PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Versus 5.1 Surround Sound Mix

payperfilm
07-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Nick,

Is there any significant difference in the level of distribution between a stereo mix and a 5.1 Surround Sound Mix?

I'm going to be doing a final mix for my feature film and wanted to know if it was worth effort to put together a 5.1 mix. I'm not much of an audiophile so it's not something that I place a great deal of value.

If anyone else has opinions, I'd love hear them. I can create a 5.1 mix with Final Cut Pro but I doubt I would be able to take full advantage of the nuances without bringing in a sound professional.

Thanks.

Phil

Best Answer:

Hey [#]payperfilm[/#]

Here are the requirements for VOD/SVOD

For SD:

Audio: PCM Little Endian
Ch. 1 left, Ch. 2 right – Each audio channel needs to be its own track

For HD:

Audio: Must have 8 channels of audio

5.1 – L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track
Ch. 7 stereo left, Ch. 8 stereo right / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track

As far as licensing to territories, having 5.1 would generate a better return compared to stereo - It might be a few hundred per territory, it might be no difference, or it might be the difference between thousands of dollars

hope this helps!

*EDIT - It really depends on the territory

*UPDATE - I would suggest doing 5.1 - Sorry forgot to add that in there

Charles
07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Ill text him right now for you

UniqueAmI
07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
If you can do 5.1 well, go for it. It can only help. If you can't, stereo is fine. I've never heard of a movie being passed on because it didn't have 5.1. A lot of the indie movies I watch are still in stereo. If it hits big, you can always remix.

Disney is up to 7.1 sound. It's insane.

UniqueAmI
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
If you can do 5.1 well, go for it. It can only help. If you can't, stereo is fine. I've never heard of a movie being passed on because it didn't have 5.1. A lot of the indie movies I watch are still in stereo. If it hits big, you can always remix.

Disney is up to 7.1 sound. It's insane.

Nick Soares
07-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Hey [#]payperfilm[/#]

Here are the requirements for VOD/SVOD

For SD:

Audio: PCM Little Endian
Ch. 1 left, Ch. 2 right – Each audio channel needs to be its own track

For HD:

Audio: Must have 8 channels of audio

5.1 – L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track
Ch. 7 stereo left, Ch. 8 stereo right / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track

As far as licensing to territories, having 5.1 would generate a better return compared to stereo - It might be a few hundred per territory, it might be no difference, or it might be the difference between thousands of dollars

hope this helps!

*EDIT - It really depends on the territory

*UPDATE - I would suggest doing 5.1 - Sorry forgot to add that in there

payperfilm
07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Nick!

Mark
02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Its funny, I was on this site just now then did a google search and ended up on this thread. LOL Great info, thanks!