PDA

View Full Version : Web Series VS Feature

Jfvideos
08-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I'd like to try and make a web series that is high concept, get a bunch of views on youtube, and then sell the idea and rights to a studio. Does this happen normally with web series on youtube that get high hits or are studios not interested ?

Director
08-25-2013, 08:51 PM
When you say studios, I take it you mean networks?

If networks is what you mean, then there is a chance that a network could pick up your show, but you would have to have some enormous views and subscribers.

So yes, if it's good enough there is a chance. However, if your show was that popular then there is the question, "Would you want to sell out to the networks?"

Nick Soares
08-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Just keep in mind that you will be competing against the best in the world, so you should have something that the studio/network will choose you over everyone else working hard to do the same thing -

Jfvideos
08-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Okay, from what it seems this is not a decent route to take. Say I have decent story premises and synopsis's I want to sell and cash in, what would be the best way to sell these without having to write the scripts for them? That was the intention behind making the web series, that it would demonstrate the story and characters could draw an audience. What do you suggest if I have decent synopsis's and want to sell them and have no interest in writing them at this point in my life due to work.

OffMindEnt
08-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Okay, from what it seems this is not a decent route to take. Say I have decent story premises and synopsis's I want to sell and cash in, what would be the best way to sell these without having to write the scripts for them? That was the intention behind making the web series, that it would demonstrate the story and characters could draw an audience. What do you suggest if I have decent synopsis's and want to sell them and have no interest in writing them at this point in my life due to work.

Ideas are basically worth nothing. You can't even copyright an idea.
You only have something of worth when you write a sript at least, and even then, unless it is truly amazing or you have a very big following or a long track record behind you, 99% of the time your script isn't worth much either.

If ideas were worth anything, I'd be a millionaire right now, since I've got so many ideas in my head you wouldn't believe it. ;)

Basically if you want to create a following and build a fanbase for your web series, you need to do two things: 1. create high quality content that people want to see. 2. Create that content regularly, like a new video once a week.

And even if you can produce high quality stuff, it is a gamble.

I know many youtubers who have produced unbelievably imaginative stuff for youtube for years, hundreds of videos, and they haven't been able to get more than a few thousand subscribers, and generally get maybe 5,000-10,000 viewers for each video. Which on youtube really isn't a lot.

There is no easy way to this, and there are no "wrongs" or "rights", you basically have to create your own path to wherever you want to go.

There are risks to both. A feature takes more money, and if you don't have enough of a budget to have certain elements, like name talent, finding distribution is very, very hard, let alone making profit.

Producing a web series, if you are cost effective, can be much cheaper, but you have to put in the extra work, it takes time and effort, like crazy, to achieve the level of success where you could generate enough income to call it profitable, or build a large enough of a fanbase where they would maybe donate to your kickstarter or something.

Check out Freddie Wong on youtube, and his Video Game High School kickstarter. That is basically the level of talent and fan following you are competing with.

Director
08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
I would not say that ideas are worthless, because I have sold a television idea. Yes, I didn't get much for it, and I lost all control of where it went, and is currently shelved, but ideas are not completely worthless, they're just not worth much.

In order to "cash in" as you put it, will require a full blown script, if not a full blown production of, at least a pilot, of what you have in mind. But this is risky, if you plan on investing your own money.

I think the better route to take would be, if you are a very talented writer, try to get on a writing team at one of the networks. Now, I can anticipate the groans I will get for posting this as being a long shot, but to be honest, I think it is less of a long shot than producing a complete TV pilot and being picked up by the networks. That is assuming you ARE a very talented writer, or, your idea so absolutely unique that the concept just blows everyone away.

And if you are not a talented writer, or your idea isn't that special, then you really do not stand a chance no matter what you do.

Sorry for the blunt reality of this, I don't want to discourage filmmakers or script writers, but it needs to be known that, if it is the entertainment road you want to travel down, just be prepared for a long, arduous journey, where the chances of failure are way greater than the chances of success.

Like I said in an earlier post. Your first reason for making movies (or television) should be for the love of it, and everything else runs a distant second.

Jfvideos
08-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Great response. You saved me time and money .

Director
08-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Great response. You saved me time and money .

Well, God, I hope that doesn't mean you won't write, or create, or be a part of this amazing industry. For all its fault, I still love doing it. I love the writing, the directing, and basically hanging out with other of like minded people in the industry. It's all we talk and think about.

So please, don't let my words discourage you from this business, but be aware that, if you're getting into this for fame and fortune, and your hopes of happiness depend on major success, then I'm afraid you'll be sadly disappointed.

But, if you truly love it, love creating and making movies, love being a part of it all, then, you will have a much better chance at real success.

Michelangelo didn't start off painting the sistine chapel. It took years of training. And the more he trained, the better he got at his craft. Same thing with for film, or television.

Don't stop the pen.

Nick Soares
08-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Hey buddy, I hear yea man I really do.... That would be amazing and it is still possible nowadays, but the reality is - If you really feel you have a great story then you are going to have to find the money and produce it yourself, Im sure that's not what you were looking to hear but that is the way it is right now :(

- OR

If you feel your idea is that great, then you might be able to find investors to produce the film for you, just keep that in mind as well. Just remember there is LOTS of competition, but nothing is impossible my friend

Director
08-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Read my newest thread on this subject, The easiest Way to Make a Movie and Get into the Film Business. (http://www.filmmakerforum.org/general-discussion/2790-easiest-way-make-your-first-movie-get-into-business-film-making.html)

D4Darious
08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
You're definitely looking at the produce it yourself route. Web series or feature, you'll have to find money. Crowd-funding is an option but you'll have to shoot a little sample to go along with your pitch.

Jfvideos
08-27-2013, 09:38 PM
More blunt the better. My ideas arent masterworks, but they are of the comic book type that would get me to see a film and get excited about it. Yeah, my goal was to make a pilot , get views, and sell the rights to a studio. But if thats a process studio producers do not partake in, then this dosent seem like the best route since I am on limited funds and dont want to gamble with my cash to this degree.

Mark
02-10-2014, 06:52 PM
I would go with a Feature Film for sure! Think about it, there is no money is web series!

filmmaker6563
02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I'd like to try and make a web series that is high concept, get a bunch of views on youtube, and then sell the idea and rights to a studio. Does this happen normally with web series on youtube that get high hits or are studios not interested ?

It depends on the genre, style, targeted audience, and method of distribution you have devised.

Getting views and going viral = hard
Getting recognized by a studio = hard
Putting out awesome content that people care about = hard
Receiving attention from the big guys = hard

The above 4 are hard, but not impossible. If you put out quality content using your skills and resources to you to the fullest you can push them, and create a distribution and marketing plan (as well as plenty of backups) that is both clever and skillfully created, you can make it to your goal.

Ups and downs of sorts:

WEB-SERIES:
- Good for younger audiences
- Good for fans of horror, science fiction, fantasy, and genres with HARDCORE fan bases.

FEATURES:
- Can be good for both older and younger audiences, particularly middle aged to older aged.
- Almost any genre, but more possibility for success if you are thinking about a drama or romance.

One of the biggest upsides to making a web-series in my eyes is the ability to see how an audience responds to the content you are putting out, as well as building a fan-base that will back you on future projects if needed.

Questions:
Genre?
Style?
Pacing?
Age group?
Distribution plan?
Budget?
Existing fanbase?

----

I would go with a Feature Film for sure! Think about it, there is no money is web series!

Not always the case, there are exceptions. Plus, making a profit isn't always the goal. Perhaps making connections or creating a fan base to later make more money is the desired goal. In some cases, that is what a web series can do.

----

Sorry for the blunt reality of this, I don't want to discourage filmmakers or script writers, but it needs to be known that, if it is the entertainment road you want to travel down, just be prepared for a long, arduous journey, where the chances of failure are way greater than the chances of success.

THIS. This is something every filmmaker needs to hear. It's not make a couple of short films and a year later be having coffee with Spielberg, it takes time and effort. Filmmakers have had divorces, mental breakdowns, family issues, and medical issues due to the craft. It's a tough but rewarding job for those that can take it.

Just keep in mind that you will be competing against the best in the world, so you should have something that the studio/network will choose you over everyone else working hard to do the same thing -

This too. Why should they choose you?

---

Good luck!