PDA

View Full Version : Approaching distributors

Christopher Dye
10-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Just wondering the best way to approach distributors with a completed feature film. What to do. What not to do. Costs involved, etc.

I'd love to hear 'success' stories as well as 'horror' stories of those who have already went down the distribution road. The more detail the better.

I've never got this far with a film and I was just curious how others went about it.

Best Answer:

First you want to go to their website and read there acquisition or submission process.

Once you have done that, then simple follow the instructions and give it 3-4 weeks to hear back.

If they are interested they will get back to you, if not they simply will most likely ignore you (but don't take offense to that)

Sometimes if you haven't heard back then go ahead and contact them via email, if still no response then call them. (For those that need to hear them say "No")

That is pretty much it in a nutshell

Nick Soares
10-16-2013, 02:26 PM
First you want to go to their website and read there acquisition or submission process.

Once you have done that, then simple follow the instructions and give it 3-4 weeks to hear back.

If they are interested they will get back to you, if not they simply will most likely ignore you (but don't take offense to that)

Sometimes if you haven't heard back then go ahead and contact them via email, if still no response then call them. (For those that need to hear them say "No")

That is pretty much it in a nutshell

Christopher Dye
10-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks, Nick. I assume this is not how you approach the larger distributors like Lions Gate.

Nick Soares
10-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks, Nick. I assume this is not how you approach the larger distributors like Lions Gate.

That is correct, Lions Gate does not accept unsolicited material of any kind. The only way to get your film seen by them is through someone and some company that has worked with them in the past.

Bongokillerclown
10-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Ive made 6 features, One, got picked up as soon as I presented it to a company. I was promised reports every 6 months, regular royalty checks and updates etc.After almost 2 years and no $$ or reports I started writing threatening emails to the company. I got a check for $200-. Then more time goes by and Im seeing my film for sale all over, seeing it streaming on every media, on pay per view, cable stations and I have not heard from them. I demand my rights back and they pretty much ignore me so I write the Attorney General of the state they are based in as well as consumer affairs and better business bureau with complaints. They respond on demand to the AG's inquiry with a long letter of defense thats pure BS! I have still not gotten back my film at this point even though it was supposed to be given back then. I have to wait 6 months before it comes with a termination contract. Then it states that these sleezy operators went to the Russian and Asian markets and sold the rights!!!! I can't get an attorney to pursue since its another state and it would be costly. They are a BIG operation and I notice they prey on local film festivals for films. They sell films in bundles, change company names and just keep raking in thousands while you the filmmaker gets screwed. BE WARY of all deals and get an attorney up front! Im still angry as hell over it and if I ever see that sleeze in person, he best beware!

Nick Soares
10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Ive made 6 features, One, got picked up as soon as I presented it to a company. I was promised reports every 6 months, regular royalty checks and updates etc.After almost 2 years and no $$ or reports I started writing threatening emails to the company. I got a check for $200-. Then more time goes by and Im seeing my film for sale all over, seeing it streaming on every media, on pay per view, cable stations and I have not heard from them. I demand my rights back and they pretty much ignore me so I write the Attorney General of the state they are based in as well as consumer affairs and better business bureau with complaints. They respond on demand to the AG's inquiry with a long letter of defense thats pure BS! I have still not gotten back my film at this point even though it was supposed to be given back then. I have to wait 6 months before it comes with a termination contract. Then it states that these sleezy operators went to the Russian and Asian markets and sold the rights!!!! I can't get an attorney to pursue since its another state and it would be costly. They are a BIG operation and I notice they prey on local film festivals for films. They sell films in bundles, change company names and just keep raking in thousands while you the filmmaker gets screwed. BE WARY of all deals and get an attorney up front! Im still angry as hell over it and if I ever see that sleeze in person, he best beware!

What was the company? Maybe we can make a BlackList of distributors for filmmakers :)

mara
10-27-2013, 04:56 PM
I think that's a good idea, Nick.

Zen 786
10-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Please do it Nick so that other producers are saved the trouble Bongokillerclown went through