PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a writer

roninfilmer
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I am planning on hiring a writer for another feature my friends and I are going to produce for next summer. Lets say we pay him for the job, and give him credit as the writer. Is there a contract that protects me from the writer trying to get more money if I sell the feature even though we have paid the writer for his work?

Ruben
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi, Roninfilmer:

There's no great mystery to it. A clause in the contract sets out the writer's compensation. "in full and final settlement" of the transaction. It can be double-locked, with wording to the effect that the writer waives all further "consideration", but ... that's it!

roninfilmer
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks alot Ruben. You wouldn't happen to know a website that has this contract available?

Ruben
02-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi.

No, sorry. Wish i did!

Nick Soares
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Im sure you can find one online, if you have to pay, DONT, - You might as well get a pro membership here and get it from the download section (i think the pro is 3 or 5 bucks for the month) - Ill do some searching for you soon

rdhay
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
One of these guys should work, right?

Contracts and Compensation (http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=1027)

HTH:)

Nick Soares
02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
I can write you one up if you want, very clear and professional. You need to be very careful with long contracts

roninfilmer
02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow this is the most helpful forum Ive ever been to. Haha I appreciate it Nick, but I don't want to waste your time like that. I know you are busy. The contract link above from rdhay should do the trick. Thanks for everyone's assistance!