PDA

View Full Version : Sharing some experience so far with crowdfunding projects

XavHumanity
05-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Hello Film Maker forum members,

I post this message to share with you some experiences and details, it might brings you to the light some details you might not know before starting your own campaign. Let's introduce my self. I'm Xavier Bottet, I have nearly 20 years in Art Direction projects, yes mainly in Video games but I direct and did lot of other things. I direct a Sport fitness video training like 9 years ago, did lot of comics project, create and publish roleplaying games. I devloped solely an App for Kids for Halloween last year and released it on Apple and Andro´d Tablets. Few month ago, we've started a project of ab Horror Motion comics. We considered that today the market was and is open to new experience and new medias to tell stories we like mixing multiple medias and way to tell an adult comics. It's from these ideas, these motivations we started to work and prepare our project Near Humanity. I posted a topic about it here:

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/kickstarter-indigogo-projects/2123-near-humanity-motion-comics-crowdfunding-official-launch.html#post11271

So let's share with you now some details:

We planned at first to go with Kickstarter, but as my partner and I, we are not US or UK residents, we planned to do as many people going from overseas, using offshore companies to incorporate a business. It could be a great idea, but get prepared to have a bunch of dollars to pay and be able to pay for one year of "business" as if your project will raise or not funds, at least 2000 up to 3000/4000$. You will have to register your comapnies, pay the companies who will register your companies, pay tax during the year of your companie's existence. Well, get prepared also to close your comapnies, and pay what is needed if it don't go the way we all hope to.

We went and we are now on Indiegogo. Yes it doesn't ask as much as complex details. You don't need to be incorporated. You can get payed by paypal but following which types of funding you ask, consider that the funds raised will around 88% of what you raised, because, Indiegogo takes 9% in flexible fund system and Paypal get 3% of your funds raised... Then... consider that from what you raise, you will have to pay the perks/pledge cost. It might take off a big part of your fund raised, it's the saint grall you win. Yes it's a win-win situation, but take your time, analyse your pledges's cost, what's your margin, shipping etc.

Regarding Each platforms, from my experience and what we read, Indiegogo tells they are helping Indies projects, some prefer it over Kickstarter. Budgets are lower on Indiegogo and sometimes less blingbling. What we've learn not so far, and what I encourage you to do is to read, read again, read more, to make your decision, as Indiegogo yes has this gogofactor which "helps" bring active project in the light: Post lot of news, promote your project etc, and you will climb up in the charts, but one thing not easy to find is this point...
First 4 days of your campaign, you will be in the charts, if you have at least 10$, after 7 days you need to have at least 100$ and after 2 weeks you need to have 500$ to be in charts. There's no concept of having a great or bad project, it's just based on your funds.

So as many does, as for Kickstarter or Indiegogo, you should have some "fake" backers who will pay to help you stay in the lights. I'm not frustrated, I'm now more aware of things before we start the campaign. I hope these details will help your own campaign in your time.

Other advice, get prepared and have a little of budget to pay advertising, promoting on portals, forums is great but you might really need to have to pay true advertising campaign, even if they are small campaigns to get some visibility, to get people aware of your project.

To end this post, yes if you can help and contribute to our project, I would greatly appreciate your move and you can't imagine the wow effect of each support.

Thank you so much, keep faith in your projects and let's try to bring some truly Indie projects to the lights.

Cheers,
Xavier

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the forum!

brianknapp
05-09-2013, 04:33 AM
Welcome this place is pretty cool and thanks for the advice!

Havey
05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Some good advice. Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Director
05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Budgets are lower on Indiegogo and sometimes less blingbling.

I'm sorry. My jive is a bit rusty these days. Could someone translate this for me?

Anonymous Filmmaker
05-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Heres a link to the online slang dictionary: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/bling-bling

There's supposed to be a hyphen; no wonder you were confused! (I had no idea either.)

XavHumanity
05-11-2013, 05:58 AM
HI Director,

Sorry for Blinbling usage, it's not that crude, but might not clear as it would need to be in my explanations. In fact, Kickstarter's project are often hosted by companies, professionals, and are often fashionable. There are some creative products, but many are represented by companies, as if they might be small. Also budgets asked for the raising are often bigger on Kickstarter than on Indiegogo.

But get prepared again to get a promotional budget to promote, pay reviews, pays banners, video campaigns if you don't already have a big audience for your projects. Don't see it as a negative feeling, but Golden days of Crowdfunding are starting to be behind us. Look in these portals numbers of projects displayed, and look at their presentations. Lot of efforts, money, supports are given to the big funded campaign. Being an Indie with no big names, will not be a walk in the park.

Also, If you plan to start a campaign take a look at dates, avoid summer who will be a no man's land: Many people are in holidays, away sometimes to their computers.

Cheers,
Xavier