PDA

View Full Version : Color Correction - Aesthetic or Technical Issue?

payperfilm
10-18-2013, 07:35 AM
I've reached the color correction part of my editing my film. Frankly, it seems fine
to me in terms of color but some one told me it needed to be color corrected. Is
color correction an artistic choice or technical issue? I just watched a video of
before and after footage that was color corrected and thought the before looked better.

Any thoughts?

Klay M Abele
10-18-2013, 08:06 AM
You're talking about Color Grading right? as Color Correction is more technical and refers to white balancing and skin tones.

Mick Scarborough
10-18-2013, 08:08 AM
take a 10 second clip and colour correct it. then post that clip along side the uncorrected clip and see what others think. Its your film and your vision but sometimes another set of neutral eyes can really help you see.

If you mean colour grading then do what you think looks best but realize colour grading is an important step as it sets the mood of the film.

payperfilm
10-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys! I think I have my head wrapped around the concepts now.

Jimmy
10-18-2013, 09:00 AM
You're talking about Color Grading right? as Color Correction is more technical and refers to white balancing and skin tones.

Huh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-18-2013, 11:33 AM
It depends on the footage. Can you post a sample, even a still or something so we get the general idea of the color?

VTLithyouvong
10-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Color grading and color correction....it all depends what you're going for. In my opinion, I believe it should be corrected somewhat. For me, I shoot everything flat. I tune down saturation, contrast, and sharpness down so when it goes to post, and have a wider range of adjustment. If I leave it flat, it just doesn't look good.

So try this: in your camera, contrast and sharpness all the way down and saturation half way down.