PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Go About This...

The Camera Man
05-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Greetings.

So I'm starting to produce my first major project, which ironically is for my college assignment titled 'Final Major Project'.

Yes, it's my last film in college, so unlike my other films, I thought about making something big! By that, I mean a long, thrilling drama with actual actors (because we've never hired actors in our class for our films), good storyline and something with avoids being a cliche student film.

Well, I say cliche student film, but I've actually got quite a simple storyline following a detective's investigation into a trio of bloody murders, but that's irrelevant right now.

Here is what I ask of you:

Our group are going to approach the Performing Arts students of our college to ask how many of them would be willing to act in the film. The only problem is, I'm not quite sure how to go about this.

How do you folks gain talent for your films, and if you where in our situation, how would you ask this to the class?

Thought I'd ask you experienced film maker folk for helpful advice!

mara
05-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Rather than asking if they are "willing" to act, tell them that you will give them an opportunity to audition ! Assure them that they will get a copy of the movie on DVD (and make sure you deliver that), and they will get a clip of their work in your movie that they can use in your reel. Any aspiring actor should be interested in on-camera experience and credits .

dory811
05-10-2013, 06:21 AM
If you want the best cast you can possibly have you will probably want to have some auditions.

When I am casting for a film I use a casting website to help find local talent. I use LA Casting because I'm in LA, I'm not sure if there's anything like that where you are at but a quick google search should tell you. Even if you just decide to ask the performing arts students I think auditions might be a good idea, because it will help you find out who is actually willing to put the time into the film and show up.

In regards to your approach asking them, I would say just go for it, go into one of their classes, announce what you're doing and find out who is interested. Make sure it's clear what's in it for them, because the bottom line is usually pretty important. For them, this is experience, reel footage, good for their resume, etc. When you do this have a flyer to hand out, or a notebook where you can get contact info for anyone who wants in.

Havey
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
You for sure want to approach them asking if they would like to audition. Then if you get a high enough turn out, hold an audition. If you aren't going to be paying the actors you should assure them that you will take care of them during the shoot...supply them with food and drinks, ect. Also they will of course get credit in the film, which to a lot of people is a HUGE deal. Then tell them they will get a copy of the DVD and maybe provide them with something else small.

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Rather than asking if they are "willing" to act, tell them that you will give them an opportunity to audition ! Assure them that they will get a copy of the movie on DVD (and make sure you deliver that), and they will get a clip of their work in your movie that they can use in your reel. Any aspiring actor should be interested in on-camera experience and credits .

Yes. Make it sound like it's their opportunity, not a favor to you.

Director
05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Listen, the truth is, if actors weren't acting they would be waiting tables in some restaurant. Mara's right. Do a casting call for auditions. Tell them they will get IMDB credits and that you intend to submit this to some film festivals, and then do it. But, you must submit it through the website withoutabox.com because it's owned by Internet Movie Data Base, and any festival you submit to using withoutabox, you have the privilege of listing your credits on IMDB.

Here's the link: https://www.withoutabox.com/

Vance Baryn
05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Yep hold auditions. Performing arts departments often have a notice board set up for people to announce auditions since that's the kind of thing performing arts people are particularly interested in. Be specific about your project and what the participants will get out of it if they are cast and participate (usually a copy of the film and food on set for a student film).

Mark
05-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Good info here guys. Thanks!

brianknapp
05-11-2013, 03:04 PM
I would offer them food. Thats it just be like work for me for the day and pizza and drinks are on me!

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I would offer them food. Thats it just be like work for me for the day and pizza and drinks are on me!

This depends the type of actors. If they are friends, this will probably work. If they are students, this may work. If they are professionals... well good luck offering them food!

brianknapp
05-11-2013, 03:13 PM
This depends the type of actors. If they are friends, this will probably work. If they are students, this may work. If they are professionals... well good luck offering them food!
Well I was thinking that at least some of them would want to be in at least some sort of short or whatever to at least have some experience to put on a resume for future acting gigs and that in the hopes they would do this for nothing

The Camera Man
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
We took your advice to the students today. I now have all of the talent that is needed for my film, and an actress that seems to be attracted to me...

Your advice has been crucial to get this done. For example, they sort of hinted that they would need a copy of the film, which I wouldn't have caught unless it was mentioned in this thread. I appreciate it, folks!