've just joined the forum because I couldn't find any answers to my topic :)

So, I've been working as a filmmaker both for myself and on commission, and I think if everything works out I'm gonna shoot my first feature this summer...
So far I've always worked with copyright-free, creative commons music for my productions and I guess I'm gonna do the same with this film.
Although, I'd love to have like two minutes out of a song by the Electric Light Orchestra as the end credits sequence... :S

Obviously I can't afford to pay their rights to that excerpt, but I heard rumors about some contests that accept films that include copyrighted material as long as you're, you know, still an aspiring director and not an actual one.
Similarly, I've heard of other contests (it's still rumors, that's why I'm still doubtful) which [I]reward[I] your movie, in case of course it's the "best of fest" kinda thing, with its distribution and, consequently with all copyright expenses covered.

Is that right? Are there any other legal ways to do it? Meaning I literally don't intend to use the song without being busted, but at the contrary, finding a way to be allowed to use it!

Thank you so much for your help! :)
Jack

Keep this link in your back pocket. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html and refer to it from time to time. Commercially, you may have issue with copyrighted material unless you negotiate (the way Nick did). But depending on the purpose of your project, you may have some leeway.

RRKFilms
02-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Fun topic, if I may weigh in a bit: I am a pro film maker and pro musician/writer too, with a heavy slant on YouTube content.

We often hear from a company looking for original tunes (or even covers of famous songs) that sound similar to a famous song - ad agencies will often cut a commercial using a famous song as a "placeholder," and then can't afford the rights; they then solicit alternate tracks which will "fill that hole."

Spartacus
02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
In addition to hiring an aspiring composer, there are many indie bands performing original work that would love the exposure of having their work included in a movie.

How does one go about getting permission in situations like this from random musicians?

filmmaker6563
02-17-2014, 12:45 AM
How does one go about getting permission in situations like this from random musicians?

Contacting them and obtaining the proper legal work to get the permission and clearance to use their work in your project.

Mick Scarborough
04-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Its not hard getting the rights to copyrighted songs but it can be expensive. I got an artist (the son of Joey Dee of The Starliters) to do my soundtrack. He will charge me nothing and the copyrighted songs he will be using I will be obtaining the rights to for under $100. Yes, It helps to have contacts but its not required.

MakefilmsOrDie
04-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Basically it all comes down to: Are you making money off of (directly or indirectly) the use of copyrighted material you don't own the rights too? That's where it really matters. Because that's where the owners of said material, are a. losing out. or b. want a piece of your pie. Youtube videos people make for fun and include there favorite song from (insert popular band/group here), aren't a problem until you try to monetize the video. Then you have the possibility of making money from it and there for can be sued. You of course could be sued for the non-monetized video, however, the pursuit is not usually worth the hassle. At the least they could just contact the site and have the video removed for infringement. But, when you're talking about a feature, and I would imagine you're looking to sell the film and get distribution, and most companies wouldn't touch it if nothing has been done to procure those rights. It wouldn't be worth getting sued.

Just my $0.02

mara
04-15-2014, 08:08 AM

We've started by focussing on musicans/groups who one of us know personally; some say yes, some say no.
If they say yes, I send them a release to sign and return.

One of my colleagues recently heard a band that she thought was terrific, and whose style would fit well in the movie
that we're shooting in the fall. She talked with the musicans after their set, bought a cd, and got their manager's business card.
We'll reach out to him and see what he says.

NickAtMixxus
04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I heard rumors about some contests that accept films that include copyrighted material as long as you're, you know, still an aspiring director
Well, it's not up to the contest's managment to decide since the copyright belongs to the creator of what is copyrighted. The same as when you have made your movie, it's up to you to decide in what context it can be shown. You could always try to ask the ELO nice (or whoever has their rights) and tell them your position... who knows? Anyway, as both a Composer and a film maker, I really think it's important to have the right music for your film, music that really fits. If you can't get ELO, maybe you can ask yourself what in their track, or what emotion it was that made you want the track. Perhaps you could turn to a Composer (that can adjust to your budget) and see if you could get that from a composed track that is all yours to use. There are many out there who can do good jobs. (You are also welcome to ask me:) at www.thefilmscorestore.com/

Fiveacre Films
06-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Nick...
Kurt Hathaway

I don't see why anyone would bother using/clearing a name-brand product in a low budget film. Faux product brands are so easy and fun to create, and add an extra dimension of production value to your film, if you ask me. Look at all the fun Tarantino has had with his Red Apple cigarettes and Big Kahuna Burger.

PatrickAThompson
08-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Good evening everyone!

.... but I heard rumors about some contests that accept films that include copyrighted material as long as you're, you know, still an aspiring director and not an actual one.
Jack

Be careful with festivals or people who don't observe copyrighted material.. If they're willing to allow producers\directors to steal others' work and use it, one can only imagine what they might do to your work. I'd steer clear of them..

Johnny Utah
07-10-2015, 03:46 PM
I'd love to have like two minutes out of a song by the Electric Light Orchestra as the end credits sequence
I once tried to license a song by an obscure 80's metal band (Beau Nasty) that released one album and nobody has ever heard of them. The major publisher wanted some absurd, ridiculous amount of money and that was just to show the film at festivals! I told them to take a hike.

I wound up licensing from a company that specializes in licensing indie music. If you do the leg work on your own by posting notices and searching SoundCloud (then asking for permission) you can just as easily find low cost music on your own. That's what making an indie film is all about. Taking the less traveled creative road.

Studio Nine
07-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Look into some of the different music libraries out there. Some offer inexpensive options for student/indie/non-profit licenses. I just received a pay statement from a library my music is in. Two of my tracks sold cheaper than the others. The usage descriptions were "Student/Non-Profit" and "Low Budget Internet".