PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Plot Ideas?

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 07:12 AM
I know that there has been some interest in doing a story revolving hackers. There has been a sample script and a number of log lines. What are your thoughts? Assuming that we make a narrative, would you want to do a hacker story? If so, we should try to brainstorm different ideas.

Havey
05-12-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm honestly down for whatever. I'm really going to let all of you guys decide on something, then when the time comes to start, I'll throw in my two cents!

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm a slightly biased party but I'm definitely interested in the hacker story :D

Right now we're all coming together from around the world using the internet to accomplish something. I think it would be great if the film we create features characters doing the very same thing.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm a slightly biased party but I'm definitely interested in the hacker story :D

Right now we're all coming together from around the world using the internet to accomplish something. I think it would be great if the film we create features characters doing the very same thing.

I completely agree. I think a hacker story could be a good compromise on many genres and ideas people had. Depending on how it's done, while some still may not love it, at least it would be do-able.

shawnrohrbach
05-12-2013, 11:14 AM
My humble contribution. My world for the past 25 years has been in hacking. Now don't get your undies in a bunch. We work to intentionally break our own code to make it less potentially vulnerable to those we call "crackers", those with nefarious intent to break code, steal information or commit some other kind of cyber crime. I know a word begins to mean what it is used for and to most people hacker means nefarious intent and cracker in my neighborhood is a racial slur against whites. However, in my world of IT Security, this distinction is still made.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 11:18 AM
My humble contribution. My world for the past 25 years has been in hacking. Now don't get your undies in a bunch. We work to intentionally break our own code to make it less potentially vulnerable to those we call "crackers", those with nefarious intent to break code, steal information or commit some other kind of cyber crime. I know a word begins to mean what it is used for and to most people hacker means nefarious intent and cracker in my neighborhood is a racial slur against whites. However, in my world of IT Security, this distinction is still made.

Thanks for the correction!

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Shawn, if we do something with hacking, you could be our go to consultant!

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 12:01 PM

I'd love to hear what you think of my script! It's in the thread labeled "Scripts". It's the only submission there so far.

shawnrohrbach
05-12-2013, 12:02 PM
I'll take a look

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks! Be warned it is sort of Hollywood hacking although slightly better in that it doesn't involve typing really really fast and hard or viruses represented by laughing skulls.

shawnrohrbach
05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I actually like it... I was asking myself all the way up to the conversation with Croyle what the hell they were going after and that added some tension. My question is, did they manipulate stock prices or did they do something else to enrich Croyle? I may have missed that. The only comment on the "Hollywood hacking" is that it's also like if someone writes a script with ski racing in it, I always cringe because I was on the circuit for almost a decade, but if it works for the story, let it go. The only technical comment would be the use of skype, it uses a totally traceable protocol, and your people got traced. The real crackers can, and do, write a proprietary and unique live audio/video chat program with a complex enough algorithm that it becomes an untraceable and even invisible chat room. I could go further into technical details and put your audience fast asleep and ruin an otherwise good script. This is a step up from the 90's version of the same thing, but one that has been seen again recently; that is the use of a shared email account in an obscure email system. Five to ten people have the same log in and password to the same account and instead of ever sending email, they just put the information in a draft and keep saving drafts, and then opening them to take the information they need. Larger email systems such as MSN, Gmail, etc., have written programs that sniff activity such as this to hunt down potential illegal activity so the risks of continued use of this methodology continue to rise. I could take us down the road of owning a secure domain and creating communications programs specific to that domain, but now we are going into the deep end of the pool and it might lose the flair your original story has.

shawnrohrbach
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
The other thing about skype is it has been using the same protocol as MSN and g-chat ( and others), which allows a $12 (I like Ming chat sniff) program to sniff everything in the chat. If you are sitting in a coffee shop and chatting up a storm, I can sit across the room and actually see all the words written on all ends of the chat and also listen and watch audio/video chat. So far, there are no laws protecting chat from this and this is why Mircrosoft always warns against using ssn#s, checking account #'s etc in any chat. Now, this may add a new twist to your story is someone is sniffing the skyped chats. For what it's worth.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 12:54 PM
The other thing about skype is it has been using the same protocol as MSN and g-chat ( and others), which allows a $12 (I like Ming chat sniff) program to sniff everything in the chat. If you are sitting in a coffee shop and chatting up a storm, I can sit across the room and actually see all the words written on all ends of the chat and also listen and watch audio/video chat. So far, there are no laws protecting chat from this and this is why Mircrosoft always warns against using ssn#s, checking account #'s etc in any chat. Now, this may add a new twist to your story is someone is sniffing the skyped chats. For what it's worth.

It's definitely helpful to have a hacking expert on the site!

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-12-2013, 01:32 PM
So far, everyone on this thread thinks that a hacker idea would be O.K. Is there anyone that is opposed to it?

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I actually like it... I was asking myself all the way up to the conversation with Croyle what the hell they were going after and that added some tension. My question is, did they manipulate stock prices or did they do something else to enrich Croyle? I may have missed that. The only comment on the "Hollywood hacking" is that it's also like if someone writes a script with ski racing in it, I always cringe because I was on the circuit for almost a decade, but if it works for the story, let it go. The only technical comment would be the use of skype, it uses a totally traceable protocol, and your people got traced. The real crackers can, and do, write a proprietary and unique live audio/video chat program with a complex enough algorithm that it becomes an untraceable and even invisible chat room. I could go further into technical details and put your audience fast asleep and ruin an otherwise good script. This is a step up from the 90's version of the same thing, but one that has been seen again recently; that is the use of a shared email account in an obscure email system. Five to ten people have the same log in and password to the same account and instead of ever sending email, they just put the information in a draft and keep saving drafts, and then opening them to take the information they need. Larger email systems such as MSN, Gmail, etc., have written programs that sniff activity such as this to hunt down potential illegal activity so the risks of continued use of this methodology continue to rise. I could take us down the road of owning a secure domain and creating communications programs specific to that domain, but now we are going into the deep end of the pool and it might lose the flair your original story has.

Thanks!

I never intended for them to be literally using skype, copyright concerns mostly. I wrote skype so people reading will quickly know what I'm talking about.

Those other techniques you were talking about sound very interesting and I'll definitely keep it in mind. My thinking when I wrote this was that it could be a tie in to an eventual feature. It could comprise the first ten minutes or it could simply exist in the same world and have promotional/fundraising purposes.

The idea I was going for is that they're hacking the various micro transaction devices at the stock exchange to increase the value of Croyle's stock. If I know my economics right (and I might not) if they were able to force those programs to buy a particular stock its value would shoot up, then they could initiate a sell order for Croyle's stock. I heard on a Daily Show interview that some micro-transaction devices work so fast that they need to be within 13 inches of the stock exchange because the speed of light is a limiting factor. I figure that would be a good target because they could manipulate things long before a human could intervene. I didn't go into detail because I wasn't sure if the exposition would be too much. I think I would like to make that more clear, I want the story to have a lot of current issues in it and touching on micro transaction controversy is a good one.

shawnrohrbach
05-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I think just one line or two saying you got the device close enough to do exactly that and go on. I like forcing my audience to do a little research after the fact.

Patrick Wiley
05-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I think just one line or two saying you got the device close enough to do exactly that and go on. I like forcing my audience to do a little research after the fact.

I think I might have it represented visually on Kyle's screen. Some text that says "Accessing Micro Transaction Servers" then "Initiating buy orders" then "Sell CBSH Shares, [Yes] [No]".

shawnrohrbach
05-12-2013, 04:39 PM
missed that. that works.

brianknapp
05-13-2013, 02:18 PM
We could call Anon and ask them to shot some footage for us :p

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
we could call anon and ask them to shot some footage for us :p

lol