PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Software for Macs

Awful Honesty
10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Does any body know what other video editing software is available for macs, besides Final Cut or Adobe?

Nick Soares
10-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Final Cut Express?

Awful Honesty
10-25-2013, 02:51 AM
I was looking for something more in depth than that

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-25-2013, 03:17 AM
Check out hitfilms. It is currently only pc, but will be available for macs soon. It is focused on vfx, but also has a nice editing platform.

Awful Honesty
10-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Well after much thought I opted on getting a PC w/ vegas pro.

Director
10-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Well after much thought I opted on getting a PC w/ vegas pro.

Vegas Pro is good, but the PC sucks ;)

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Vegas Pro is good, but the PC sucks ;)

What don't you like about pcs? I mean, Windows 8 isn't great, but aside from that, I think they're great.

Unregistered
10-27-2013, 01:23 PM
If you plan to edit anything related to filmmaking for a career, then I highly suggest getting used to a Mac, the stuff they have rolling out in the next few years is amazing.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 01:24 PM
If you plan to edit anything related to filmmaking for a career, then I highly suggest getting used to a Mac, the stuff they have rolling out in the next few years is amazing.
PC's are literally about 3 times cheaper for the same specs.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Who's "they?"

Nick Soares
10-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Who's "they?"

Im guessing "they" is Apple?

Director
10-27-2013, 02:04 PM
What don't you like about pcs? I mean, Windows 8 isn't great, but aside from that, I think they're great.

Unless you actually use a Mac, there are way too many benefits to list. See below reply to your other post.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Im guessing "they" is Apple?
I'm not sure, I haven't heard of anything that they're planning filmmaking-wise.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Unless you actually use a Mac, there are way too many benefits to list. See below reply to your other post.
The only one I'm aware of is a better OS. It has fewer bugs, but aside from that I don't really know of any. And there is a lot of good software available for PC's as well- probably more so than macs.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:07 PM

Yes, Mac's are more expensive, for a reason. They last longer, they hold up better, the great majority of the time you never need drivers, no pop ups saying "you're connected to the Internet", or, "New software is detected" etc. I have NEVER gotten a virus.

I have two Mac's, a new iMac, and a 9 year old G5 tower that still runs like the day I pulled it put of the box. Try getting that out of a PC. When you consider all this, Mac's are actually less expensive.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:09 PM
The only one I'm aware of is a better OS. It has fewer bugs, but aside from that I don't really know of any. And there is a lot of good software available for PC's as well- probably more so than macs.

I'm not aware of any editing programs that you can't run on an Intel Mac.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Yes, Mac's are more expensive, for a reason. They last longer, they hold up better, the great majority of the time you never need drivers, no pop ups saying "you're connected to the Internet", or, "New software is detected" etc. I have NEVER gotten a virus.

I have two Mac's, a new iMac, and a 9 year old G5 tower that still runs like the day I pulled it put of the box. Try getting that out of a PC. When you consider all this, Mac's are actually less expensive.
A good custom built pc does just about all of that. I got mine custom built from performancepc.net, and although it's relatively new (about 6 months), it still works like the day I got it. It boots up in about 30 seconds with Production Premium on it, and it was only about $2500. And I guess the pop ups have to do with the OS, I guess you have a point there :) But virus wise, buy a virus protection program for $100 or less and you're set for life.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm not aware of any editing programs that you can't run on an Intel Mac.
Well there's Vegas and Hit Film to name a few.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
A good custom built pc does just about all of that. I got mine custom built from performancepc.net, and although it's relatively new (about 6 months), it still works like the day I got it. It boots up in about 30 seconds with Production Premium on it, and it was only about $2500. And I guess the pop ups have to do with the OS, I guess you have a point there :) But virus wise, buy a virus protection program for $100 or less and you're set for life.

You could have gotten a really nice Mac for that price, but, I understand that people go with what they know.

I have found from my own personal experience that most people that prefer a PC over a Mac, have never actually used a Mac before. It takes about 3 days to get used to using one.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:20 PM
You could have gotten a really nice Mac for that price, but, I understand that people go with what they know.

Yeah, but with what specs? I got an i7 3.9ghz (no overclock) and a 690 graphics card. Also, 2 terabytes plus a 62 gig solid state.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Well there's Vegas and Hit Film to name a few.

Again, people tend to stick with what they know, and I understand that. And even though Vegas is a good editing program, but I don't think it's any better than Adobe Premiere, and especially if you're using the Adobe suite.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Again, people tend to stick with what they know, and I understand that. And even though Vegas is a good editing program, but I don't think it's any better than Adobe Premiere, and especially if you're using the Adobe suite.
Yeah, I prefer Premiere as well, but then again I don't have too much experience with others. I have tried FCP X and while it's a nice clean interface, it is limited in functionality.

Awful Honesty
10-27-2013, 02:24 PM
I love mac. My first expirience with editing was with final cut (which in my opinion is the best). However, when my macbook died on me I lost everything, and didn't have enough $$$ to buy a new one. I cant afford to put my self in that position again.

I used Vegas pro and loved it, and even more how cheap it is. I figured w vegas pro and adobe suite cloud, i will be off to a good bounceback. And if the pc craps out on me it wouldnt hurt my wallet as bad.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah, but with what specs? I got an i7 3.9ghz (no overclock) and a 690 graphics card. Also, 2 terabytes plus a 62 gig solid state.

You got some nice upgrades for sure, and the solid state is nice, but I prefer to do all my work on external hard drives, then once I'm finished with a project, I just store them.

I'm sure you're system is nice and fast, and really, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I have nothing wrong with macs; I don't dislike them, I just prefer pcs and personally think that they're a better value.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I prefer Premiere as well, but then again I don't have too much experience with others. I have tried FCP X and while it's a nice clean interface, it is limited in functionality.

FCP X is a piece of crap, sorry for saying so. But in my opinion, Final Cut dropped the ball, and all their top programmers went over to Adobe.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:32 PM
And Anonymous, I have it on pretty good authority that, when the zombie apocalypse does come, they will eat all PC users first.

Just giving you a heads up ;)

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:46 PM
And Anonymous, I have it on pretty good authority that, when the zombie apocalypse does come, they will eat all PC users first.

Just giving you a heads up ;)
Good to know. But how smart are the zombies? I could cover my pc to make it look like a mac...

See, this kind of conversation what I love about this forum. We can respectfully disagree without it turning into a name- calling match.

Nick Soares
10-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Mac > PC in the filmmaking world :)

I was a PC guy until I got my first Mac, and I was amazed at how my computer never got a virus. 12 years on a mac and I don't even know what a virus is anymore....

Director
10-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Good to know. But how smart are the zombies? I could cover my pc to make it look like a mac...

See, this kind of conversation what I love about this forum. We can respectfully disagree without it turning into a name- calling match.

I have actually met some Mac snobs that won't even talk to PC users. I never take things that seriously. Life's too short.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Life's too short.
Especially for me, due to the oncoming zombie apocalypse :)

Director
10-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Mac > PC in the filmmaking world :)

I was a PC guy until I got my first Mac, and I was amazed at how my computer never got a virus. 12 years on a mac and I don't even know what a virus is anymore....

I have a good friend that was a die hard PC user. One day his wife goes out and buys a Mac laptop, much to his chagrin. Now, you can't get the guy to even acknowledge he was once a PC fan.

Director
10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Especially for me, due to the oncoming zombie apocalypse :)

Yes, there is that.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
I have a good friend that was a die hard PC user. One day his wife goes out and buys a Mac laptop, much to his chagrin. Now, you can't get the guy to even acknowledge he was once a PC fan.
The thing with pcs is it depends who you buy it from. Some are terrible and some are great depending on the company, and so you can't really generalize.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes, there is that.
And according to Nick's post, Macs also zap your memory and brainwash you to forget terms like, "virus."

Director
10-27-2013, 03:27 PM
And according to Nick's post, Macs also zap your memory and brainwash you to forget terms like, "virus."

Virus...what's a virus?

Klay M Abele
10-28-2013, 05:40 AM
I've always used Macs at work, mostly because it's their pockets not mine. But when it comes to personally owning, I'll always go with a PC. I've built all of my comps, which saves A LOT of cash and kicks my work Macs butt. Now I still love Macs, but if you really want the power and to save money, go PC, every time. Best part about building my own, if I can easily update components and not have to buy a whole new computer down the road.

Also, Zombies will most definitely come for Mac users first, PC has all of the zombie simulators that Mac can't run. ;)

EDIT: Macs used to be the standard, but have really lost their momentum. As far as virus's, never had one on my PC. Maintain anti-virus and anti-spyware and you're fine.

Mark
10-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Ok so you guys are saying that you can build me a safer, faster computer then a new mac,? Then I will be happy to pay for one of those because my Mac's keeps slowing down on me after about a year or so and its getting expensive.

I am serious! Please show me what you guys have and if its cheaper then Ill buy it.

But if its not as fast and not as safe, then your souls are mine.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Ok so you guys are saying that you can build me a safer, faster computer then a new mac,? Then I will be happy to pay for one of those because my Mac's keeps slowing down on me after about a year or so and its getting expensive.

I am serious! Please show me what you guys have and if its cheaper then Ill buy it.

But if its not as fast and not as safe, then your souls are mine.

Check out performancepc.net. I got mine from there. After a minute on the phone do to a wire knocked loose in the shipping (not their fault,) mine works amazing. The thing I like about them is that they don't pre-install programs that aren't completely neccesary and their waranty continues even if you upgrade. Also, it comes with extra parts so if you want to upgrade, you fit them in and it works, but aside from that it's plug and play because they have tested them and made sure that they're stable before they ship. Aside from the loose wire, I had a great experience with them. But if for some reason it doesn't work, consume their souls and not mine :)

Director
10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Also, Zombies will most definitely come for Mac users first, PC has all of the zombie simulators that Mac can't run. ;)

Oh my God, that is so not true. 9 out of 10 Zombiologist agree that PC users will be the first ones to be eaten, and here's why. PC users tend to have a sour, salty flavor to them, much like rotting milk passed through the bowels of an old sick woman, that Zombies just love. Furthermore, PC users are slow, as they have to gather up so much equipment, they can't get away in time. A Mac user just grabs his entire unit under one arm and hauls ass.

Klay M Abele
10-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Keep telling yourself that Director ;)

And Mark, I'm building a new PC here in the next month, "bare-bone." Ordering from NewEgg.com. Its actually fairly simple to build a PC, NewEgg even does a three part tutorial on how to build a PC. I love doing it because I get to choose everything that I want in my PC, and when upgrading comes, it's all component based, so it fits my future needs as well.

Here is episode 1 NewEggTV did. They are very thorough as well so anyone can follow along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Aaron Jones
10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
For experience in general use I will have to go PC all the way. Maybe if the editing software that was made for mac that was not available for PC there may be a case. At this point the major one is FCP. I have learned to use Adobe suite and it is my go to software because I have it all. It is all inclusive. With the resources that can be gained from a PC and matching prices of a Mac Pro to a Custom PC hands down PC all the way. Now if you are a Mac die hard through and through then of course Mac is going to be your way. When it comes to upgrading, changing configurations to meet other needs PC is the way. There was a time when PC did not have the software that Mac had for designing and different things and Mac was a industry standard because of the software that was made for Mac, but even then it was a dying breed a little while back. there was not enough designers and editors back then to keep them afloat. So what did they do to appeal to people? They came out with different colors to attract more consumers. My point is that Mac was the truth when the comparative powerful software was just for Mac exclusively. Now software giants wants to expand there probability of sales and increase their sales margin and low and behold PC rose up because the ease of configuration and price for the same resources and better in a lot of cases because of the lower cost... I know I'm going to get jumped on for this but there is my little two cents anyway. IF you notice Apple is now trying it again with the cool new revolutionary look of the new Mac Pro.

Klay M Abele
10-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Relevant. Sort of. Warning: Expletives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0

smileatnight
02-07-2014, 09:40 AM

There is a bit of an Apple tax, but I think this is more than a little bit of hyperbole. Apple doesn't compete in the emachine, plastic, bargain basement category. You won't find a new Mac for 300 bucks. But when you compare a higher quality PC vs a higher quality mac, the prices are usually fairly comparable.

Klay M Abele
02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
There is a bit of an Apple tax, but I think this is more than a little bit of hyperbole. Apple doesn't compete in the emachine, plastic, bargain basement category. You won't find a new Mac for 300 bucks. But when you compare a higher quality PC vs a higher quality mac, the prices are usually fairly comparable.

I'm going to have to disagree, show me a Mac and I'll build a equal PC for a fraction. If you think you couldn't build a PC, it is MUCH easier than you think. You also then have the ability to upgrade as you go, instead of buying a new Mac down the road.

whisk25
02-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Check out hitfilms. It is currently only pc, but will be available for macs soon. It is focused on vfx, but also has a nice editing platform.
It's available on mac! I have Hitfilm 2 Express for the mac at the moment!

Littlemonkey
02-15-2014, 05:01 AM
Can I just say that Mac & PC both have good and bad points and are both good and bad in different ways.
If you want something free there's some 3D animation software which has a good video editor on it. It's called Blender (http://www.blender.org/).
Here's a tutorial if you want to check it out. It's free and open source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYVZ6rtayaA

khathawayart
03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
A zombie stole my mac. Dammit!

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com