PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Line Producer

HeadlessHorseman
10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Putting together my first feature (although I am a 10 year TV vet). Everything is done, along with a business plan, also have a tentative budget and schedule, website, marketing collateral, etc. I have a known actor currently reading the script. Going to AFM in November to network and talk with sales agents to find out what kind of package I will need to assemble to justify my budget, in order to get presales, to start the financing wagon moving forward.

My next order of business is to find a strong Line Producer to help move things forward. Since I already have the initial budget and schedule, guess I am looking to go to the next level and get the wheels rolling, explore the most beneficial tax-incentive state to shoot in, etc. I know an LP is the foundation of an indie feature and top on my priority list. So, anyone know a good avenue to find an experienced line producer?

Of course the conundrum is Iím still in the pre-finance/packaging stage, so it would be a deferred or low pay kinda thing until progress is made. Iím hesitant to post on a job website for that reason. And of course craigslist is out of the question. Any advice?

Nick Soares
10-11-2013, 11:13 AM
If you are still in the pre-finance phase then why are you assuming it will be a deferred/low-pay film?

I know some amazing line producers, but to find a strong line producer that would work for deferred payments nowadays will be very very difficult. Though you never know, there might be some new blood coming up that are hungry for a credit.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions.

HeadlessHorseman
10-11-2013, 11:19 AM
It is not a deferred/low-pay film. I was simply referring to the fact that it is the time before financing is in place, so the ability to pay someone is deferred until financing is raised.

Nick Soares
10-11-2013, 11:26 AM
It is not a deferred/low-pay film. I was simply referring to the fact that it is the time before financing is in place, so the ability to pay someone is deferred until financing is raised.

Awww, sweet. Steve Fromkin (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1072901/) is a fabulous line producer, I know he is really busy with his new graphics company but if you want someone good, I can vouch for him.

HeadlessHorseman
10-11-2013, 11:26 AM
It is a fully paid position. As is every position that is budgeted for. There is NOTHING in the project that is expected in-kind.

In fact it is even built into the budget to offer the LP a Co-Producer or Producer credit and pay for deferring at an early stage. I just don't know any feature/indie LP's So my question, in a round about way, was resources on finding someone that I can talk to, appeal to and try to convince to join at an early stage (pre-financing) to help move things forward, etc. With the benefit of being paid in full when the financing is secured.

HeadlessHorseman
10-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Sorry Nick, guess I was still typing a reply when you responded. Didn't see that until I posted...