PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the RED Scarlet camera?

OrganicPoetTree
09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I am potentially saving up to purchase this camera. The Scarlet by RED. I won't have this money until the summer and because it is such a huge investment for me I'd really love some honest feedback from people about whatever you have heard about this camera or better yet if you have used it. I'm more interested in making music videos than anything but eventually I will get into short film. I did one music video with a canon vixia camera (obviously cheap) www.organicpoettree.com is where the main video is and its also on youtube. I need some major upgrades and from everything that I have RED this appears to be the right choice?
-M. R. Thompson

Klay M Abele
09-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Hmmm, that is a huge investment. Although it is a great camera, I feel like you should take a smaller step. May I suggest the Black Magic Cinema Camera? The 4K camera is about half that price and the 2.5K version is a fraction of that. Check out this site if you haven't already. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

Make sure you are getting a full kit when buying a camera, stabilization(tripod/rig), Lighting, Audio, lenses, etc. I'm sure you'll make the right choice as it's all depends on your needs.

OrganicPoetTree
09-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Definitely going to look into the Black Magic camera. I had never planned on getting into film at all until people wanted to charge me $1,000 to do a half hearted music video for my song that I was recording. So i decided that I am good learner and have begun journeying down the road of film. The more I learn the more I love it. I'm more of a writer than a "rapper" as I work on stories as well. Anyways, going to do some major research on the camera you suggested. Thanks Klay. Much appreciated.
-M. R. Thompson

Phoenixf2b
09-16-2013, 02:05 PM
To be honest, $1,000 for a music video (at least one with half effort) is a fairly cheap price. If you are just beginning to learn and are interested in buying a camera because you want to know how to produce your own stuff then I would not go with an investment as big as any RED camera. You'd be better off renting one of those if you need it specifically but if it is for your learning experience then the Black Magic is a good camera as Klay mentioned. Other than that maybe play around with some DSLR cameras, the D7 and the Panasonic GH3 being on the more affordable end.