PDA

View Full Version : Walking on Ceiling

tophilis
10-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey guys

this is my first post. i am in the middle of shooting a low budget horror movie which is about exorcism. In one of the scenes, the possessed crawls up the wall and to the ceiling. now i don't want to use CG to make this. At the same time when doing it practically, imagine she is crawling on the floor which is set up like the ceiling, how do i get her hair, chain, dress to hang in the other the direction(like if you are actually walking on the ceiling).

i don't want to make her cut her hair or make her wear body hugging clothes to avoid the above.

even if you have a completely different approach to shooting this, they are welcome as well.

thanks

Nick Soares
10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Im no VFX expert but I think you have two options -

Do the CGI or create a very expensive rid to somehow accomplish what you want.

This is a case of "You can't have your cake and eat it to"

If its not easy to do, it will be expensive.

Klay M Abele
10-17-2013, 11:10 AM
The only practical way of doing this without wire rigging is to place the camera high pointed down at a green floor, using wire from clothes hangers rig her dress so that it looks like its falling toward the camera. For her hair... lots of hair spray/maybe use the wire hangers as well as a base for the hair. It won't be easy, but other than creating CGI or suspending the actress somehow with wires there aren't very many other options.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-17-2013, 11:42 AM
The only practical way of doing this without wire rigging is to place the camera high pointed down at a green floor, using wire from clothes hangers rig her dress so that it looks like its falling toward the camera. For her hair... lots of hair spray/maybe use the wire hangers as well as a base for the hair. It won't be easy, but other than creating CGI or suspending the actress somehow with wires there aren't very many other options.

My suggestion was going to be similar to this. Get a large green screen, and have her acting walking up on it. Then, get a jib and dolley or something, preferably motion controlled, and shoot her on the green screen with the camera moving to make it look like she's crossing on to the ceiling. Then, get the same shot to use as a back plate. This may be too expensive, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Mick Scarborough
10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
A top ten rule for indie filmmakers on an ultralow or non-existent budget is only shoot what you have the technology, skill and cash to do. That means no films about ancient greece, 1930s new york or gravity defying demon chicks. You may want to reconsider that shot and do something more in line with your budget and still have a wow factor.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
If she's just walking up a wall, use one of the oldest tricks in the book, filming it sideways.

Klay M Abele
10-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Just choose your angles right and you can still achieve it. Explore your set.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-17-2013, 01:32 PM
This is a case of "You can't have your cake and eat it to"

That's good advice in general. I'm going to add that to the quick tips thread!

tophilis
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
i kind of got an idea from watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX86naRDPkM
that rig which is pulling him to the wall and raising him up, i think ill use that to crawl on the ceiling with the rig connected to her at the stomach.

and for climbing up the wall, il just hang her from the top using a rope and make her look like she is climbing up. and clear the rope in post.

i think it would work better for me than trying to make her crawl on the floor and make her hair, chain, etc. defy gravity.

what do you guys think?