PDA

View Full Version : I'm an aspiring mogul.

Aspiringmogul
05-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Some of you may know me from other places, but others may not.

I've been wanting to be a film producer for many years, and, I've been hanging around other places asking questions, always asking, and I've got nothing to show for it. That said, I've learned a lot, and I'm still thinking of being a producer, and, even though the current economy is discouraging, I'm not willing to give up yet.

Those who know me will know I am superstitious, namely, I believe in the Summer Glau curse. Hope we have fun.

Vance Baryn
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! I had to go look up the Summer Glau curse because I wasn't familiar with it. You seriously believe in it? as in it being an actual curse? I think the best explanation came from a blog I just read about it which basically said that Summer Glau does a lot of science fiction. Science fiction tends to have a smaller audience than some other types of shows and therefore gets cancelled early more often.

Aspiringmogul
05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Vance. You've touched on my favorite topic - that's a good omen. :)

2001 Productions
05-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Welcome, A.M.

Aspiringmogul
05-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Thank you, 2001.

Anyone else know me? Rik, are you here? :)

mara
05-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say I know you, but I HAVE seen you on another site.

Havey
05-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Aspiringmogul
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks, Mara and Havey. :)

Nick Soares
05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Mara and Havey. :)

Hey [#]Aspiringmogul[/#] welcome to Filmmaker Forum!

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I've been wanting to be a film producer for many years, and, I've been hanging around other places asking questions, always asking, and I've got nothing to show for it.

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions you want, and we will try to answer them!

Aspiringmogul
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks! :)

To give a little bit about myself, I'm a middle-aged professional with his own film, and I've been wanting to go into film for several years. The current economy has put a crimp in my plans, but I'm still moving doggedly along, having visited a couple of film markets and talking to people.

Nick Soares
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I've been hanging around other places asking questions, always asking, and I've got nothing to show for it.

You joined the right place, I can help you become a profitable indie producer

Aspiringmogul
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
You joined the right place, I can help you become a profitable indie producer

Great! How so? :)

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Nick has his ways...

Nick Soares
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Thats up to you, and what questions you ask :)

*EDIT* Make sure to create new topics for questions though, its easier that way

brianknapp
05-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Welcome this place is pretty tight, are you talking about Indy Mogul?

Aspiringmogul
05-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm not Indy Mogul, but I think we've met on other places, Brian.

Director
05-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Some of you may know me from other places, but others may not.

I've been wanting to be a film producer for many years, and, I've been hanging around other places asking questions, always asking, and I've got nothing to show for it. That said, I've learned a lot, and I'm still thinking of being a producer, and, even though the current economy is discouraging, I'm not willing to give up yet.

Those who know me will know I am superstitious, namely, I believe in the Summer Glau curse. Hope we have fun.

Welcome Aspiringmogul.

You say you want to be a producer, but didn't say where you live. Having lived in other states myself, I know that unless you're in California, or at least New York, there is not a lot of production that goes on. Asking questions is fine, but maybe it's time to take your toes out of the water and dive in head first. What I mean is that, no one goes from just asking questions to being a producer.

Maybe start as a PA on some productions. If you're here in California, especially the LA area, that's a really easy gig to land. In fact, I'll fix you right up.

From there you start meeting people, getting jobs on other productions, and networking. If you have the guts to hang in there, and strive towards your goal, you just might make it. It's not easy. In fact production is hard work, and some people can't take the long hours, standing in the heat or cold, going without a lot of sleep, doing jobs that are beneath them, little pay, lousy food, hauling gear, and the list goes on. I've gotten three people PA jobs on production crews. To this day, only one kept with it and is now doing lighting for a company.

But if you really love production, like most of us on FMF, you will persevere.

Aspiringmogul
05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Good point, Director. I'm in Canada, which used to have a lot of film work before the Financial Crisis.

I am also a working professional with his own firm, and I was inspired to get into film by the documentary, "Empire of Dreams", about the creation of George Lucas' Star Wars original trilogy. So I set out to get my business experience, put money aside, and, over time, figure a way into the business. The Crisis has put a crimp into my plans, but I'm hopefully going to recover from it.

I've met quite a few people, and I've learned a lot over the past few years. But I haven't quite figured a way to be a film producer, because I do have a business, and I don't want to give up a comfortable lifestyle. In fact, I want to be a mogul like George Lucas, which is explains my username.

Capiche? :)

2001 Productions
05-09-2013, 08:17 AM
I haven't quite figured a way to be a film producer, because I do have a business, and I don't want to give up a comfortable lifestyle. In fact, I want to be a mogul like George Lucas, which is explains my username.

Nothing wrong with aspiring to be George Lucas. Just keep in mind that George Lucas graduated from USC film school, having written and directed an award-winning student film, which his friend Francis Ford Coppola enabled him to expand into a feature. He then wrote and directed another film which was a huge success. He then spent years trying to get somebody to finance his space opera movie, which nobody wanted anything to do with. He finally agreed to make it for next to nothing, with the provision that he would retain all ancillary rights. The windfall he received as a result enabled him to do anything he wanted from then on; a mogul was born.

The point is, Lucas was in the right place, knew the right people, busted his ass for years in the trenches, was incredibly talented and lucky, and managed to exploit a contractual stipulation that no studio will ever allow again. He didn't just stroll in off the street and become a mogul.

Having said that, if you have the financial wherewithal you can definitely buy your way in. It's been done before by many a Hollywood mogul.

brianknapp
05-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Really where can I ask because I can't think of any other places!

Aspiringmogul
05-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I was thinking of someone else, Brian. My apologies.

brianknapp
05-09-2013, 12:47 PM

I was thinking of someone else, Brian. My apologies.
Oh ok that's coool.

Director
05-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Dude, did you know that Canada has a state run filmmakers fund to support the industry?

When I found that out I was green with envy. Read about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Board_of_Canada

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Dude, did you know that Canada has a state run filmmakers fund to support the industry?

When I found that out I was green with envy. Read about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Board_of_Canada

I think green with envy is an understatement!

L A Morgan
05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I suggest that you should go to local film festivals and meet the people there. You'll find it inspirational. Define your budget, make a business plan, and acquire or write a script with potential. Produce it and enter it into film festivals. Good luck!