PDA

View Full Version : To Anyone Wanting To Participate. Please Read

Havey
05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, so as most of you know I'm going to be making a thread soon getting into some detail about the project. i have had a lot of people come to me with some great ideas and I have a lot on the table that I need to get organized before I make the thread! The thread will consist of a bunch of things regarding the project.

But before I go through all of that I am going to make this thread to just kind of get a sense of how many people we are working with here. If you are wanting to help on this project, please just reply to this thread. I just need to get a rough estimate of how many people we still have that are willing to help.

So be sure to do that. I'll be making the thread Friday or Saturday night! so be sure to be on the lookout of that.

Thanks guys and gals!

Patrick Wiley
05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm in.

The Camera Man
05-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Anything I can possibly help with in this project, I shall

OffMindEnt
05-30-2013, 04:42 AM
I definitely want to help.

In what capacity, that would depend on the kind of project we end up doing.

Whether it be brainstorming, helping to produce it, or actually filming something, I can't say yet.

But count me in.

Zen 786
05-30-2013, 05:05 AM
I am willing to help in any way.

SamuelR74
05-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Still on board!

Unregistered
05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey, it's myownself.

The computer I'm using won't sign in for some reason. I'm in.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Still in for post production!

NickAtMixxus
05-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Still in, can do Music Composing, some shooting with DSLR cam, and some 2D/3D animation

Havey
06-03-2013, 08:32 AM
If I'm being 100% honest, I'm not good with this turnout. We had 7 people reply to this in around 5 days. Thats not enough compared to the 25+ people who were willing to do it weeks ago.

Any ideas?

payperfilm
06-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Havey,

I'll be straight up with you. Once I saw where this project was headed, I bailed. Instead of making one film that we could gang tackle, the idea evolved into making several shorts that would be melded into one. It's never going to happen. I've made four feature films and I know how much work as well as resources that are involved. Sorry to be so cynical.

I proposed that a one location wonder be shot where some of us flew in for a long weekend and knocked it out. The screenplay and post work could be done by people who couldn't come out.

I wish you the best of luck and I'll root for you. But I'm sitting this one out.

Phil

NickAtMixxus
06-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I still think this sound like a really fun and inspiring idéa, whatever it turns out to become.
Whether it's going to be a short, narrative, doc or something else. I think the "thing" here is to be open-minded, something like in improvisational theatre, where you say yes to ideás and contribute yourself with some material. (If you're not familiar with that theatre form, for example, it could work like this; one person on the stage act like he is at a lake fishing, another comes in claiming to be an astronaut on a ship, no one denies the other persons story, they just act together with their own reality, and it could get hilarious and interesting, creative and filled with unpredicted action.)
I think people could go out and shoot almost whatever they liked, one person film one minut of some story, another one film some event, yet another one some amazing local nature scene, AND THEN, let's find some very talanted editors here on the forum and just let them put it all together to whatever it may be.

myownself
06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm still in...but for some reason Internet Explorer doesn't let me log in so my only real computer access is at the library. They have IE. I can still post as a guest though.

L A Morgan
06-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Let's come to some firm decisions. Is it going to be a feature or a short? Fiction or documentary? Since Havey bailed, we need an organizer. I don't have the time, but a few of you offered when this thread first got started.

Nick Soares
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I have to much going on with distribution. Based on my experience a cinematic would be near impossible to perform without someone putting money up to get things figured out. I am not trying to be a downer, but I have to focus on my filmmakers and their films right now. If someone wants to try and do this you have my blessings.

Havey
06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
The only way a cinematic film would work in this is to make it in one location and everyone just fly, drive or train out to that location. Which we would need funding to do, because I'm positive people on this forum don't wan to drop major cash on flying and gas to do something like this.

So we need to figure something out my friends!

Patrick Wiley
06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Let's come to some firm decisions. Is it going to be a feature or a short? Fiction or documentary? Since Havey bailed, we need an organizer. I don't have the time, but a few of you offered when this thread first got started.

Ok, this might sound a little rude, but do you people all have amnesia? We held several polls for this. The outcome was narrative short by landslide. There's no ambiguity here. The votes weren't even close. Short crushed Feature and Narrative crushed doc.

Several mediums which I was in favor of got outvoted and I moved on. It seems to me that some people aren't moving on. They're saying the outcome is ambiguous when it's not and seeing if they can splinter off to do what they wanted. Those of you doing this need to understand that splintering off means we have that many fewer people to work with.

People are saying we need a organizer. I agree we need some unifying goal if we want to move forward. Previously I didn't want to ask this because I didn't want to appear selfish, but with all the backpedaling and people leaving the project entirely I feel I have nothing to lose here. Who's willing to produce the script I submitted? It will be open to some modification and rewrites of course but beyond that who's down with that story? So far I haven't had anyone tell me they absolutely hate the script. If you do, please feel free to say so I can take it. If not, why not move forward? I specifically wrote it to utilize our existing locations. I specifically wrote it so each satellite unit can produce their segment with little to no budget. Don't get me wrong, there have been several interesting script ideas tossed around, but no one else has drafted anything. The most common thing I hear in this forum is people say they're "down for anything", well then you're all down for this write? If we don't pick something we'll end up making nothing, and I hope we're all in this to make something rather then nothing.

Vance Baryn
06-03-2013, 11:16 PM
I'd be willing to join in on doing Patrick's script. If nothing else to show all the doubters that this can actually be done. Let's do it. That script already exists. It makes use of a small cast and easy to find locations. Sounds good to me. I'm in.

Doing a film in one location does NOT count as making a film with this forum community, It's just making a film, and using the forum to do some recruiting. There's a vast difference. Changing it to one location is against the very spirit of what this is about, in my opinion.

I'm with Patrick. A script exists. Votes have been cast. let's stop dilly dallying and squabbling amongst ourselves and move on to the next step.

I suggest we start one last poll. Describe exactly what we are doing and it has only two options: "in" or "out." That's what this thread was supposed to be but it got off track. A poll along with a description of exactly what is being done would be much better.

Havey
06-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Wait. When did I say I bailed? I never stated anywhere that I wouldn't be the organizer for this.

I'm just simply stating that we originally had around 30 people willing to help, now we don't even have 10, so we need to start spitting some new ideas out and quick before we lose the interest of other people. I will happily organize this, but I need to see some type of turnout from people before we get started.

Everyone here needs to stop squabbling and get on with this film. It seems like everyone is on a different page here. The reason I have yet to make that large thread is because our turnout of people is very slim at the moment. As soon as we get some more people involved I am going to make a thread dedicated to talking about what we are going to do.

A lot of people stated making 2 films, a narrative and doc. I don't believe that is going to work now and we need to decide on one then go from there with scripting.

L A Morgan
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Sorry, Justin. I was tired when I wrote that and got you mixed up with Payperfilm.

Patrick Wiley
06-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Wait. When did I say I bailed? I never stated anywhere that I wouldn't be the organizer for this.

I'm just simply stating that we originally had around 30 people willing to help, now we don't even have 10, so we need to start spitting some new ideas out and quick before we lose the interest of other people. I will happily organize this, but I need to see some type of turnout from people before we get started.

Two of our most important locations have chimed in. I think we can move forward with these seven and pick up more along the way. I think when people see that things are moving along we'll get more people on board. We can even PM some people who have drifted away with specific jobs and see if they're willing to do it. From the start it was a given that people would need to be recruited from outside the forum. I know two very talented DPs/Editors in New York who also have directing experience. I bet at least one would be interested in doing this if no one from the forum is available.

Everyone here needs to stop squabbling and get on with this film. It seems like everyone is on a different page here. The reason I have yet to make that large thread is because our turnout of people is very slim at the moment. As soon as we get some more people involved I am going to make a thread dedicated to talking about what we are going to do.

A lot of people stated making 2 films, a narrative and doc. I don't believe that is going to work now and we need to decide on one then go from there with scripting.

I think it's already been decided in the polling, doc lost. If someone really desperately wanted to do a documentary we can all shoot some behind the scenes stuff about how this film was made and they can edit it.

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
...we can all shoot some behind the scenes stuff about how this film was made and they can edit it.

I think we may as well do that, as it's easy to shoot, and not too hard to edit.

L A Morgan
06-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe we could do something called "The Chain Letter" and everybody could do their own segment and piece them together. We'd all have to sync on the camera work? Is that possible?

Patrick Wiley
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
What do you mean by that? The intent has always been to create a story which takes place in a variety of locations shot by different crews.

L A Morgan
06-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Using a variety of locations will require a large budget, and many people who want to participate are going to be left out. All in all, I think a single story line would be most effective, but it can be interwoven with a number of short stories. For instance, if we did "Chain Letter", we could show the letter moving from person to person and how it effects each individual's life in a meaningful way.

Patrick Wiley
06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Using a variety of locations will require a large budget, and many people who want to participate are going to be left out.

No it wont. We simply need to write scripts which result in each location requiring a low to no budget shoot. I already submitted a script written so that units in Mumbai, Korea, and up to three US cities could produce their segments for virtually no cost. That's the real edge we have here. We have these locations already because members of our community are there now (or will be in the near future). We'd be fools to waste these locations.

The chain letter storyline you're suggesting wouldn't be any cheaper and it would make for a less cohesive narrative. I really see no point in doing a story like that. It seems like the type of thing we should do if everyone had strong inclinations towards one story or another, but that's not the case. Everyone keeps saying they're "down for anything".

I think we need to skip voting for genre or style and go straight to scripts. I took the time to draft out a script which utilizes the locations of our existing unit directors. Vance has already said he's willing to help produce it. If we're going to entertain any other ideas, those ideas should be complete scripts, not treatments or general ideas but a drafted script. Once we pick a script the other writers and the unit directors can make general modifications adding a bit of their own flare to their segments and generally cleaning up the script.

Anonymous Filmmaker
06-12-2013, 03:09 AM
So are we going to do this or not?

Mark
06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Patrick why don't you just take the lead then - I think those who have experience with production know the way you want to do it is hard, don't get me wrong I want to see this happen, but I think you will see that the way you want to do with the project will not happen. Nick has expressed his concerns with this project and already bowed out, why dont you make it happen?

SamuelR74
06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't think this plan should be abandoned altogether. Maybe there is just too much indecisiveness going on. I think that's what happens though when you have too many Chiefs and not enough native americans. ;-)

BUT.....there's something rather reassuring that I've noticed: with all of the unemployed American's out there, it's nice to know that the Film Industry is BOOMING because we are ALL busy with our projects! That's a good thing! Maybe we aren't making money but we are at least doing what we all love!

So maybe this project takes a back seat but we can keep adding ideas until things line up.

L A Morgan
06-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm with you, Samuel!

Kevin
06-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Got pulled away from the forums for a while, but I'm still interested in helping out.

Patrick Wiley
06-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Patrick why don't you just take the lead then - I think those who have experience with production know the way you want to do it is hard, don't get me wrong I want to see this happen, but I think you will see that the way you want to do with the project will not happen. Nick has expressed his concerns with this project and already bowed out, why dont you make it happen?

I'd be happy to. I'll get in touch with Vance and Zen right now.

What exactly do you see as the major challenges behind shooting my script? Keep in mind we already have people in all those locations who are still on board with the project.

nico_was_here
07-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I am in for sure!

Charli
07-23-2013, 05:10 AM
I don't understand. You're trying to have a film contest AND a collaborative project at the same time?

Havey
07-23-2013, 06:46 AM
No. As far as I could tell this project just isn't happening.

MD Morgan
07-23-2013, 07:54 AM
I write great theatrical music if you need it. Also I am experienced at video editing and special effects.