PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get movie makers noticed

Awful Honesty
10-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Hello everybody:

As a fellow filmmaker I know how hard it is to get some type recognition for movies. I decided to start a show to review independent you tube short movies. I need subscribers so I can get more feedback on how to make things better. Please check it out and subscribe. Any feedback is good. Look for Awful Honesty channel on you tube.

Jimmy
10-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Can you post a youtube video?

VTLithyouvong
10-20-2013, 11:24 PM
On your youtube page, do you critique bad films only or do you applaud good ones as well?

Awful Honesty
10-21-2013, 03:10 AM
We are trying still to find the show's voice. We are going to start bringing good movies in the next episode. Also we are currently working on grading system.

Starblood
10-21-2013, 04:20 AM
It really all depends on what you want to be noticed with. When you are doing youtube shorts now where you are reviewing shorts, you will just be known as a commentator. as a filmmaker it is really hard to get noticed. but something i have done with where i am from is that you just have to make shorts, post them on your facebook or twitter and let everyone from your district see them. They now connect you to film making. If their father's father need to make a film at a grocerystore now, their kids know you do filming. So its all about promoting yourself in the right way. show that this is your passion, and give 110% all the time. If you know there is a concert in town, go ask them if you can make a video about the concert, if your any good they might like you and they will hire you in for different concerts. So if your trying to get noticed as a film maker, i don't really think reviewing shorts is the best way. But this is just my opinion though. sorry for the bad english, im from norway :)

/Anders

Awful Honesty
10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
More than a filmmaker I want to focus on video editing. The reason for the show is so I can practice, it's been a three years since I graduated film school, and want to get in touch with the film biz

Starblood
10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
ok, so i just saw episode one. Its alot to work with, but you need to go more indepth with the videoes. and try not to curse so much, make more jokes and have a nicer layout for the "frame" with the video in. it took alot of focus from me. but maybe its just me. Try to get maybe a label mic to just click in your camera and the sound will be alot better. remember that sound is 60% and video 40%. you can live with watching a bad movie with good sound but not vise versa.

/Anders

Awful Honesty
10-21-2013, 10:32 AM
We toned down the cursing, as for content we are going to do one movie per episode, so we can go in deph. Check out EP2 some of the problems were fixed, but still needs a lot of work.

I currently work for the army so I have little to no time to work on the show. Also I am currently using a free editing software I got from the web.

I appreciate the feed back.

Starblood
10-21-2013, 11:00 AM
We toned down the cursing, as for content we are going to do one movie per episode, so we can go in deph. Check out EP2 some of the problems were fixed, but still needs a lot of work.

I currently work for the army so I have little to no time to work on the show. Also I am currently using a free editing software I got from the web.

I appreciate the feed back.

Hi again,

Good, toning down the cursing made it more friendly and more serious to watch. it gets better step by step that's the important part. The free editing software explains alot of the "graphics", but i would highly recommend to try and get a better editing software if you want to get into this. You say that you are working in the army? that awesome! maybe you could try and hear with the people over there if you could make anything army-related? My friend is in the army and he loves movies. He is working in the army as a movie maker now, just because he asked. but again, the important part is that you're getting better and better.

/Anders

VTLithyouvong
10-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I am currently using a free editing software I got from the web.

You should try Movie Studio Platinum Suite. That's what I use. It's pretty affordable, like around $129.99. It's the sister software of Sony Vegas. Very user friendly.

EricTheMan
10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
You should try Movie Studio Platinum Suite. That's what I use. It's pretty affordable, like around $129.99. It's the sister software of Sony Vegas. Very user friendly.

I have that as well, just got it about a month ago. Still learning the basics, but I would give it a thumbs up

Awful Honesty
10-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I tried Sony vegas and loved it. However Im stuck in between getting a mac or vegas pro.
The lap top I have is good but I need somthing more powerful. The only thing is I dont want cough up $1400 for final cut.

VTLithyouvong
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I build my own desktop with the sole purpose of video editing only. Only cost me $1400 and it's really fast and totally worth it.

Awful Honesty
10-21-2013, 03:49 PM
I appreciate all of you guy's advice. I'm eager to get back to the Industry after 4 long years. Even though the show has not been what I wanted it to be, I'm glad to be doing something film related

Mick Scarborough
10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah I dont like the channel. It seems the entire concept is just bashing other peoples work. Thats pretty crappy especially when you have no work of your own to show as an example of how to do things right. I will be steering clear of this train wreck and focusing my energies on learning the craft, not undermining others.

Awful Honesty
10-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah I dont like the channel. It seems the entire concept is just bashing other peoples work. Thats pretty crappy especially when you have no work of your own to show as an example of how to do things right. I will be steering clear of this train wreck and focusing my energies on learning the craft, not undermining others.

Your absolutely right about me not having anywork done (at least none that I would dare publish on you tube). Reality is that people post these movies on you tube and simply fade away in to the you tube black hole. I have watched these movies many many times before I consider to put my time and energy to review them. In any case I respect them more than anybody else.

I know how attached filmmakers get to their projects, and I think thats the main problem when it comes to when they release their movies. They only see their effort and not the project as a whole. A little feedback before public release is never a bad idea.

Point and case, my channel since I started it hasn't had nothing but psychotic comments since the beginning. Instead of defending it, im changing it to focus more on what film makers get right. I think filmmakers should learn to accept some criticism. It sharpens them up, and makes them better artist. Trust me, in the military they dont kindly let you know what your mistakes are. They let you know what your faults are in the worst, degrading, insulting, manner possible so you will never do them again.

Mark
10-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Been following this topic, but are you ever going to post a video? I cannot find what Mick is referencing to...

VTLithyouvong
10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I think filmmakers should learn to accept some criticism. It sharpens them up, and makes them better artist. Trust me, in the military they dont kindly let you know what your mistakes are. They let you know what your faults are in the worst, degrading, insulting, manner possible so you will never do them again.

I do agree with accepting criticism but it should be constructive. I know some films/shorts out there that are extremely done well and not so well and everyone has the right to their opinions but it's all about how you express those opinions. It could be good or bad opinions but express it professionally.

I am in the military myself, active duty in the United States Navy, going on 14 years now. I'm a firm believer of, "Praise in public, counsel in private." I will never degrade or insult anyone. We all make mistakes and we learn from it, we're all human.

Well, what I'm trying to point out is, it should be done in a professional manner on how you critique other films/shorts if you don't want any more psychotic comments on your Youtube Page.

Awful Honesty
10-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Been following this topic, but are you ever going to post a video? I cannot find what Mick is referencing to...

Search Awful Honesty in channels

Awful Honesty
10-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Here is the thing. If I were to talk about Hollywood movies I would be getting more likes. There is something about independent films that any bad criticism is shunned upon. Have any of you taken the time to watch the movies I've reviewed? It seems people just watch the show and assume that I'm being a complete prick.

Mick Scarborough
10-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Its not the movies. The movies could be total crap but thats not even relevent. Its you bro. You even started Ep 1 saying you are going to bash the sh** out of films. Not critique, not analyze, not review. BASH. Thats infantile at its core and as your thumb ratings show, plain bad business. A more useful and constructive method would be to point out both good and bad aspects of the film and how to acheive the good and avoid the bad. The talented people of this excellent forum then learn how to improve their craft instead of wasting their time watching a useless negative bashing.

EricTheMan
10-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Ok I found one - And after watching it, I though of you when I posted this topic. Check it out

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/youtube/3053-professional-looking-youtube-videos-how-to.html

VTLithyouvong
10-22-2013, 09:29 AM
A more useful and constructive method would be to point out both good and bad aspects of the film and how to acheive the good and avoid the bad. The talented people of this excellent forum then learn how to improve their craft instead of wasting their time watching a useless negative bashing.

I agree with Mick. It's all in the presentation; what you say, how you say it. Professionalism is the key word. Films/Shorts/Music Videos are constantly being critiqued everyday, it's just part of the industry. The finished product cannot satisfy everyone's expectations but we as filmmakers learn everyday and we take those constructive criticism and apply them to our future projects.

Awful Honesty
10-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I will take what I can from you guy's advice. However EP3 is already done. Its not as bad as the first two, but I do kindda rant on one of the pics. EP4 should be a hella lot more sharp. I like that you guys give me feedback from the filmmaker's perspective. Keep the comments coming, and let me know it there is a short (good or bad) worth watchig

Awful Honesty
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Ok I found one - And after watching it, I though of you when I posted this topic. Check it out

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/youtube/3053-professional-looking-youtube-videos-how-to.html

Loved this link. Def makin ref to it in a future show. Thanks

Awful Honesty
10-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Alright here is EP3. Like I said, by the time I got you guy's feed back the show was already shot. I some what better, than the others (less bashing, more support). So let me know what you think.
http://youtu.be/-xDYtCB2QQ4

Awful Honesty
11-01-2013, 09:11 PM
New Episode Enjoy

http://youtu.be/hFzMBP9kWao

ericNCwriter
11-02-2013, 11:38 PM
OK, I just saw this thread, read through the comments and watched Episodes 3 and 4 (yes, I'm too lazy right now to go search for the first two). I have a few observations and points of advice that may help you.

First, in your original post, you stated that you are trying to help filmmakers get recognition for their shorts. The Hollywood adage of "Bad press is still press" doesn't quite cut it in this instance, although I guess it MIGHT encourage a few people to go watch the shorts, just out of curiosity. What I think would be more effective is to find shorts where you can say positive things and encourage your viewers to check out the videos you review, if in fact you actually want to help these filmmakers get recognition. If you just want to bash on crappy YT vids, then do so... just don't veil it under the guise of "helping" anyone.

If you seek to give constructive criticism, a widely accepted method of performance review that is utilized in many sectors is to combine positives and negatives. Start with a positive comment, an "attaboy" if you will. Then delve into the negatives. End with another feel-good positive. You may completely trash someone, but at least in the end you give them a little pat on the back and it tends to take away some of the sting.

Here's an example of what I just described. Your intent, if it is to help promote independent filmmakers, is noble, even if your delivery leaves something to be desired. You sound good, though you might want to slow down a tad and enunciate a bit more clearly. I would suggest a graphic in the upper left hand corner when you introduce each film that at the least shows the name of the short and possibly even the filmmaker's name. I had a little trouble catching the titles as you said them and a lot of adults are visual, so they'd appreciate seeing the names. Your eye contact with the viewer is good, but you might want to tone down some of the facial expressions. In Episode 3, the lighting wasn't very good. You had a shadow on the wall behind you and your eyes were in shadow as well. It doesn't exude dark and mysterious... it's more like creepy and sinister. It was a bit better in #4, but you might still want to play with lighting angles or add more light so you get full coverage. Everything is definitely improving and you seem to be open to advice. Find a few films you can speak highly of and you might have a winner.

See how that goes? Pretty cool, huh?

The Camera Man
11-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Bare in mind, YouTube reviews primarily seem to be quite negative recently, and it works for the creators. The Nostalgia Critic and The Angry Joe Show are examples on this - they get their publicity from negativity on mainstream media. I can see where the inspiration is, but as stated above many times, it's a different scenario with independent short films.

Awful Honesty
11-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Thank you for the feedback. We're hard at work trying to make the right changes to please the filmaker comunity and also a general audience. I know that Im not the most articulated person in the world (I'm puertorican, so english is my second language).
I know the things I say aren't the most inspiring but it gets non filmakers intrested in the films. And in EP4 I even made it easier for viewers to get to the films by linking them to the tittles in the end of the episode.

I have the outmost respect for the filmakers that have published their videos on YouTube good or bad. It takes dedication and great motivation to make a short w/ little to no budget. However there is no support or dedicated groups that help bring these films to light.

I like the idea of finishing off the critique with a positive note. However I am convinced the appeal to be harsh brings in viewers that have no intrest in low budget indie films. I went to filmschool my self, and was highly disappointed on how the industry is ran. It has little opportunity for a struggling director to get noticed.

So the show is still a work in progress. I appreciate everybodys feedback.

Awful Honesty
11-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Oh and stay away from EP1 & 2

The Camera Man
11-03-2013, 08:30 AM
It's good that you're learning from criticism, a lot of people would probably dismiss any negative review on their work and ignore it. Good luck!