PDA

View Full Version : Panning Audio Left/Right

czstealth
05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I have a scene in which we are looking straight at a character who is holding a phone up to his right ear (camera left). Should I pan the audio to the right (to simulate character perspective) or to the left (to simulate audience perspective)?

Jsthompson79
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Neither in my opinion. I would only pan the audio left or right if the camera is moving left or right.

2001 Productions
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes, dialogue should be centered except in rare circumstances (e.g. an offscreen shout that causes an onscreen character to react by turning one way or the other). Sound effects should be mixed from the audience perspective -- screen right or screen left.

Director
05-08-2013, 09:44 PM
First off, I hope your mixing 5.1, or 7.1 surround sound, if not, then you should be.

You almost always keep your dialogue centered. I say almost, because you could have some situations where you want to create a creepy effect. Imagine someone walking down a dark alley and they hear a voice calling their name coming from one side, then the next.

But for your specific example, a telephone call, you want to keep it centered. But you can use the muffled phone sound effect.

However, for your foley you can get more creative, An example would be a train passing by. Panning from right to left is not only fine, but probably expected.

Nick Soares
05-09-2013, 10:26 AM
in 5.1 or 7.1 dialog should always be hitting the speakers in perspective to the film. If someone is yelling behind the camera then "the ideal" way to do it is to place the audio behind.

I am no surround sound expert, though I do have surround :)

Director
05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
in 5.1 or 7.1 dialog should always be hitting the speakers in perspective to the film. If someone is yelling behind the camera then "the ideal" way to do it is to place the audio behind.

I am no surround sound expert, though I do have surround :)

Another good example.