PDA

View Full Version : Creators Being Wrong

UniqueAmI
06-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I go to other movie and show boards, and often get into arguments. I guess because I'm basically an asshole. Pushing that aside, I want to pose a question.

Set Up: Have you ever seen a movie where you're thinking about different parts and you draw a conclusion as to what it means. Then you do a little research and find out the writer, director, actor or creator actually explain the part you're talking about. You find that you came to an entirely different conclusion.

Have you ever thought you knew what happened better then the creators? If you did, what movie?

L A Morgan
06-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Sure. I saw something recently like that, but i can't remember what it was right now. But you're right. It's aggravating when a film doesn't turn out the way you thought.

UniqueAmI
06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Sure. I saw something recently like that, but i can't remember what it was right now. But you're right. It's aggravating when a film doesn't turn out the way you thought.

When you found out what you thought happened didn't happen. Did you accept that you were wrong, or did you think to yourself, I'm right and the creators are wrong?

L A Morgan
06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Well, either the creators were being purposely mysterious or they missed the point they were going for. Did you have some problem with one of your plots?

UniqueAmI
06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, either the creators were being purposely mysterious or they missed the point they were going for. Did you have some problem with one of your plots?

It's nothing with my plots. I've just had it happen quite a few times, especially at the imdb boards for TV shows, movies. It's weird. Because, if I'm confused about something I'll go look it up and understand. But, there are some pointed with evidence that proves them wrong and they'll insist that the creators are wrong. The BTS on DVDs are a wealth of information.

For example: The show Once Upon A Time is similar in plot to the movie Groundhog Day. The Bill Murray character would be The Evil Queen who cast the curse and sent everyone to modern day Maine. When the curse is cast Cinderella is pregnant, and remained pregnant for 28 years (that's how long the curse lasted). They show the repetition of the town morning after morning in one episode. It's obviously Groundhog Day. Yet, there are those that argue it's not a single day, but more like a year.

So, I posed the question if it was more like a year, how come Cinderella didn't drop the baby? Most didn't respond. But one response was, "I don't care, it's not a day it's more like a year." It just astounds me. It makes me question myself, am I that old, senile and stupid. Am I literally missing something?

L A Morgan
06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I never saw Once upon a Time, but I did see Groundhog Day, a very good movie. I'm still trying to remember which film I saw where this happened. It was probably one of those crappy sci-fi channel movies that I sometimes watch with my son.

The basic problem with these problematic movies is that many new filmmakers do not appear to be concerned with details or realism. It's all about gore and action. That's true for many of the new movies, not just sci fi. If you've seen a lot of old movies, which I have, then you'll probably miss the good storylines, dialogue, and just plain sense that was in these films.

It's a new world, Unique, based on the Idiocracy. Not liking that stuff isn't stupid and doesn't make you old. As Mark Twain wrote, "Age is an issue of mind of over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Things always change. Let's hope for the best.

mara
06-06-2013, 04:44 AM
So, I posed the question if it was more like a year, how come Cinderella didn't drop the baby?

Because (1) it's a fantasy and (2) a fictional world only needs to be consistent with its own rules, not with the rules of the real world.

UniqueAmI
06-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Because (1) it's a fantasy and (2) a fictional world only needs to be consistent with its own rules, not with the rules of the real world.

Yeah, no one said that. She still would have had the baby in 9 months. But, for further proof - In the pilot the first time we meet Snow White in Storybrooke Maine, she a teacher and she takes a bird to the window and lets it go. That is 28 years into the curse. In the second season there's an episode titled Welcome to Storybrooke, which shows the curse taking effect 28 years earlier, and they used the same footage. It's the same Groundhog Day.