PDA

View Full Version : Virtual set? Miniature/Bigature set? OR On location Set?

rdoha
09-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Hello! I am working on a film project and in need of some advice.

Currently I am in need of some ideas or tips on whether I should create a virtual set, or even plan to invest in any miniature/Bigature models. Of course there is the option of shooting on location which is what I prefer to do since the realism is almost guaranteed. My problem is that one of the time periods of my first trailer is set in ancient Greece. I have a solid idea of what I want the set to look like as well as some rough drawings/storyboards. I am struggling to find a way to find a location in Michigan (where the film is being shot because I am Michigan bound) To give you folks an idea of my surroundings I am around Ann Arbor area. I don't count on any of that information being of any particular use, but if any of you happen to know that area maybe you can offer some advice based on that. Anyway, like I said the time is ancient Greece and I honestly have no idea of how to shoot in that time period. Which brought me to thinking maybe I can digitally create the architecture and background, I know it's not impossible. I just want to maintain a certain degree of realism despite what the movie is about. Also, I am firm on that being the time period so there is no changing it.

Thank you in advance guys and gals.

Anonymous Filmmaker
09-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Although filming in the real place would be preferable, consider using stock footage. A miniature set would be OK, but you would have to green screen your actors in, and worry about getting the miniature to look realistic as well. You could green screen in your actors to some stock footage to make it easier. Or, you could just fly to Greece! :)

JHar888
09-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Green screening isn't a horrible idea for a last resort.

I've seen it pulled off VERY well before.

Mick Scarborough
09-11-2013, 01:34 PM
If you are good at green screen then go for it. I have a few scenes that take place in what I call the abyss in my script. Since it doesn't exist I am considering green screen over CGI.

brianknapp
09-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Just do anything but a virtual set I think other than youtube videos they just don't work for any other practical uses that actually look realistic especially in this short. It just will not look good in my opinion.

rdoha
09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
BrianKnapp Thank you for your advice, I am thinking about tweaking the script to accommodate what I have to shoot locally.

Mick Scarborough, I'll take a look into that as well as Anon Filmmaker's Advice to look into stock footage.

and JHar888 good to know, I will be using it, but only for the smaller scenes that don't require so much detail.

Thank you for all your input. Any others are more than welcome this is of course an ongoing project.

rdoha
09-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Although filming in the real place would be preferable, consider using stock footage. A miniature set would be OK, but you would have to green screen your actors in, and worry about getting the miniature to look realistic as well. You could green screen in your actors to some stock footage to make it easier. Or, you could just fly to Greece! :)

Also, do you have any recommendations as to which website would offer great stock footage?

Anonymous Filmmaker
09-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Also, do you have any recommendations as to which website would offer great stock footage?
I just started submitting to pond 5 and I like the footage there, the only thing is that people set their own prices, so make sure what you are getting is reasonable. Another good one is shutterstock. Let us know if you're not finding the footage you need, and we can help you find it elsewhere. (Or at least try :)

brianknapp
09-15-2013, 05:25 PM
This site looks great I have been saving this site until the day I need it. You get 7 free days of stock footage with 140 video downloads.https://www.videoblocks.com/freeclips/

Anonymous Filmmaker
09-16-2013, 03:11 AM
This site looks great I have been saving this site until the day I need it. You get 7 free days of stock footage with 140 video downloads.https://www.videoblocks.com/freeclips/

I have seen that before, I was never sure if it was a scam site or not.