PDA

View Full Version : Which camera to use for a feature film.

Zen 786
09-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi all,
Which camera should I use for feature film to be made on a very tight budget, using found footage? Please guide. Thanks

Anonymous Filmmaker
09-25-2013, 03:30 AM
How much for the camera?

Klay M Abele
09-25-2013, 04:53 AM
For found footage, just make sure the camera has some sort of stabilization feature built in. That would be a big plus and easier on the eyes of the viewer.

Zen 786
09-30-2013, 01:28 AM
please let me know which camera has built in stabilizing features.

Anonymous Filmmaker
09-30-2013, 03:30 AM
The sony alpha series does. I have an A57 and i really like it.

Klay M Abele
09-30-2013, 09:25 AM
There are a few lenses for DSLRs that have IS built in them. Many Pro-sumer cameras have built in IS features, probably none that are at the low end spectrum, so DSLR would most likely be what you need. My kit lens from my 60D package came with built in IS, 18-135mm. Granted its not a fast lens, so low light is not one of its strengths.

AF might know more in the Sony dept. I'm solely a canon guy.

itarumaa
02-27-2014, 10:18 PM
I used Canon 550d and Sigma Zoom objective, no stabilizer tough but I never moved the camera in the shot, so it did not matter.

I think the camera will not save you if audio quality is awful, so I definitely would advice to think about the audio as well.

Charli
03-23-2014, 04:09 PM
I agree with itarumaa. You could have the best camera in the world but unless you invest in good sound it will kill your production. Consider a microphone that will work well both indoors and outdoors like the Octavia. You can rent a camera and rent microphones depending upon how long their production is so that you don't have to put out a lot of cash for equipment that you may not like later.

filmmaker6563
03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Depends on the film you are trying to make. No clear answer can be given without more information on the budget, shooting style, genre, size of cast and crew, and look you are going for. A Go-Pro is much finer than a 35mm Panavision cam... if you're shooting actions scenes in tight locations on a tight budget. A 35mm Panavision cam is much finer than a Go-Pro if you have a decent budget, space to put the gear in, and time to learn the craft of shooting 35 (or the money to hire someone who already has that experience). Or perhaps at some point you want a gritty, old, depressing look, with sharp imagery... perhaps an SD camcorder like Danny Boyle used for 28 Days Later. There's really no definite answer.

First off, identify what kind of film you are making, the look you are going for, how you are going to shoot your film. Then choose which camera best suits the criteria that must be met to be a camera capable of shooting your film. Choose that camera. But remember, a good camera isn't going to bring your film to life. Know how to use your camera to it's greatest potential, learning which angles and shots must be used the create the most fulfilling experience for the viewer, shots that evoke emotions and create a foundation that supports the important story you are trying to communicate to your audience, assuming you have one in mind. Trust me, more pixels are great, but they certainly aren't what make a film. The people that work that camera capture the visual beauty of the film.

Also, do you have the other aspects of the film covered? Do you have a plan for audio, lighting, additional camera accessories, lenses, crew to operate the gear you will be using, post work, and well... money and a plan for distribution?

MakefilmsOrDie
04-11-2014, 10:47 AM
You could have the best camera in the world but it doesn't mean it's going to fit your style. Let's have some more details about the project...

Littlemonkey
04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
I use a Sony a77 and that's got good image stabilization features on it. I just shot a little short film mostly hand held but there was very little camera shake when I'd finished. I'm not even sure I used a lens with image stabilization features. But anyway the Sony alpha series is quite good and I would recommend getting one if you can.

Oh and a little bit of advice for a feature film, buy lots of SD cards and not ones higher than 16GB - trust me it's easier for organising.

filmmack81
12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
The actual model you use to shoot a film is subjective and depends on the content of your film, creative descisions and your production needs. Are you going to be shooting in a deep forest or low light? If so, you'll need a camera such as the Sony A7s, which is excellent with low light.

Is your film going to be shot very quickly with a lot of "run and gun" footage needed? If so, features such as image stabilization will be critical. I suggest using a video camera such as the Panasonic HMC150, which also gives you the option to capture 2 tracks of audio.