PDA

View Full Version : Planning for the Worst, Hoping for the Best!

MrJay10
07-11-2013, 01:37 PM
So the auditions for my next short film are being held on Saturday, and I'm super anxious and excited all at the same time! I've received about 135 emails from different people in the area, and am have been diligent at keeping up with all the applicants and getting my film out there. I've had about 10 people that are confirmed coming, but everyone else is kind of up in the air. I really don't know how many to expect, but I hope more than 5 people show up, that would suck! I have my fingers crossed though and am hoping for the best.

How many people do you think I should expect? Even if just like 30 show up I will be happy lol.

Nick Soares
07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Well if you have 10 people coming you for sure need to be prepared and ready, I think you will be having more come but I would have to read the communication you had with them to confirm this.

Just make sure you have everything set up for tomorrow and feel free to PM me if you have anything you want to discuss in private.

Good luck buddy!

MrJay10
07-11-2013, 02:45 PM
thanks nick, i appreciate it.

Yeah I've got everything set up professionally. Have booked a casual office building, with all my sides & registration sheets printed, along with the help of 3 of the crew members for lobby stuff. Crossing my fingers though!

UniqueAmI
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM
They'll show up, more than you know.

The only thing to worry about, if you asked people to confirm and they didn't, and they just show up. That's the start of unreliability. I've run into that. If they can't take simple direction like "let me know you're coming", what's it going to be like when it gets difficult.

mara
07-12-2013, 06:15 AM
When you actually audition them, don't forget to ask them to do the part differently, to be sure that they can take direction.

In other words: they do it the first time their way, then ask them to change something about their performance, no matter how much you love their first take on it.

MrJay10
07-12-2013, 07:09 AM
great advice mara, I appreciate it.

mara
07-12-2013, 07:20 AM
great advice mara, I appreciate it.

I learned that the hard way

MrJay10
07-12-2013, 07:26 AM
I learned that the hard way

hey, better earlier on than later.

Nick Soares
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
When you actually audition them, don't forget to ask them to do the part differently, to be sure that they can take direction.

In other words: they do it the first time their way, then ask them to change something about their performance, no matter how much you love their first take on it.

Mara might have just saved your film with that advice!

MrJay10
07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Mara might have just saved your film with that advice!

I agree! I was thinking about doing that beforehand, but she confirmed my doubts. Cause I know taking direction and professionalism is a big thing when hiring actors.

mara
07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Someday I'm going to teach a class on screenwriting & production tips, and I'll call it
1,001 Things NOT To Do

Nick Soares
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
I wonder how things are going right now

I totally forgot to mention to be encouraging and thankful even if the talent suck during the audition, DONT BE LIKE Simon on American Idol, thank them for taking the time to come to your auditions and that you will be in touch~