PDA

View Full Version : Everyone wanting to participate read this!

Havey
05-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Okay guys, so I've sat behind closed doors and just read over what points you have made and what you have all came up with. I really didn't want to post and give much input into this. I really wanted you guys as a community to really come together and figure out what you wanted to do with this. Kind of what Nick is doing, then, when the time was right I was going to come forward and post my two cents. But I've noticed a few things that I would really like to point out and bring to the table.

1. The first thing I think EVERYONE needs to realize is the potential of this project. No, I'm not saying this can't be something great and I'm not saying its going to be the most amazing thing ever. But after reading a lot of comments I think everyone is looking at a HUGE picture here (which is great), but you guys have to start thinking as a group and not individually if you want this done.

What I'm saying here is...a lot of people are bringing some big plot ideas to the table. Which is a really good thing, BUT, remember the budget we are working with and remember that even though you might have the ability to create certain things, other members might not have the ability or the equipment to do so. You have to find a happy medium with this project. Start small and lets work our way up. I'm loving some of the plot ideas, but some just need toned down. Think small and lets work our way up.

Start with what genre we are looking for, then go from there.

That brings me to my next point.

2. VOTING. Alright, so we still haven't voted on what type of film we are doing. Is it going to be a short, a feature. A documentary and narrative. Is it going to be a thriller, action, comedy, ect. My point here is that we need to let the voting be done. Lets try to keep everything organized!

I know that some people are starting to somewhat bump heads when it comes down to the decision making process in all of this, which is totally normal. BUT, with that being said. We need to come together, everyone vote, then we can start knocking out plot ideas and deciding on our crews, ect.

So for right now. What I think every member should do is vote in the polls that are currently open. I think once we figure out what direction we are going in, then we can come together and make a final decision as a community as to what we are going to go with as our final decision. I know a lot of you have GREAT ideas, I have read most of them. I'm super proud of you guys and I'm just as excited as you are. But we need to start taking things 1 step at a time or its going to become a little confusing as to what is going on.

So vote guys, keep your plot ideas to yourself, then when the time is right, throw your ideas in there. Or for now, just put them in the "Plot Suggestion" thread!

Which brings me to my last point.

3. Organization. This section is about to get extremely cluttered in a bad way. Think about it like this...we have probably 30-40 members who want to participate in this (or more) and they are all posting new threads and posting different things in different threads all at once throughout each day. After a few months its going to be VERY confusing to try to look through the threads and see what is going on. So of course we need to tr yto keep everything organized.

When you have a plot idea, FOR NOW, just throw it down in the "Plot Suggestion" thread. Since right now its kind of a voting period.

Try to not make a new thread every time you think of a solid idea. I promise your idea WILL be heard, trust me. Just try to hold off on making too many threads. I have began to notice a few times where threads basically include the same exact info as another thread. This makes it really difficult for members to remember what thread to post it. So try to keep everything to the thread it needs to be in.

Okay guys so thats it. I'm not trying to come in here and be an ass or anything! Trust me, I think what we are doing and all of the work you guys have put into this project already is absolutely incredible and I'm really proud to be a part of it with you guys. I just really think we need to slow down and take the project 1 step at a time, stay calm and work together. And of course, keep everything organized for the sake of all of us!

Keep doing your thing guys, its really impressive. I really hope you took the time to read this and agree with some of the points I made!

Keep it up! :)

OffMindEnt
05-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Very good points, Havey. I agree wholeheartedly.

Right now it seems that it is between a documentary short or a narrative short, and a narrative short is the more popular choice at the moment.

The reason I started the plot suggestions thread was so that everyone would have the opportunity to tell us their ideas for the film. And after that we would have a poll where people could vote for their favorite plot.

Right now it seems that once someone suggests a plot, one or two people start brainstorming around that idea, leaving behind those who might not be totally for that particular plot.
This can get very confusing and people tend to get ahead of themselves, when we should all be taking baby steps and finding a genre/plot/medium we can all agree on.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I agree the threads were getting redundant. It also got on my nerves that people would occasionally jump into planning out an idea as if it was already decided. So no you're not being an Ass at all.

One thing though. If we vote on short, I think we can skip voting for genre. I I'm not even sure we need to vote on pitches. Instead why not just have everyone submit a rough draft of a script? Its a short so it wont take too long to write them or read them.

Either way I think we need a new method for voting on these categories, like a first choice, second choice third choice system. We might need to find a different web service that accommodates that kind of polling.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-13-2013, 03:19 AM
I agree the threads were getting redundant. It also got on my nerves that people would occasionally jump into planning out an idea as if it was already decided.

I agree, and I think I'm guilty of that too. (Sorry!) I started a thread called "General" in this section a while ago, so if people have basic questions or ideas that don't fit into another category, they can put it there. It has 0 replies.

SamuelR74
05-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I totally agree as well. When this section started, it had 2-3 threads. Then it began to sprout limbs and becoming way too repetitive. I had to step away for a bit and when I came back it seemed there were polls about which poll to poll! LOL! We have a great opportunity here and I hope it doesn't get abandoned.

Patrick Wiley
05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
There aren't polls about which poll to poll, there's three polls, a medium poll, an head to head poll of the two highest ranked mediums, and a poll for doc verses narrative.

brianknapp
05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
There aren't polls about which poll to poll, there's three polls, a medium poll, an head to head poll of the two highest ranked mediums, and a poll for doc verses narrative.

I thought it was already decided that it would be a doc though.....

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I thought it was already decided that it would be a doc though.....

No, there is a current vote going on.

Patrick Wiley
05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
And doc is losing badly.