PDA

View Full Version : Buy Full Adobe AfterEffects or Sony Vegas for less?

brianknapp
05-13-2013, 05:37 PM
So my Sony Vegas trial expired again today. I do not have the funds to purchase the full version so for awhile I have rebooted the computer and and installed it again. This way works but is a huge hassle with tons of files to back up. I have looked for cheaper alternatives but all the stuff I am used to and need are in these very expensive programs. ( now going into what a friend told me *cough *cough as to legally not get in trouble) A friend said that he tried downloading cracks to make the trial version work as the full version but had no success as all were bad cracks or were removed. He then tried calling a guy on craigslist a couple weeks ago to try to purchase the full version off him for $40 bucks but have not heard back yet. (transitioning back to me) So are there any alternatives cheaper or ways to get the full version under $100 because that is all I can afford and willing to spend.Thanks!

Director
05-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling i'm the only one on FMF that has heard of eBay. Here's a combo Final Cut 3, Plus FCP Express 4 (which will edit HD) for $139 bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Cut-Studio-3-Final-Cut-Express-4-/271205842822?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item3f2520bf86

Havey
05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Are you running on PC or Mac?

Director
05-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Are you running on PC or Mac?

Yes, that is important to know.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-14-2013, 03:23 AM
If you want a cheap AE alternative, check out Hit Films. There was a recent Film Riot on it. It's a little easier than AE, and costs a lot less. I think it may be PC only. Do you know about the Adobe student discount? It's huge!

brianknapp
05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah PC I have looked on ebay but found nothing For Windows.

Havey
05-16-2013, 06:30 PM
I'd recommend saving a little bit and just buying Sony Vegas.

brianknapp
05-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd recommend saving a little bit and just buying Sony Vegas.

I would, but I still have to pay off my T2i and still have to invest in accessories for it first. I will hopefully once I get the funds but until then I found this cool alternative any thoughts?http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.253711600&pid=CTF-01081?mr:trackingCode=917AC9BE-81AF-E211-B13C-BC305BEDEAD8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=15239889307&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=21844073347&tid=2iYORhOz&cid=5250&pcrid=15239889307&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_PLA+-+All+Other&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&origin=pla and this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=913762&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Havey
05-16-2013, 06:48 PM
You can't find an older version of Vegas online? Like 9 or 10 for under $200?

Weird.

Anyways, I use to use Pinnacle stuff for recording game footage because I use to make montages, but I never used their editing software. I honestly wouldn't spend the money on it. You're still dropping close to $200 bucks on something thats not nearly as good as Vegas. I would just keep saving then get Vegas. Its my favorite program for basic editing and rendering.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-17-2013, 03:14 AM
With the student discount, you can get production premium for $600 I think.

khathawayart
05-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling i'm the only one on FMF that has heard of eBay.

===========

HA! So true. I use ebay all the time for apps and cameras. I save a ton...though I still pay a small fortune for all I need.

But to be clear: AE and Vegas are two different animals. Vegas is an editing program--I don't use it--I USE FCP and Avid software. And AE is more of an FX program. I use that, too--pretty extensively...but it's not an either-or situation. Buy a non-linear editing app--Vegas, FCP, Avid, Adobe Premier or any others--and also get AE as an FX supplemental app.

You can technically edit with AE, but it's not built as an editing system per se. All of my AE files are eventually imported into FCP or Avid to round out whatever production I'm working on.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-26-2013, 04:26 AM
AE doesn't play with sound unless you change some settings and do a RAM preview, so as Kurt said, it's not great for editing. I never use it with more than one clip at a time.

Aaron Jones
05-26-2013, 01:55 PM
AE doesn't play with sound unless you change some settings and do a RAM preview, so as Kurt said, it's not great for editing. I never use it with more than one clip at a time.

I'm running into this right now. I have been working on a Intro for my production company for the my wedding DVD. I made a visual the way I like it but it needs sound. I was trying to put in some sound to it for emphasis but been having a little trouble with After Effects playing the sound. So I will import into Premiere and try to bring it together.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm running into this right now. I have been working on a Intro for my production company for the my wedding DVD. I made a visual the way I like it but it needs sound. I was trying to put in some sound to it for emphasis but been having a little trouble with After Effects playing the sound. So I will import into Premiere and try to bring it together.

That's exactly what I normally do :)