View Full Version : How Would I go About Getting This?

06-28-2013, 06:46 AM
So I am looking to film on a certain location. and a lady gave me a form I need to fill out, and I told her it was a student film for non-commercial use, so I'm getting to use the location free of charge.

So I filled out the form and at the end it says I will need a certificate of insurance. How would I go about getting this? And what type of insurance will I need? I'm only 21 and know nothing how about how to go about this process.

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-28-2013, 06:47 AM

06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
The insurance they are asking for is pretty standard for facility use and can be very cheap if it is only for a short period of time and there is no dangerous or potentially harmful activity taking place. It holds the facility owner indemnified for any harm inflicted on a human and for any damage you or your crew and actors may inflict on the facility. Take the form to any insurance broker, even the person who sells you car insurance or house or rental insurance and if they do not have a line of insurance for that, they can give you a referral to a broker who does. If there are children involved in your event, the cost is going to go up.

06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
How much would it cost?

06-28-2013, 10:37 AM
That depends on any number of factors such as length of time of occupation, type of activity, number of people involved, type of facility etc. Cal two or three insurance brokers and they will give you some cost estimates for your area.

06-28-2013, 10:48 AM
ok thanks for the help man!

06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
You can check Film Emporium - http://www.filmemporium.com/entertainment-insurance-applications.html

06-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Jay, usually the facility will tell you how much insurance to carry; $100,000, $500, 000, $1,000,000, etc.

Check out insurance carriers to find which once carry production insurance (many do), they will ask how long you need it (1 day, 3 etc.) and they quote you the price, you hand them the money, and the insurance carrier will usually fax it to the facility in question.

A word of caution, as this has happened to me. If you miss your production date, you don't get to apply your insurance premium to a different date. So make sure the shoot happens on the date you have on the insurance policy.

06-28-2013, 07:03 PM
duly noted.