PDA

View Full Version : Working with .mts video files on mac: what is the best way?

ritaku
11-11-2013, 03:19 AM
I have a sony rx100 which films in avchd 60p files (mts). I am working on a mac and macs cannot recognize this format. I tried many free video converters and I tried working with those files on Adobe Premiere and After Effects and exporting them in a different format.

But everything I've tried messed up the quality. My question is what is the best way to work with these files without damaging the quality?

Maybe it would be different if I would convert them on a pc and then edit on mac?
Any advice would help! Thank you

Nick Soares
11-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I use something called iSkySoft video converter, it has paid for itself the first time I used it (I think its $20?) But check it out and see if it converts mts files as well.

http://www.iskysoft.com/

Anonymous Filmmaker
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Can it be imported into premiere did you say?

ritaku
11-11-2013, 12:16 PM
ok thank you, I will try it!

ritaku
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Can it be imported into premiere did you say?

Yes it can, but it has a lot of noise and the quality is horrible. Even when you export it in a different format.

Anonymous Filmmaker
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes it can, but it has a lot of noise and the quality is horrible. Even when you export it in a different format.
Have you tried an uncompressed image sequence?

ritaku
11-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Have you tried an uncompressed image sequence?

No, not yet. I will try that as well. Thank you!

Also, I found a way not to convert but to rewrap it with ClipWrap. This allowed me to work with those files with Premiere. The only con is that the application is not free but the trial allows you to convert the first minute of every video. This works for me because most of my files were shorter then one minute.

Starblood
11-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Try adobe media encoder to change the format, it worked for me :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
11-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Try adobe media encoder to change the format, it worked for me :)
Premiere has many of the same capabilities. I think it is the file type you are attempting to output to.