PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Feature - PLEASE READ

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 08:27 AM
I want to pitch something to everybody because I think the project has gotten ahead of us.

Here is the basic idea.

Cinematic Feature that utilizes directors / producers in different locations without having to have the actors meet in person. There would be relationships but communication would be between phone and internet etc. We would want as many members on the forum to be involved as possible.

Writing:
The script would be something similar to Independence Day or 2012 with an event that brings all of the characters together from different locations. The event could be anything. It's just an event to base the script on. Cyber-terrorists is one option. A master writing team would set the foundation and guidelines for the story and each sub story, and establishing basic character relationships between locations available to us. A sub writer would be assigned to writing the story for each location. The stories would then be passed up to the Master writing team which would rewrite the script as a whole and make sure everything lines up. There will be changes here to make sure each sub talks well. Rewriting then until the script is superb.

Production:
Production would be broken up into teams. A crew at each location will manage, film, and then rough edit the section of the script assigned to them. These multiple rough cuts would be passed up to a master editor, who would then cut them into one story. A master sound team would jump in here too.

Music:
I recommend 1 composer to score the film (and I promise not selfishly) but we could also have a music supervisor and use music from 10 popular bands on the internet. This will help with networking... even if we only use 10 seconds of each song. Opens up the possibility of an indie soundtrack as well. Good groceries. There is also the possibility of multiple composer sharing the score, but I do not believe that would be the best for the movie.

Management:
Business Management - Probably would be best to give Nick power to run this as a business with each team being their own sub contractor.
Board of Directors - A board for decision making and management for the project and each team. Use the team leaders.
Graphic design and marketing team etc. can be established when needed.

Ask me questions but It is really pretty simple I think.

I am not opposed to doing any other sort of film but I believe we should have a basic plan and pitch "like above" for each so that we know exactly what we are voting for before we do so. Otherwise, we would be voting without key information needed from an actual assessment. Our votes would likely be based on instinct, personal want, or even fear, which was my first reaction to doing a cinematic feature. The idea of managing of this kind of project was scary. This isn't typical. But now I have a mental grip on it and it's really simple.

I hope you all consider this as I personally believe it is the best choice for the forum. Either way, happy film-making!

Thanks!

(And so you know my PRIMARY SKILLSET: Producer, Composer, Screenwriter, Project Manager, Technology.)

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 08:46 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that doing a feature in this manner would allow us to use our situation (The Forum and Multiple locations) to our advantage rather than treating it as a disadvantage. I believe we can make a really good movie. There is no reason we couldn't raise money for this as well and I would pitch in.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I think we should attempt something like this after we've done a short as proof of concept.

The short would be a huge help when it comes to raising funds for a feature.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 08:50 AM
The short would be a huge help when it comes to raising funds for a feature.

Very true. Could be great for crowd funding.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Very true. Could be great for crowd funding.

That is what I meant when I said start with a short. We could use a short to raise money for a feature.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 09:23 AM
That is what I meant when I said start with a short. We could use a short to raise money for a feature.

We could also just collaborate on a pitch video for crowd funding, which could also be very cool and give us the same experience. Would utilize our time better as well.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 09:30 AM
We could also just collaborate on a pitch video for crowd funding, which could also be very cool and give us the same experience. Would utilize our time better as well.

The vote and Nick's decision on the matter is pretty clear. Our first project will not be a feature.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 09:34 AM
The vote and Nick's decision on the matter is pretty clear. Our first project will not be a feature.

I haven't seen a clear decision anywhere.

Either way, I'm asking Nick and the rest of the forum to reconsider. Whatever the decision is, I'm not upset at all.

Havey
05-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I think a short would be perfect. Then use it for crowdfunding if we ever decide to take it to the next level.

With so many people and so many various opinions on the matter I think we need to stick to small and then build our way up.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I haven't seen a clear decision anywhere.

Either way, I'm asking Nick and the rest of the forum to reconsider. Whatever the decision is, I'm not upset at all.

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/lets-make-film/2182-short-vs-feature-head-head.html That's pretty clear.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/lets-make-film/2182-short-vs-feature-head-head.html That's pretty clear.

I see. There is only 15 total voters though and there is no key information about either. That is not a very clear decision imho. There is no risk assessment or planning involved at all.

I suggest we reconsider and hold another vote with an actual plan for each option. Otherwise, this is a blind vote and involves only part of the forum.

Havey
05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I think the reason the voting was on "Short vs Feature" was because everyone wanted to know what ground we could start on.

It does matter, in my opinion what we start with. I think it was just to get a really, really broad idea of where we were going to start. Then from there we could really sit down and discuss everything involving what we initially voted on.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I think the reason the voting was on "Short vs Feature" was because everyone wanted to know what ground we could start on.

It does matter, in my opinion what we start with. I think it was just to get a really, really broad idea of where we were going to start. Then from there we could really sit down and discuss everything involving what we initially voted on.

I don't disagree and completely understand the objective of the vote. I'm not against doing a short at all either, But after brainstorming a plan, I believe we are ahead of ourselves and should reconsider. I hope everyone involved takes the time to read my post and do so.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I see. There is only 15 total voters though and there is no key information about either. That is not a very clear decision imho. There is no risk assessment or planning involved at all.

I suggest we reconsider and hold another vote with an actual plan for each option. Otherwise, this is a blind vote and involves only part of the forum.

Not everyone in the forum gets a vote, only those participating. 15 people out of the 21 listed on the crew page isn't bad at all. That's about 75% of eligible voters. The US presidential election doesn't get 75% participation.

What key information do you need? It's a short or a feature. There are tons of discussions on here about the possibilities and execution. There's been ample participation in these discussions. We were talking about shooting with multiple satellite units from the start. I frankly find it a little condescending that you assume all these voters are ignorant of these discussions.

We can't have a complete production plan or risk assessment before we even decide what we're making. That's like asking for blueprints when you're not sure if you're building a playground or a condominium. Drawing out the full plan for a feature will take a lot longer then drawing out the plan for a short. We could have a short written, planned scheduled and even shot in the time it takes to perform the necessary pre-production on a feature.

More important then all of this is the fact that Nick, our producer, has said he does not have the time for a feature right now. I think there's ample evidence that the general consensus of this project is in favor of doing a short film first. If suddenly a bunch of people in key positions (Directors, Producers, Editors) say they'd rather do a feature then by all means hold another vote. Otherwise I strongly recommended you make this the last thread to discuss the matter.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Not everyone in the forum gets a vote, only those participating. 15 people out of the 21 listed on the crew page isn't bad at all. That's about 75% of eligible voters. The US presidential election doesn't get 75% participation.

What key information do you need? It's a short or a feature. There are tons of discussions on here about the possibilities and execution. There's been ample participation in these discussions. We were talking about shooting with multiple satellite units from the start. I frankly find it a little condescending that you assume all these voters are ignorant of these discussions.

We can't have a complete production plan or risk assessment before we even decide what we're making. That's like asking for blueprints when you're not sure if you're building a playground or a condominium. Drawing out the full plan for a feature will take a lot longer then drawing out the plan for a short. We could have a short written, planned scheduled and even shot in the time it takes to perform the necessary pre-production on a feature.

More important then all of this is the fact that Nick, our producer, has said he does not have the time for a feature right now. I think there's ample evidence that the general consensus of this project is in favor of doing a short film first. If suddenly a bunch of people in key positions (Directors, Producers, Editors) say they'd rather do a feature then by all means hold another vote. Otherwise I strongly recommended you make this the last thread to discuss the matter.

Does it bother you that I ask everyone to reconsider? I know where you stand. I'm just asking. It shouldn't be a big deal that you would have to strongly recommend anything at all. Please let me hear others opinions now.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Does it bother you that I ask everyone to reconsider? I know where you stand. I'm just asking. It shouldn't be a big deal that you would have to strongly recommend anything at all. Please let me hear others opinions now.

I have to say, I agree with Patrick too. Then once we've made that, then we can consider a feature.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I have to say, I agree with Patrick too. Then once we've made that, then we can consider a feature.

And just to be crystal clear, I don't disagree with Patrick. I'm just recommending we reconsider. Nothing more. So I hope people don't mistake this for an argument. I'm in for whatever.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 11:58 AM
It was coming across as an argument. It doesn't bother me that you're asking people to reconsider per se, although the way you're asking implies, at least to me, that you think we've all made a rash decision without careful discussion or consideration. The points you've made have been made before by other people across multiple threads. You have brought this up on several more threads and I think creating a new one was unnecessary and basically seemed stubborn.

A lot of ideas I was really passionate about have gotten shot down in this sub forum and I've moved on. If everyone started a new thread to advocate for their idea this forum would be cluttered to the point of uselessness.

Anyway you've made this thread and I guess you felt it was necessary to make sure all things were considered. Fair enough, I'll leave this one be and if more people jump in in favor of a feature we should certainly revisit the idea. I suggest that from now on you treat this thread as the official place to discuss this topic and not bring this up in other threads. It's very noticeable and since people keep responding it's at the top of the forum list. If we can agree that this is sufficient exposure then I'm happy to let this subject be.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 12:08 PM
It was coming across as an argument. It doesn't bother me that you're asking people to reconsider per se, although the way you're asking implies, at least to me, that you think we've all made a rash decision without careful discussion or consideration. The points you've made have been made before by other people across multiple threads. You have brought this up on several more threads and I think creating a new one was unnecessary and basically seemed stubborn.

A lot of ideas I was really passionate about have gotten shot down in this sub forum and I've moved on. If everyone started a new thread to advocate for their idea this forum would be cluttered to the point of uselessness.

Anyway you've made this thread and I guess you felt it was necessary to make sure all things were considered. Fair enough, I'll leave this one be and if more people jump in in favor of a feature we should certainly revisit the idea. I suggest that from now on you treat this thread as the official place to discuss this topic and not bring this up in other threads. It's very noticeable and since people keep responding it's at the top of the forum list. If we can agree that this is sufficient exposure then I'm happy to let this subject be.

I don't think doing a short is a bad decision at all and I did state that in the post. Perhaps you missed that. But no harm done.

I posted here so it would be the official place for this conversation because there was nothing dedicated to it as no one seems to have brought it up for discussion and I don't like wasting time. I have the best interest of the team in mind and am only looking out for everyone. I am an experienced project manager and was hoping to shed light on the situation. I just think this has not been thought through well enough. That is common among projects like this so I felt the need to ask people to reconsider with more information at hand. Whatever is decided, I look forward to the opportunity to work on a project like this. It looks fun. Thanks.

Director
05-12-2013, 02:35 PM
You know Adam, there's nothing to stop you from creating a feature project on your own from the people on this forum that would like to be a part of it. This way, everyone gets what they want.

There are so many teams and people that want to do something, that it might just make an interesting alternative.

My first recommendation would be to get a definite writer on your team (if you chooses to ramrod the project), and then put the rest of the players together.

Furthermore, there seems to be some people that put too much emphasis on raising money to pull something like this off. I say it can be done for next to nothing, which would make a project like this even more interesting. Just stay away from script ideas that require special effects that can't be done with After Effects, too many location moves, and too many characters.

On a personal note, I would prefer a feature versus a short. To me, shorts really don't prove any concept at all. What's more, there is little to no commercial value in shorts to be had, other than maybe a nod from some critics at a film festival.

So, if you decide to go that route, I could be interested in shooting some material.

Adam Spade
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
You know Adam, there's nothing to stop you from creating a feature project on your own from the people on this forum that would like to be a part of it. This way, everyone gets what they want.

There are so many teams and people that want to do something, that it might just make an interesting alternative.

My first recommendation would be to get a definite writer on your team (if you chooses to ramrod the project), and then put the rest of the players together.

Furthermore, there seems to be some people that put too much emphasis on raising money to pull something like this off. I say it can be done for next to nothing, which would make a project like this even more interesting. Just stay away from script ideas that require special effects that can't be done with After Effects, too many location moves, and too many characters.

On a personal note, I would prefer a feature versus a short. To me, shorts really don't prove any concept at all. What's more, there is little to no commercial value in shorts to be had, other than maybe a nod from some critics at a film festival.

So, if you decide to go that route, I could be interested in shooting some material.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I agree with everything you said. I am considered doing a feature like this sometime as well. It wouldn't be a first time I have organized something like this. With a good script and some wise planning, we could produce a good film. I guess we'll just see what happens.

I'm more interested in making friends and scoring some films right now though:)