PDA

View Full Version : AE Alternative

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Recently I've been hearing a lot about HitFilm (http://hitfilm.com/). It is a VFX software that seems pretty close to AE from what I have heard. It is $400, unless you get the express version, which is $150. They just finished a Kickstarter for a mac version. I think Filmriot did a review and loved it.

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I caught the Filmriot review and HitFilm looks pretty good, but even Ryan admits that it is NOT AE.

I believe he made the comment that it is great if you are getting started, but if you want more serious VFX, stick with AE.

I might give the trial a go one day, but for now I'm going to stick with my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. Once you start working with the dynamic link between Premiere, Audition and After Effects, the workflow becomes very intuitive and easy to manage. (They really should be paying me for saying all the nice things I do. LOL)

Vance Baryn
07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, while this looks pretty cool, it is not an AE alternative. In his second review of the software Ryan said it was "not even close" to AE. However, it does do some things AE does not do very easily, so it could be a tool to use in addition to AE.

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Yes, while this looks pretty cool, it is not an AE alternative. In his second review of the software Ryan said it was "not even close" to AE. However, it does do some things AE does not do very easily, so it could be a tool to use in addition to AE.

I think it may be a great program for those who are new to visuals and graphics. When I jumped into AE, I sort of jumped into the deep end of the pool with it. Because it is powerful, it is very indtimidating to open for the first time, and I think if I hadn't had experience with Photoshop and Premiere first, I would have been totally lost. From what I've seen of HitFilm, it has a very streamlined interface with a lot of auto functions.

DUNK-ALMIGHTY
07-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Might be worth a look.
I jumped in the deep end with AE with zero experience with it.
A year later I'm still learning its finer points & am still impressed with it...but yeah it can definitely be abit overwhelming for new users.

khathawayart
07-27-2013, 10:45 AM
I found something a while ago called Particle Illusion [may be for mac only? not sure]...and while it's not AE by any stretch of the imagination, I found it very cool.

If you're into Sci-fi types of FX [transporters, laser beams, etc]....this app goes a long way in doing some cool stuff.

There's a demo on the 'net....not sure how much the license is.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I found something a while ago called Particle Illusion [may be for mac only? not sure]...and while it's not AE by any stretch of the imagination, I found it very cool.

If you're into Sci-fi types of FX [transporters, laser beams, etc]....this app goes a long way in doing some cool stuff.

There's a demo on the 'net....not sure how much the license is.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart[at]gmail.com
Neat. I'll have to check that out.