PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this video

whisk25
06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Hey guys,
I am a 15 year old filmmaker, I do it for fun! I was wondering what you guys think of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA-JajJ84h0
It was filmed, edited and directed by me, an was done in about 10 minutes with my friend!
Thoughts?
Cheers,
Christian Radclyffe

L A Morgan
06-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Cool! I like the creepy lighting. Good music for suspense. Do more!

Havey
06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Some things I noticed was the color correction and some of the camera work.

It seemed like the entire video was way over exposed. I'm not sure if it was due to you filming it in a certain setting or if you did it in post, but it was way over exposed.

And the camera work, needs some work. I know it was somewhat found footage, creepy, horror type. But it was a little bit too spastic. So I would work on your angles and camera work.

But other than that I really enjoyed it buddy, keep it up!

Nick Soares
06-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Watching it now, is there a way to turn off "Auto Iris"?

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Some things I noticed was the color correction and some of the camera work.

It seemed like the entire video was way over exposed. I'm not sure if it was due to you filming it in a certain setting or if you did it in post, but it was way over exposed.

And the camera work, needs some work. I know it was somewhat found footage, creepy, horror type. But it was a little bit too spastic. So I would work on your angles and camera work.

But other than that I really enjoyed it buddy, keep it up!

Havey had almost all of the same comments I would have, so I'm just going to add a few points in addition to what he already said. When I read that you did this in 10 min, I wasn't sure how good it would be. Much better than I would have thought for that time-frame. Also, I really loved the sound design. Keep it up!

whisk25
06-19-2013, 07:30 AM
The mad camera angles were meant to be a POV of the character, but I didn't watch the clips back on my camera as we had very little time to do it in, so I didn't know how stable they were until they were on my computer. The lighting was just meant to be a creepy effect, however, watching back on it makes me realise the brightness and exposure needs to be turned down. But thanks a lot for the advice!

whisk25
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
It's a bad camera, which is essentially made for video blogging so no, unfortunately. I need to get a better camera for videos like this.

brianknapp
06-19-2013, 08:40 AM
You did a great job in the sound of this short it really sold it to me that this was a horror short.

The Camera Man
06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
For what it was, very good! All flaws I could think of have already been pointed out.

I've gotta ask though, how do you make it so that you have a custom thumbnail without being a YouTube partner?

Aaron Jones
06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
how do you make it so that you have a custom thumbnail without being a YouTube partner?

I'm not that experienced, but I think this could be done just by adding another layer in AF or what video editing software you use.

The Camera Man
06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not that experienced, but I think this could be done just by adding another layer in AF or what video editing software you use.

Gah, I was hoping not. Sounds too complicated.. bah!

Vance Baryn
06-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Everyone has pretty much said most of what I was going to to say. The only thing I would add is that at 0:20 there is a cut from a POV to another shot facing the exact same direction. It looks awkward. When you cut away from a POV, you should almost always change the angle significantly from what the POV was.

whisk25
06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I totally agree. When editing it I noticed that, but I didn't know how to fix it. All I can say is that it was a camera error!

Vance Baryn
06-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Well, you get around that by putting other shots in between them. Like your shot at 0:23 or the one at 0:26 could have gone in between those two shots to break it up.

whisk25
07-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks for this very good point!