PDA

View Full Version : Using the SCP universe as the framing device

Patrick Wiley
09-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Here's an idea I've had for the framing device of this story.

The SCP universe is a creative commons based wiki. It's all about the SCP organization a Men in Black type secret organization which is tasked with finding, securing and maintaining things which should not exist. These objects, entities, life forms and even people are refereed to as SCPs. All in some way or other violate the laws of known physics in ways which are not understood.

You can read up on it here:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/site-rules

In many cases these SCPs are extremely dangerous and can be quite terrifying. When dealing with dangerous SCPs special "D class operatives" are used. These operatives are recruited from prisoners who are condemned or serving life sentences.

Our story will begin with a D Class operative in a secure SCP organization facility. He is locked in a room ordered to read case files of various SCPs. Each of these can be its own story assigned to a different writer and animator with pretty much total freedom. The final one will need to feature an incredibly dangerous and mysterious SCP. When the final story ends the class D operative puts the last file down. Then the entity from the final story appears. The Class D tries to flee, pounding on the door begging to be let out. The SCP entity then kills him and disappears. A high ranking operative then walks in and collects the case file. It turns out he was reading the case files in order to find one which concerns a "mimetic threat SCP" an entity that can kill anyone who knows the details of its existence. The operative puts a warning label on the file and places it in a locked container.

Klay M Abele
09-25-2013, 04:49 AM
It's funny you mention SCP as this fall I was about to shoot a short based on a particular SCP entry.

I love that site and a lot of those entries are really creepy. Just remember what ever you create can be stolen and manipulated, as the license on that site allows derivatives. So I would stick to a short if your story off of any SCP idea, as you won't see much return.

Klay M Abele
09-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Then again, just don't mention anything SCP and you're good, haha. You can always just alter the names.

Patrick Wiley
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM
It's funny you mention SCP as this fall I was about to shoot a short based on a particular SCP entry.

I love that site and a lot of those entries are really creepy. Just remember what ever you create can be stolen and manipulated, as the license on that site allows derivatives. So I would stick to a short if your story off of any SCP idea, as you won't see much return.

I don't think a creative commons license retroactively causes any works which use the creative commons material to become creative commons themselves.

While the things we derive from the SCP site remain creative commons and are open to other people to make derivatives our own film remains our intellectual property. Even if we added any original SCPs to the site the film itself would still be ours.

OffMindEnt
09-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't think a creative commons license retroactively causes any works which use the creative commons material to become creative commons themselves.

While the things we derive from the SCP site remain creative commons and are open to other people to make derivatives our own film remains our intellectual property. Even if we added any original SCPs to the site the film itself would still be ours.

From the Creative Commons license from the SCP site:

"You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
to Remix — to adapt the work
to make commercial use of the work "

"Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one. "

If I have understood that correctly, you may take stuff from the wiki, alter it, remix it etc. and you can sell it and make money off of it, but the content you create must also be licensed under the same Creative Commons license.

So you can make money off of it, but you also must make it available under the same Creative Commons license, meaning that people would have every right to not pay for the content either.

Seems like a fair deal to me, if that is in fact what it means.

Patrick Wiley
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
It's a little vague. What does it mean by "similar"?

If hypothetically someone made a feature film could they say it's a "similar" license in that its open for derivative works and remixes but they don't allow people to simply copy the work and download it? The term "creative commons" suggests it's open to be shared for the sake of new creative works. If there's no such distinction what's the difference between Creative Commons and Public Domain?

Klay M Abele
09-26-2013, 05:01 AM
I've already talked with the admins on the site and confirmed that what you create falls under the same license as any of the content on the site. Here's a link to the licensing terms.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/licensing-guide

Patrick Wiley
09-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Alright that does clear up their policy, but this does leave me wondering what the difference between creative commons and public domain is.

Anyway, for unrelated reasons I'm feeling more inclined towards the other idea I brought up on this thread http://www.filmmakerforum.org/lets-make-film/2914-ive-got-good-idea-animation.html