PDA

View Full Version : using a reflector for outdoor interviews

alexyap
10-16-2013, 11:39 AM
would a reflector do fine for what i plan on doing? or would i need to get a scrim?

Nick Soares
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Well it depends,

is it going to be sunny?

Do you have C stands?

Do you have access to HMI's?

It also will depend on your camera and how well it can contracts the harsh shadows from the sun (if shot outside)

Or will you be shooting in a shaded area?

alexyap
10-16-2013, 04:20 PM
it will be sunny of course. i was assuming reflectors were strictly for photography before this posting since someone would have to hold it in place as i film which would be impractical for video since the person holding it couldn't possibly keep it still for too long which will most likely result to the gradual changing of the light on the subject.

i would like to revise my question to are there stands for reflectors? i plan to use as much ambient light as i could for the main reason of not to cause a fuss since i am pretty sure a lighting set up will attract too many onlookers when i film outdoors.

Nick Soares
10-16-2013, 04:34 PM
it will be sunny of course. i was assuming reflectors were strictly for photography before this posting since someone would have to hold it in place as i film which would be impractical for video since the person holding it couldn't possibly keep it still for too long which will most likely result to the gradual changing of the light on the subject.

i would like to revise my question to are there stands for reflectors? i plan to use as much ambient light as i could for the main reason of not to cause a fuss since i am pretty sure a lighting set up will attract too many onlookers when i film outdoors.

Reflectors are for both film and photos, as far as the reflector question you can use anything you want to create a stand for it, and yes they do make stands for things like this. Normally a C stand and platypus grip would do but I am guessing that that is not an option so just use what you can.

Anonymous Filmmaker
10-16-2013, 04:37 PM
You don't even need a stand, just get something to prop it up on where you want it as Nick implied.

alexyap
10-16-2013, 04:56 PM
alright, thanks!