PDA

View Full Version : I am a 17 year old who wants to start my film making career

tristanbradford
09-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Hello! I am a 17 year old who wants to start my film career now! I need the best camera and boom mic. I can get for $350, please help.

Vance Baryn
09-09-2013, 03:54 AM
Hmm... So the $350 is for both mic and camera. The thing is that your price range is getting close to being able to pick up a fairly decent DSLR used (T3i, D5100, ...) on ebay. However if any of that is going to a mic, you're going to be dropping way down in camera quality. I would probably suggest blowing all of that money just on the camera and using a cheap-ass mic until you can save up for a better one.

UniqueAmI
09-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Everyone starts somewhere. With $350 the chances are you won't be making anything but lo-end pieces that will help you learn your craft.

Buy a camcorder where the mic is good and work it till it dies. If you can save a few hundred more dollars, the XL -1 is a 30 fps professional mini-dv that is considered obsolete for film making now. But, at one point it was a great camera.

You're learning, if you're the next Spielberg you're 30 fps shorts or movies will get noticed. If you're like everyone else, it doesn't matter what you're shooting now, it's all a learning experience.

D4Darious
09-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Hmm... So the $350 is for both mic and camera. The thing is that your price range is getting close to being able to pick up a fairly decent DSLR used (T3i, D5100, ...) on ebay. However if any of that is going to a mic, you're going to be dropping way down in camera quality. I would probably suggest blowing all of that money just on the camera and using a cheap-ass mic until you can save up for a better one.

I would have to agree with Vance on this one.

D4Darious
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Just go with the best camera for now!

Klay M Abele
09-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Agreed, best camera for now, work on composition and knowledge of what shots you need to achieve that cinematic feeling. One example, when cutting from one scene to another, say your first scene ends on a tight shot of your actors face, in order to let the viewer know there has been a scene change the next shot should be at the opposite end of the spectrum (ex. Wide shot/XWS) and vis versa, you end on a wide shot, then cut to the new scene with a CU or MCU, just enough to break the flow of the previous scene.

Ok i'm going on a tangent, the TLDR version: Focus on camera work first.

You may be able to find a used Canon T2i for that price with a stock lens.

khathawayart
10-04-2013, 12:43 PM
I have a used ebay Canon Vixia HD camera with an external sony mic that I got for under $400, I think.

Buy used--a few years old, maybe. Definitely not new.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

shivashimmi
11-16-2013, 08:42 AM
i'd say just focus on the camera. Black friday is right around the corner.

Anonymous Filmmaker
11-16-2013, 08:45 AM
As was already said, check out used cameras. The canon rebel series seems pretty good for you, just don't confuse the t3 with the t3i!

filmmaker6563
11-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Right now, it doesn't matter what gear you have. It matters how you make content, not what you use to make your content. A cheap camcorder, mic, and basic editor is all you need.

Study up on the process of filmmaking, and do the best with what you have.

Anonymous Filmmaker
11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Right now, it doesn't matter what gear you have. It matters how you make content, not what you use to make your content. A cheap camcorder, mic, and basic editor is all you need.

Study up on the process of filmmaking, and do the best with what you have.

Starting off, you really don't need a mic. In camera mics are really underrated. The main problem is that they are just too far away from the action. But, this should not be the first thing you worry about when getting into filmmaking. Get a good camera and some editing software first.

filmmaker6563
11-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Starting off, you really don't need a mic. In camera mics are really underrated. The main problem is that they are just too far away from the action. But, this should not be the first thing you worry about when getting into filmmaking. Get a good camera and some editing software first.

Sure, you don't NEED a mic.

To me, becoming a filmmaker should be becoming comfortable with gear and cast/crew, as well as learning the basics of telling a story.

People learn and work their way up to making art different ways. But yes, a mic is definitely not mandatory.

directorduncan
11-24-2013, 06:14 AM
A shotgun mic is definitely a must. Here's a great one that I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR-6550-Condenser-Shotgun-Microphone/dp/B002GYPS3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385302413&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio-Technica+ATR6550+Condenser+Shotgun+Microphone

directorduncan
11-25-2013, 07:11 AM
If you're interested in learning some of the basic filmmaking fundamentals, shoot me an email and I'll get you half off access to my Online Film School. Check it out at http://www.onlinefilmschoolbootcamp.com/

TheClassicKid
02-05-2014, 07:27 AM
I am also a 17 year old starting my filmmaking career. Getting both a camera and a boom mic for only $350 is not easy. Just keep looking a see what you find.