PDA

View Full Version : Asking price?

roninfilmer
02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi I am in the middle of shooting a horror film that is about a preacher who decides to prove a recently murdered girl was murdered by malevolent spiritual forces. The film has no nudity, not to much gore but it does have suspense, action and trippy ghost hallucination sequences. The whole thing I am wrapping up for 5 grand that I shot on a Canon 7d.

Here is the concern. I heard from someone that I should tell the distributer that I made it for way more so I am offered a decent price, however I don't know how much to ask for. From anyones experience, do you know how much I could get on average from a place like Maverick entertainment, AWP ? I would like to make profit to pay my bills. lol.

And how much I should start to ask for to bargain down to that price you listed?

Great forum. Always helpful to up and comers.

Nick Soares
02-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Ok, great question. I have use both companies you mentioned in this post. Let me go over a few things

1) Budget 5K
2) Genre Horror
3) movie length?
4) cover art?
5) past films?

Help me fill in the blanks and I will be right here to assist you further

roninfilmer
02-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks.
Budget 5k but could pass for 10 or more. I have alot of crane shots, dolly images with very clean cinematography.
Movie length seems will be 80 minutes when its done.
I do not have the cover art done, but I will have cover art, posters, website, trailer by the time I am finished.
This will be my first film and it has no familiar names .

roninfilmer
02-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Also its mainly horror but the character is a preacher so does that count as faith based?

Nick Soares
02-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh wow, Not sure I got Faith based out of your post, sorry!

Nick Soares
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Ok,

Horror
80 min

You if it is at least watchable, you should at least be able to double your money

Havey
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Do you have a trailer released for it yet?

Havey
02-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Not a full trailer because you aren't actually done filming, just a teaser possibly.

roninfilmer
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Thats great to know. At this time I do not have a teaser. I should have one in about 3 weeks. The editing process is taking me a bit longer due to work and school. I appreciate everyones feedback. If there's a good chance that I can double my money assuming this comes out watchable, that is good to know. If there are any other pointers you would like to give, please feel free to write them. Its all appreciated.

Havey
02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I would recommend getting as much feedback from a variety of people as possible. I am actually in the pre-production stages of my first full length film. And the guy I am working on the project with and me started writing like a basic story line for the movie, thought it was mint, and went to go start on the script.

Then i talked it over with my family, then a few friends, then a few classmates, and realized there were so many opinion on it that really helped us mold it into something better.

I know you are in the middle of filming it right now (I am assuming) but every time you get a segment done, I would recommend getting someone to look over it for you. Ask a couple of friends, but also ask people you arent that close to, they will give you the most honest answer. It really gives you a great perspective on things.

Nick Soares
02-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Thats great to know. At this time I do not have a teaser. I should have one in about 3 weeks. The editing process is taking me a bit longer due to work and school. I appreciate everyones feedback. If there's a good chance that I can double my money assuming this comes out watchable, that is good to know. If there are any other pointers you would like to give, please feel free to write them. Its all appreciated.

I am definitely willing to watch the full movie when you are done, and I will give you MUCH more info on what you can do with it.

Nick Soares

roninfilmer
02-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I appreciate it!