PDA

View Full Version : Free good editing software?

eriaxl
07-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Does anybody know of any free, good and professional editing software? I understand that I will not get anything at the level of After Effects, but I am looking for something decent. I have close to no budget. I would prefer keying, as well as the ability to use several "layers" of video and audio (using several music tracks and sound effects simultaneously). I hope I used the right terms for everything and that you understand what I am talking about.

Thank you in advance.

Mark
07-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I have only heard of it, never used it - But have you tried FastCut? http://fastcut.en.softonic.com/mac/download

There is also this topic http://www.filmmakerforum.org/editing/1895-best-free-advanced-video-editor-software.html

khathawayart
07-27-2013, 10:30 AM
To start out at the entry level, you can try imovie for mac...or Windows movie maker for windows {I think that's free?}.

Just grabbed FastCut and took a quick look at the manual.....for mac...not sure if there's a windows version.

But it looks like it might be a step up from the others I mentioned. Will have to play around with it when I have time.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

eriaxl
07-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Oops, i'm sorry. I forgot to specify that i am currently using windows. FastCut looks like just what i need though. I have tried windows LIVE movie maker. it works fine, except for that it as far as i can tell only lets me add one sound at a time, so I have to choose between sound effects or music and can't do them simultaneously. i will try another version to see how it works. Thank you both.

khathawayart
07-27-2013, 12:12 PM
FastCut is a demo.

After 20 launches, ya gotta pay for it.

What's 24 english pounds in American money? About 18 bucks?

Kurt Hathaway

The Camera Man
07-27-2013, 02:49 PM
FastCut is a demo.

After 20 launches, ya gotta pay for it.

What's 24 english pounds in American money? About 18 bucks?

Kurt Hathaway

$36.92 says the interweb

JoeCanton22
07-27-2013, 03:15 PM
I was a whiz on Windows Movie Maker a long time ago, but I've since upgraded to Mac, and I will never go back. The ease of editing on this thing is worth any price of admission. I am learning more and more on Final Cut Pro, which is a tad expensive but if you are serious, you should consider spending the money. Otherwise, I've used iMovie a lot and it is a very good system. Free, easy to adapt to and use to the fullest. I've edited two short films on it so far. I'm planning on iMovie for my shorts and Final Cut for any future feature length films.

Vance Baryn
07-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Kdenlive: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kdenlive/

Probably about the best free editor out there. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Windows version. It works on Mac and Linux. I have only used it on Linux, but I have read there is a Mac version. you said you use Windows but I post this in case anyone else is interested.

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Try blender. It wasn't meant for editing, but you can edit on it. It has a steep learning curve, but as far as I know, its the best you can get for free.

Vance Baryn
07-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I am changing this comment to less strong wording. Basically, I wouldn't use Blender for editing because you'll basically learn a lot of skills that are not transferable to other editing systems because Blender is not really primarily designed to be an editor, and its interface is very different than anything else out there. But it is free, so you could give it a try.

eriaxl
07-29-2013, 01:37 AM
I tried blender, but it seems very difficult. Think i found a kdenlive for windows. I'll try it out. In the end I will probably end up getting After Effects or Final cut express. Which would you recommend?

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-29-2013, 03:51 AM
I tried blender, but it seems very difficult. Think i found a kdenlive for windows. I'll try it out. In the end I will probably end up getting After Effects or Final cut express. Which would you recommend?

After Effects is AWESOME. However, it was designed for VFX, not editing. For example, it doesn't work well with sound. I don't really know Final Cut as well, but I would recommend Premiere CS6 or a membership to it on Adobe's Creative Cloud. It's by Adobe, so if you end up getting AE for VFX, it's a similar interface. If you buy the standalone version, (which they stopped making a few months ago, but is still around) it is similarly priced to AE. Hope this helps!

matchbox
07-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Does anybody know of any free, good and professional editing software? I understand that I will not get anything at the level of After Effects, but I am looking for something decent. I have close to no budget. I would prefer keying, as well as the ability to use several "layers" of video and audio (using several music tracks and sound effects simultaneously). I hope I used the right terms for everything and that you understand what I am talking about.

matchbox
07-31-2013, 05:25 PM
if you do not mind using to After effects crack. i can help you!

Vance Baryn
07-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Others have said it but I think it's worth repeating. After Effects is not an editor. It is for compositing and damn good at what it does. It would be hell to try to use it for editing, though.

spacecadetmotionpictures
08-01-2013, 12:35 AM

As Vance said above, After effects is not an editing program. It is a compositing program meant to work hand in hand with an editing program, which is Adobe Premiere. I would recommend working with both, but Premiere is the one you need for sure to put video together into a finished product.

If you are thinking of getting the Adobe software anyways, than you can go ahead and jump into them for a free month right now by signing up at the Adobe website and downloading the trials. However, a word of warning: don't let the trial expire in the middle of a project.

khathawayart
08-04-2013, 02:32 PM
I've looked around at the alternatives, and I think the bottom line is there really ISN'T a good, free editor app.

It's simply the kind of thing that to be good, has to be complex and complex isn't generally free....or cheap. And those that are are lacking in many basic features such as filters of text features.

To keep costs down, I recommend buying a used, older version of something good. Either Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas, etc.

Buying older versions will save you much money and frankly, you don't need to be running "current" versions to get a good experience and product out of it.

Besides, if you buy the latest version, soon you'll be using an "older version" when the new version comes out anyway.

Making films has never been cheap, anyway.

Kurt Hathaway

eriaxl
08-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I guess you're right. I have also found that any truly good editor is far from cheap. I'll probably end up paying for something. Does anyone know where can I get a hold of older, cheaper versions? I bet they would work just as well for my purposes.

Anonymous Filmmaker
08-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I guess you're right. I have also found that any truly good editor is far from cheap. I'll probably end up paying for something. Does anyone know where can I get a hold of older, cheaper versions? I bet they would work just as well for my purposes.

Just try amazon or maybe ebay.

khathawayart
08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I've had good luck with both Craigslist and Ebay.

There's tons of used or even unused software out there that's "too old" to be asking top dollar for.

Try looking for Final Cut 5, 6 or 7. The current one is X, so those are all older versions, though a lot of folks still use FCP 7. 5 should be the cheapest and should fix you up with a good system. Something that old should be around $100 or less.

Kurt Hathaway

Anonymous Filmmaker
08-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Or, you could start off with something like premiere elements, that is the beginner version of premiere, and upgrade over time. Just a thought!

Super Geek
07-18-2015, 04:30 AM
I am a fan of windows movie maker...but it is very limited. There are only a few filters and transitions.