PDA

View Full Version : New :]

sophiefilm
11-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Hello! I'm new here and thought I'd say hi :]

I have just finished Uni doing Filmmaking and I'm hoping to be a Camera Operator.

Are there any female Camera Ops here? Also a question to all operators, do you lift weights to help with operating heavy cameras?

I have rubbish arm strength and so after a half hour take with Zeiss lenses my hands are shaking more than Cloverfield. Nightmare. I'm tempted to get little weights just to improve my strength a bit. I'm on a shoot in a few weeks with a 4 grand camera which is a little daunting, so I definitely don't want to ruin the could be awesome shots by shaking!

Cheers!

Sophie

Anonymous Filmmaker
11-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the forum! You're not using any sort of rig?

sophiefilm
11-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Thank you :] Yeah I usually do but I wouldn't trust this expensive camera on my shoulder rig as it's a bit untrustworthy!

Mick Scarborough
11-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes lifting some weights will, over time, increase your strength and help you do the job better.

Director
11-09-2013, 09:00 PM
If you're going to be hand holding your camera for most of the shoot, I'm afraid lifting weights for a few weeks in advance will not be enough. You should consider a SteadiCam vest. If you can't afford to buy one, consider making one. Here's a pretty good video I found on how one guy achieved it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_87nFik8-w

sophiefilm
11-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Great, thank you!