PDA

View Full Version : FMF Film Festival: Questions and Concerns

Havey
06-26-2013, 10:33 AM
So even though we would not be able to participate and hold a ceremony somewhere. I would like to announce that we will be having our first ever Film Festival on the site.

I am making this thread as a somewhat announcement thread for anyone who didn't know and this will be a good place to be able to ask questions and get answers.

I have decided to run the entire thing to make sure everything goes down smoothly. But of course, like everything, this site is about teamwork and community. So I definitely want everyone to be involved when it comes down to the decisions and rules that we will put into place when it comes to the competition.

Here are some questions I believe we need to go over as a group and decide on how we want this ran.

1. How many categories should we have?

2. How many judges should their be? I was thinking 5. But the audience and community will also have a say in it.

3. Prizes? I was going to get trophies and certificates.

4. Rules on video requirements. This is a BIG one guys.

5. Starting date and deadline period.

There are more and more questions that probably need to be asked but as of now those are some huge questions I think we need to get organized and answered before we move forward with anything.

Most festivals have a 20-40 dollar entry fee. I would like to say everyone wanting to enter can just throw in $10, which isn't much. And that will cover the cost of trophies, awards, ect.

EVERYONE participating will receive a certificate and the winners will get trophies. I think that is totally fair and it would be really cool for everyone to participate in this.

NOW... Even if you don't have an input on the rules but you still want to enter please tell me now. I'm going to try to get a solid head count of how many people will be entering, so just say so in the comments below.

This will be really fun guys, so lets get this thing going.

Nick Soares
06-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Approved :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure if I will enter anything, but as I've said (twice,) I would be happy to judge. However, if we are doing something like moderators judge the first year, as someone already suggested, I completely understand.

Havey
06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Well I just really want everyone to agree on the rules. I really don't care if you judge, since its going to be 50/50 voting. Judges and community.

But we need to agree on rules and stuff as well.

mara
06-27-2013, 06:08 AM
In terms of categories: I would suggest first splitting it out by shorts vs. features (unless you decide just shorts, which is fine as well). A cut-off time for shorts could be 59 minutes.
It's also possible to further sub-divide shorts by length of time (so separate the under-30 minute pieces from over-30).

I'd further break it down between narrative and documentary in each time period.

Beyond that, do you want to separate comedy from drama? And maybe go further and make a separate horror category?

There are no right or wrong answers, it's a question of how far to sub-divide.

You can also (but don't have to) give an overall "best movie" award.

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Additional subdivide idea: Short short. (Either 15, 10, or 5 min. limit.)

Vance Baryn
06-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I agree with the short short category. There's a pretty big difference in style and pacing between a film that is 10 minutes long and one that is 40 minutes long. It doesn't make sense for them to compete against each other.

The Camera Man
06-27-2013, 11:31 AM
5. Starting date and deadline period.

I'm thinking this should be a yearly thing. If we did it too often, it would take away the prestige of the event. Maybe any film after, say, the 20th December could be eligible for the festival, and the winner could be announced on, or near, New Year's Eve.

Havey
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
We just can't have 20 categories guys. We don't have enough members for that and I'm sure that amount of people won't participate in general. So we need to really try to broaden down the categories and stuff.

I'm fine with doing a short and feature category. But I don't think we should break it down from there with genres. I think we should allow all types of genres, no matter what type.

Also I think if you submit a film it has to be somewhat new. Like you have to have made it within the past year.

And I think yearly is cool. I was going to say twice a year. Maybe do a summer and winter festival type thing, but whatever works for me!

Havey
06-27-2013, 08:25 PM
So I'm going to go with 5 judges, then of course the community voting as well.

Myself and AF are set judges as of now. Need three more.

The Camera Man
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
So I'm going to go with 5 judges, then of course the community voting as well.

Myself and AF are set judges as of now. Need three more.

If you really really need another judge, I'm game. I'm not sure it'd be fair though with my inexperience. I know bits and bobs, but no where near as much as everyone else here

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
If you really really need another judge, I'm game. I'm not sure it'd be fair though with my inexperience. I know bits and bobs, but no where near as much as everyone else here

I think judges should contribute to the forum, and know at least something about filmmaking. I don't think experience should matter as long as you can give good feedback.

The Camera Man
07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
I think judges should contribute to the forum, and know at least something about filmmaking. I don't think experience should matter as long as you can give good feedback.

If everyone is alright with that, I'm up for judging

Havey
07-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm totally fine with that. And if we can't get 2 more set judges within the next week, I might just stick with 3. Thanks for volunteering guys!

M5Boss
07-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Love this idea

JHar888
07-03-2013, 05:01 AM
I'd like to be a judge if that's cool with everyone.

MrJay10
07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I think we should keep things simple.

1. 3 Categories...
-Short, short (10min or less)
-Short (20-45min)
-Feature (50-90min)

2. Three Judges would be cooler I think. Could be too much keeping up with all the judges.

3. 10 Prizes...All genres welcome
-Best Direction
-Best Screenplay
-Best Cinematography
-Most Original Concept
-Best Editing
-Best Art Direction
-Best Narrative
-Best Lighting
-Best Overall

As for rules that will take a little longer to think of

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-04-2013, 03:17 PM
I think we should keep things simple.

1. 3 Categories...
-Short, short (10min or less)
-Short (20-45min)
-Feature (50-90min)

2. Three Judges would be cooler I think. Could be too much keeping up with all the judges.

3. 10 Prizes...All genres welcome
-Best Direction
-Best Screenplay
-Best Cinematography
-Most Original Concept
-Best Editing
-Best Art Direction
-Best Narrative
-Best Lighting
-Best Overall

As for rules that will take a little longer to think of

Sounds good. How will we pick the judges? (Of the people that want to be judges.) I was thinking maybe based on the feedback they give on the forum. I don't think experience should matter; I just think if you can judge well, than you should be able to be a judge.

Havey
07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey guys. I'm going to be creating the video very soon, so I'm bumping this thread for anyone who wants to throw in some last minute suggestions or comments on it.

FilmBreak
07-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Awesome!!
Do you have any ideas on the location of the festival or is it going to be solely virtual?

FilmBreak is also interested in potential partnership of sed festival, would love to confer Havey or Nick more on this :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Awesome!!
Do you have any ideas on the location of the festival or is it going to be solely virtual?

FilmBreak is also interested in potential partnership of sed festival, would love to confer Havey or Nick more on this :)

I think virtual would be better.

The Camera Man
07-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I think virtual would be better.

Agreed. Bare in mind there are members all across the world

Havey
07-09-2013, 01:48 PM
This one, since it is our first, is going to be virtual!

Feel free to shoot me a message and we can talk if you would like to potentially partner up!

Havey
07-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Ok guys last chance to give some input I AM making the video Thursday and the Festival will officially begin on Friday.

So.

I know some people wanted a "Feature" Category, but I was thinking, since this is our first festival we should maybe just keep it to Short and Short Short.

That way the deadline isn't in a year. It can be soon. By the way, does anyone have any good suggestions for Deadline dates?

Now for categories. This is what I was thinking.

Short Films

15-45 minutes long.

Awards will be given to:

Best Directing
Best Editing
Best Screenwriting
Best Cinematography
Best Narrative

Best Overall (Short)

Short Short

15 minutes or less.

Awards will be given to:

Best Directing
Best Editing
Best Screenwriting
Best Cinematography
Best Narrative

Best Overall (Short Short)

Then give out a big trophy to the community and Judges vote for BEST OVERALL IN ALL CATEGORIES.

So in total there will be 13 prizes given out.

PLEASE GUYS. If you have any suggestions for anything, tell me. This is going down THIS WEEKEND.

MrJay10
07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Do we just post our videos to submit them?

And darn I'm shooting my epic film I've been slaving over in like 2 weeks haha. Should be done by late September.

Havey
07-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Well if people want a feature category, we can have one. I'm fine with that. But I just dont want out deadline to be next year sometime. I feel like people will just forget since this is an online festival.

Or we can just do another festival early next year and include a feature section, where you can post your film then? Not sure, totally up to you guys.

And as for uploading, what you would do is send me the file or upload it to Youtube, then let me rip it.

All entries are going on Filmmaker Forums Youtube channel!

MrJay10
07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
no the one im making isnt a feature. And its all good! I can submit my previous film :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds great!

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-16-2013, 03:19 AM
I'm on board to enter something into the festival.

I also feel very comfortable with the judges who've stepped forward so far, and I like the categories suggested!

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-16-2013, 03:36 AM
The only thing is, do we know that we'll have over 13 people entering?

Havey
07-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Well people can win more than 1 award! Keep that in mind. Someone could be walking away with 3 wins possibly, you never know.

But we have partnered up with Film Break. They will be driving in some contestants as well!

MrJay10
07-16-2013, 11:24 AM
whoo! This is turning out to be legit!

MrJay10
07-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I'll submit one of my old ones I made when I was like 13 or 14 haha. I also realized we didn't have a best acting one. But thats ok :)

Havey
07-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I really just wanted to see how this one would turn out first, before I made too many categories and stuff.

But if this one goes smooth, I'll be sure to set up a really nice one for our 2nd annual, and possibly even get some prize money going as well.

MrJay10
07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
sweetness. Sounds cool!

MrJay10
07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
sweetness. Sounds cool!

Havey
07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Yep, should be legit and I'm going to try to run this bad boy as smooth and fair as possible.

By the way! If you are judging, you can still submit anything you want. It really won't be bias. But, know this, if you submit and you are a judge, you can't vote for yourself!

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I really just wanted to see how this one would turn out first, before I made too many categories and stuff.

But if this one goes smooth, I'll be sure to set up a really nice one for our 2nd annual, and possibly even get some prize money going as well.

Money would be awesome and I know that if I won some, I would be spending it on some new equipment, but the festival might be a great opportunity to work some contra deals for equipment prizes as well, like camera sliders, blue/green screen kits, rail/cage kit, etc. with a company interested in attaching their name to the festival.

The latest prizes for the Film Riot Monday Challenge have been equipment from Rhino, which is a real big incentive for entries.

Anyways, that's just a thought. Either way, I'm getting pretty excited about this and can't wait to see what comes...

MrJay10
07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Havey if I win, can you give me that rail dolly you have?? hahaha jk jk

Havey
07-16-2013, 04:38 PM
If we get enough contestants, I will absolutely buy a piece of equipment and give it out to the winner. And thanks for the heads up my friend. That is a great idea. I'll try to see who I can get into contact with.

And MrJay, haha, I told you man, not too expensive. Maybe I'll buy one and give it to the winner!

Nick Soares
07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
More contestants, less judges.

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
More contestants, less judges.

Right now, I want to remain anonymous, so I'm not going to submit anything this time. I would be happy to judge, but if I am not needed, I am fine with that.

Havey
07-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Nick, as of now I'm pretty sure I only have 3 judges that are set in stone (myself included). I might have to boost that up to 5, just because I know the guy at Film Break would like to judge. But regardless, 5 would be out max amount of judges.

The Camera Man
07-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Failing the judge method, could the winners be declared via vote of forum members?

Charli
07-20-2013, 05:04 AM
I am a member of DVXuser and I think they had a very good thing going there, so I would like to offer a few suggestions on my experiences on the contests there. One of the scripts I wrote helped a director win a $600 lens.

Time Length
6-minute shorts (no credits, just title of film)

Category
Only one genre/theme per contest. For end of year it's always "Horror Fest." I suggest your first film fest be a "Horror/Suspense" Fest. Those are the easiest to pull off.

Contest Time Frame
August 1st-October 30th - Short must be "filmed" within that period of time. That gives everyone 3 months to get script, locations, actors, sets, etc., ready in plenty of time. Films uploaded on Halloween and at night everyone can have a Halloween party film fest viewing.

Entry Fee
Free. No entry Fee whatsoever.

Awards
Get sponsors if possible to donate products for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. If not sponsors, then just put their names & title of short in a sort of "Hall of Fame" area.

Use a common Vimeo Account
The films should be anonymous because the one thing on DVXuser was that the popular kids always got the votes. Keep it anonymous and upload film (without credits) to a single Vimeo account for all entries, give everyone the password to upload and the votes are based purely on what the audience sees, not who wrote/directed/produced the film. This will keep everyone on the same level playing field.

Section to offer services
Have a Fest Section and allow users to state that have services to offer. Scripts, FX, editing, composing - it's a collaboration section. If anyone is interested, they can pm the individual to again keep those who enter anonymous.

That's all I have right now.

Havey
07-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Failing the judge method, could the winners be declared via vote of forum members?

We are actually doing both. The reason I HATE doing community voting is because sually people just vote for their buddies.

Now...there will be a community vote, but it will be kicked in with the judges vote as well.

And thanks for all of the input guys, I had a busy weekend, but tomorrow I am going to be making the official announcement video.

It will contain the rules and everything you need to know about the festival.

Havey
07-20-2013, 03:51 PM
ALSO. There has been lots of debate about when the Deadline for the entries should be.

Take into account we are NOT having a feature category this time around. Just shorts and short shorts.

I've had some people say January, some say December, then I've had some people tell me they think it should be like End of August/Early September.

What are your guys opinions on this???

Jimmy
07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
December is plenty time for me to shoot a short, not sure about everyone else. Im just waiting for you guys to officially start it so I can start planning what im going to do. Are there minimum minute requirments, can I do a 4 minute short? I say we set a length, like 4,5,6 minutes to discourage people from just submitting their short film.

What are the prizes?

Havey
07-20-2013, 07:05 PM
All will be explained in the video I will be releasing tomorrow! But keep the messages and comments in this thread coming.

I want to know everyone's thought on the deadline!

Vance Baryn
07-20-2013, 08:03 PM
I would vote for a sooner deadline than later. Like September. I think a lot of people on this forum have plenty of stuff to submit. The idea isn't that people actually shoot a new film for entry between now and the deadline right?

spacecadetmotionpictures
07-20-2013, 10:04 PM
I like the idea of a September deadline.

It seems like enough time for some of us to get a short written, shot and edited with what's left of summer, but it's also close enough to keep the fire under our asses with a tight deadline to meet. (That's what got me through college) :-)

filmmaker6563
12-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Bump. Is this still happening?

MakefilmsOrDie
03-31-2014, 03:45 PM
What happened with the Film Fest?

Anonymous Filmmaker
03-31-2014, 04:57 PM
What happened with the Film Fest?
Nothing, but it's a great idea and we should get it going again!

Havey
03-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Not enough people interested in participating!

We only had 2-4 people saying they would enter something.

Charli
03-31-2014, 05:21 PM
I think the time limit was too broad. If it's limited to a certain time limit, say 6 minutes (and yes you can tell a story in 6 minutes) and limit it to a genre, that will give people a sense of direction on what to do. Just saying... it's how I would go about it.

MakefilmsOrDie
03-31-2014, 07:03 PM
I would have to kind of agree there. Putting a 10min film against a 45min film is tough. It's harder to tell a GOOD story in such a short time, but a judged competition should have it's challenges.