PDA

View Full Version : Editing Laptop

emmhor
12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Hello. Next year I will be going to a school which teaches me how to use camera,editing,animating and more stuff. I'm good on the editing but the other things i have never done before. But my question is what is a good laptop which can edit easily (Fast in ram preview,rendering(not to long), Experts should know what i need.) in AE do some animating you know what I mean. NO APPLE STUFF. Thanks Manuel

Anonymous Filmmaker
12-12-2013, 01:21 PM
How much?

emmhor
12-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Give me something under $2000

Jsthompson79
12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Shrugging off Apple stuff is a bad idea since the industry you are entering will more than likely be using Apple computers. Mac Pros and Macbooks are awesome and easy to use. Plus they have the bonus of not having to worry about viruses.

Anonymous Filmmaker
12-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Give me something under $2000
Check out alienware. http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx#overrides=dkcwg44h:8~75080N

Not the cheapest, but from what I heard, they last.

emmhor
12-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Hey Jst.
So the Macbook Pro is arround 2-3k Euro's I'm not sure what one I will get.
13",15"No clue.

Jsthompson79
12-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey Jst.
So the Macbook Pro is arround 2-3k Euro's I'm not sure what one I will get.
13",15"No clue.

I currently use a 13" that is two years old and it does everything I could possibly want. I use After Effects, Premiere, Audition, and it will run Final Cut Pro X. I would check them to see which one will let you upgrade the memory. Some of the models come with memory soddered into the motherboard. You will want one where you can increase the memory.

emmhor
12-14-2013, 01:09 AM
I currently use a 13" that is two years old and it does everything I could possibly want. I use After Effects, Premiere, Audition, and it will run Final Cut Pro X. I would check them to see which one will let you upgrade the memory. Some of the models come with memory soddered into the motherboard. You will want one where you can increase the memory.

I have some questions left.
13"is 2core 15"4core> Will the 4 core improve performance al lot?
8GB or 16GB of RAM?
What about HDD?
-standard 256 GB(if i'm correct)
-500 GB
-Buy external drive?

Anonymous Filmmaker
12-14-2013, 05:07 AM
I have some questions left.
13"is 2core 15"4core> Will the 4 core improve performance al lot?
8GB or 16GB of RAM?
What about HDD?
-standard 256 GB(if i'm correct)
-500 GB
-Buy external drive?
Yes, 4 core will improve performance. Definitely go 16 gig. Some recommend at least 32 for ae. SSD drives are cool. I don't have a mac, but I use the ssd as my boot up drive and store AE on it. Then everything else goes on a much bigger 2 terabyte drive. However, you don't need 256 gigs, anything over sixty should do the job. The difference between ssd and regular is that ssd doesn't have moving parts, so it's faster. For your storage you will want more than 500 total, but if you want the rest externally that is fine.

Jsthompson79
12-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Yes, 4 core will improve performance. Definitely go 16 gig. Some recommend at least 32 for ae. SSD drives are cool. I don't have a mac, but I use the ssd as my boot up drive and store AE on it. Then everything else goes on a much bigger 2 terabyte drive. However, you don't need 256 gigs, anything over sixty should do the job. The difference between ssd and regular is that ssd doesn't have moving parts, so it's faster. For your storage you will want more than 500 total, but if you want the rest externally that is fine.

Pretty much what AF said here. And yes I use an external 2TB gigabit harddrive for all my storage.

Director
12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
As a side note. No matter what laptop you go for, I strongly suggest you use an external hard drive for all your files. So you will need one that has an RPM rate of 7,200 or higher, or, a solid state model. Also, make sure it's a RAID so you have backup capabilities.

danieljag1
01-13-2014, 11:02 PM
I currently use a 15" MacBook Pro and I couldn't be happier (unless I had the new Mac Pro of course...which is everybody on this forum.)
It is a refurbished late 2011 model with the 2.2GHz i7 processor and 8GB of RAM. I believe the last time Premiere Pro crashed on me was when I still had 4GB or RAM. Now that I have 8, I have had no problems.